Cast member themes!

Sammyste

Original Poster
I noticed on my trip to WDW last week that there was something missing within every ride I went on. It wasn't the ride itself but the atmosphere of the cast members. They were not submersed into the characters as they once had, and most of them just talk about their personal life rather than making us believe in the ride. Maybe Disney should consider more disciplined training for specific rides themselves.

thelookingglass

Yeah, the quality of show you get from CMs keeps getting progressively worse. I don't expect every CM to be like TJ from Tower of Terror (if you've seen him, you'll know), but it would be at least nice to see them use the correct themed terms and not ignore everyone and joke among themselves.

Or, not as bad but still embarrassing, is when they try to "theme" but do it wrong, like for example, Mission: Space CMs saying "Welcome to Mars" at the end of the ride (you didn't go to Mars, it was just a training mission simulation per the official story and everything the videos told you) or calling you a "rock star" at Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (you're not the rock stars, Aerosmith is. You're just VIPs)

mp2bill

Yeah, the quality of show you get from CMs keeps getting progressively worse. I don't expect every CM to be like TJ from Tower of Terror (if you've seen him, you'll know), but it would be at least nice to see them use the correct themed terms and not ignore everyone and joke among themselves.

Or, not as bad but still embarrassing, is when they try to "theme" but do it wrong, like for example, Mission: Space CMs saying "Welcome to Mars" at the end of the ride (you didn't go to Mars, it was just a training mission simulation per the official story and everything the videos told you) or calling you a "rock star" at Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (you're not the rock stars, Aerosmith is. You're just VIPs)

lol

Wilt Dasney

This gets a little meta-, but I don't think these strictly have to be a deviation from theme. I can imagine going to an actual astronaut simulation program (as opposed to a simulated simulation, like M:S) and having employees say things like "welcome to Mars" as a playful way to set the mood of the experience. Basically you can imagine that the CM's are so savvy that they're pretending to pretend to welcome you to Mars..or that they're just incompetent and don't understand the story of their own ride. (I'd prefer to assume the former and keep on moving.) :lol:

Crockett

Banned
Upon exiting SSE a couple years back, there were two CM's talking amongst themselves (where exiting passengers could hear), about the rough job market in Central Fla.

I'd take "Welcome to Mars" over that any day.

CLandrum

On our recent trip in May we were in MK for EMH at around 1am and were going into Stitch's Great Escape. We had a fantastic CM. He was a young black guy(I wish I would have got his name). He had a little laser and was yelling and screaming for us to hurry and really got into character. He did such a great job that the CMs around him that looked bored got into it with him. It was great. It was probably the only time I have ever been excited to do Stitch. I wish more CMs got into the part as much as this guy it would really bring things back up to "Disney standards."

I wanted to add that we also ran into a lady working at one of the kiosks by Expedition Everest that was yelling to the crowds to make sure they had their oxegen tanks and plenty of water. It was pretty cute. So I guess some of the good CMs are still out there. I just wish there were more.

Thrill Seeker

First off, TJ is currently at Star Tours just FYI... (I love the guy, he's great). The other difficult part is that it does get tiring trying to be themed when doing everything and having people ignore you. I'm not defending other CMs who don't use theming correctly, but I am saying it's not as easy as it sounds.

graphite1326

On our recent trip in May we were in MK for EMH at around 1am and were going into Stitch's Great Escape. We had a fantastic CM. He was a young black guy(I wish I would have got his name). He had a little laser and was yelling and screaming for us to hurry and really got into character. He did such a great job that the CMs around him that looked bored got into it with him. It was great. It was probably the only time I have ever been excited to do Stitch. I wish more CMs got into the part as much as this guy it would really bring things back up to "Disney standards."

I wanted to add that we also ran into a lady working at one of the kiosks by Expedition Everest that was yelling to the crowds to make sure they had their oxegen tanks and plenty of water. It was pretty cute. So I guess some of the good CMs are still out there. I just wish there were more.

WOW! You go on Stitch?

celluloid

Tower of Terror as suffered from this terribly from my recent experience.

Smiles, no character attempt at all. And I got welcomed to the Tower of Terror while entering the library. Not The Hollywood Tower Hotel. I know slip ups happen and they are humans but something is wrong when I don't see one CM trying.

LilSuzy

How long has TJ been working at Disney World? I came across someone who was definitely into character on my first trip in 1998. He was AWESOME. I remembered then how much more enjoyable the ride was because of that. :wave:

Wilt Dasney

How long has TJ been working at Disney World? I came across someone who was definitely into character on my first trip in 1998. He was AWESOME. I remembered then how much more enjoyable the ride was because of that. :wave:

He opened Tower...so at least 1994 (and likely earlier).

JIMINYCR

First off, TJ is currently at Star Tours just FYI... (I love the guy, he's great).

Last trip to WDW I got a great picture of myself with TJ at TOT. I will miss his presence there. He was a great addition to the theming of the attraction. Was the move because he tired of the role, wanted a change, or just reassigned by manager ? Any way he will be missed and I wish him success in the new role.

WDWLOYAL1971

I noticed on my trip to WDW last week that there was something missing within every ride I went on. It wasn't the ride itself but the atmosphere of the cast members. They were not submersed into the characters as they once had, and most of them just talk about their personal life rather than making us believe in the ride. Maybe Disney should consider more disciplined training for specific rides themselves.

I've experienced this too. I've seen a few that appear to be tired of asking "how many in your party?" and I don't mean physically tired but in a fed up kind of way, as if they're bored with their job. Luckily those have been few. But I also understand that as easy as it looks, that may not be the case each ride and section as a superior and they could be the cause. A few years back I was purchasing a clock in the glass shop on Main Street. This very helpful C.M. who was doing stock work, noticed I had been waiting at the register for some assistance and no one came, I was just patiently waiting. He dropped what he was doing, he asked me if I needed assistance and I replied that I was waiting to purchase the clock. He took the time to carefully wrap it, he couldn't find the original box so he was looking for one to put it in, when from I don't know where, comes this lady who I'm guessing was the supervisor and chewed him out for not doing his work. I felt horrible for this young man. I stepped up and firmly told her that while I was waiting at the register and no one came, he actually noticed there was a customer, he was kind enough to stop what he was doing to assist me and I personally didn't appreciate the way she was talking to him. She apologized to me and I told her that it was him she needed to apologize to. Boy did that bother her. This young man felt so embarrassed in front of me that he was being talked to that way in front of a guest. So there may be alot these C.M put up that we really are unaware of. Does it justify them not being in character? No. Does it help me be more understanding? Yes. I simply offer them a smile and wish them a great day.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I've experienced this too. I've seen a few that appear to be tired of asking "how many in your party?" and I don't mean physically tired but in a fed up kind of way, as if they're bored with their job. Luckily those have been few. But I also understand that as easy as it looks, that may not be the case each ride and section as a superior and they could be the cause. A few years back I was purchasing a clock in the glass shop on Main Street. This very helpful C.M. who was doing stock work, noticed I had been waiting at the register for some assistance and no one came, I was just patiently waiting. He dropped what he was doing, he asked me if I needed assistance and I replied that I was waiting to purchase the clock. He took the time to carefully wrap it, he couldn't find the original box so he was looking for one to put it in, when from I don't know where, comes this lady who I'm guessing was the supervisor and chewed him out for not doing his work. I felt horrible for this young man. I stepped up and firmly told her that while I was waiting at the register and no one came, he actually noticed there was a customer, he was kind enough to stop what he was doing to assist me and I personally didn't appreciate the way she was talking to him. She apologized to me and I told her that it was him she needed to apologize to. Boy did that bother her. This young man felt so embarrassed in front of me that he was being talked to that way in front of a guest. So there may be alot these C.M put up that we really are unaware of. Does it justify them not being in character? No. Does it help me be more understanding? Yes. I simply offer them a smile and wish them a great day.

Good for you.

ifyoucandream

I definitely do agree with all of the above posts. I plan on working in the parks during one of the next few summers, (I will be moving to FL from NJ) and I've been trying to prepare myself for whatever situation, however uncomfortable, may come my way. (For example, "What is that big cord that connects to the castle?" "That's where Cinderella hangs her laundry to dry!") But I do understand that not all the CMs are as passionate about what they do as some of us are so passionate about the parks. For some, it's simply another place to work. Seeing posts like this make me really want to move and work there already, just so I can wow you all! :)

Wilt Dasney

Last trip to WDW I got a great picture of myself with TJ at TOT. I will miss his presence there. He was a great addition to the theming of the attraction. Was the move because he tired of the role, wanted a change, or just reassigned by manager ? Any way he will be missed and I wish him success in the new role.

I don't know that this is the case, but it could be a temporary move to let him assist with theming and coherent story now that Star Tours is a "new" attraction in a sense, with new costumes to accompany the new films.

I remember him leaving operations to spend some time with ToT merchandise CM's for a bit when I worked there, and the main reason seemed to be to help merch (!) establish a more coherent story behind their roles.

thelookingglass

First off, TJ is currently at Star Tours just FYI... (I love the guy, he's great). The other difficult part is that it does get tiring trying to be themed when doing everything and having people ignore you. I'm not defending other CMs who don't use theming correctly, but I am saying it's not as easy as it sounds.
I understand what you're saying, and I'm sure trying to quickly insert bits of story for the average guest who doesn't pay attention (most people) to understand is hard and sometimes they opt for saying the easier phrases... but I don't think knowing the correct story for the ride you work at is asking too much.

It may not even be that CM's fault, though. Perhaps better training is needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom