Cast member injured at Animal Kingdom

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I do pray the CM is okay.

Sounds to me like PW is a bad omen after last year's CM death and now this.

The last accident was an OSHA violation that has been remedied. This time it appears that the ride was not even functioning when the CM got hurt. How odd.

I hope he/she will be OK.

Rob562

The last accident was an OSHA violation that has been remedied. This time it appears that the ride was not even functioning when the CM got hurt. How odd.

I hope he/she will be OK.

I was about to say... Isn't PW closed for a 3-month refurb? It's slated to be closed through mid-April. I presume this was a construction worker who was injured?

-Rob

R W B

Sorry to hear someone got hurt enough to have to be air lifted out. I thought this ride was closed because remember thinking I was going to be happy when I go in Mid May because I think i'm in the minority who actually likes this ride, lol.

Alektronic

I was about to say... Isn't PW closed for a 3-month refurb? It's slated to be closed through mid-April. I presume this was a construction worker who was injured?

-Rob

Maintenance CM's usually help out during rehabs. Sometimes there are big projects or some small projects, they are usually doing most of the work unless it involves heavy construction. They are the ones who know the rides best.

Scuttle

Sorry to hear someone got hurt enough to have to be air lifted out. I thought this ride was closed because remember thinking I was going to be happy when I go in Mid May because I think i'm in the minority who actually likes this ride, lol.[

It's a very fun ride, but the theming is arguably the worst of any ride in WDW.

Last Updated: Monday, March 14, 2011 12:40 PM
A cast member at Disney's Animal Kingdom died after suffering head injuries while working on a ride.

Russell Roscoe was working on the Primeval Whirl Sunday afternoon when he was injured.

The 52-year-old Webster, Fla. resident was flown to Orlando Regional Medical Center in critical condition. He was pronounced dead early Monday morning.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the death.

The ride is located in the Dinoland U.S.A. area of the park.

The ride was not in operation at the time and is currently undergoing some refurbishment work.

So sad to hear :(

Alektronic

Russ was an Attraction Mechanic with AK Engineering Services(attractions maintenance) East. His brother Ron, still works at Epcot. My condolences to the whole Roscoe family.

Primeval Whirl is a very dangerous ride to work on even on normal conditions. That is why they are re-doing the ride again. New ride braking systems, new motors and controls, new wiring. When parts are falling off the ride vehicles and track daily, it needs to be maintained better or just replaced with a safer ride.

PW is just AK's money pit, they keep trying to make it safer, spending most of the budget there, then neglecting the other attractions like Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali. Compare how many rehabs that Primeval has had to Everest and Dinosaur.

wdwfan22

UPDATE: ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A Walt Disney World employee was pronounced dead Monday morning, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Investigators said 52-year-old Russell Sherry Roscoe was rushed to the hospital Sunday after suffering a head injury while working on a ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Disney officials said Roscoe was working on the Primeval Whirl attraction when the accident happened around 3:45pm.

The ride, which Disney describes as a mild rollercoaster, is closed while undergoing maintenance so no guests were in the area when the accident happened. Bo Jones, the assistant chief of Reedy Creek Emergency Services, says the cause of the accident was not clear.

"Our concern at this time is for the cast member. We've sent a fellow cast member to the hospital to provide assistance to him and his family," said a Walt Disney World spokesperson.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit is working

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Russ was an Attraction Mechanic with AK Engineering Services(attractions maintenance) East. His brother Ron, still works at Epcot. My condolences to the whole Roscoe family.

Primeval Whirl is a very dangerous ride to work on even on normal conditions. That is why they are re-doing the ride again. New ride braking systems, new motors and controls, new wiring. When parts are falling off the ride vehicles and track daily, it needs to be maintained better or just replaced with a safer ride.

PW is just AK's money pit, they keep trying to make it safer, spending most of the budget there, then neglecting the other attractions like Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali. Compare how many rehabs that Primeval has had to Everest and Dinosaur.
Correct me if I am mistaken but isn't PW an off the shelf coaster? If that is indeed the case do the other coasters have the same issues or is this a case of WDW getting a 1.0 model that is riddled with issues that have been corrected in later designs?

Chape19714

Correct me if I am mistaken but isn't PW an off the shelf coaster? If that is indeed the case do the other coasters have the same issues or is this a case of WDW getting a 1.0 model that is riddled with issues that have been corrected in later designs?
Yep. It's off the shelf. Cypress gardens had an exact copy of it for a while, but different theaming, and no storage track to remove 1 car. That's the only difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom