Cast Experience Announcements

Disone

A one time 40% off mobile order discount code…
I know a lot of people are trying to have some fun at Disney's expense on this. Painting that ever so rosy picture of what it's like to work for Disney. But for the record, they are currently offering :

a 50% discount for the month of August to cast.

They have lifted genuinely opened up the block out calendar so that most days are actually available.

And they're throwing cast exclusive parties in the parks, " iridescent evenings" that come with unlimited free snacks and drinks along with admission and bring a friend.

And they have starting wages that are significantly higher then they are being giving credit for. One example: $17 an hour for housekeeping plus 1k signing bonus.

So honestly yes, they are trying.

mm52200

I know a lot of people are trying to have some fun at Disney's expense on this. Painting that ever so rosy picture of what it's like to work for Disney. But for the record, they are currently offering :

a 50% discount for the month of August to cast.

They have lifted genuinely opened up the block out calendar so that most days are actually available.

And they're throwing cast exclusive parties in the parks, " iridescent evenings" that come with unlimited free snacks and drinks along with admission and bring a friend.

And they have starting wages that are significantly higher then they are being giving credit for. One example: $17 an hour for housekeeping plus 1k signing bonus.

They can lift the “blockout calendar” and that still can mean the cast members are unblocked from an exclusively much much much smaller bucket of available reservations for their ticket types.

Disone

They can lift the “blockout calendar” and that still can mean the cast members are unblocked from an exclusively much much much smaller bucket of available reservations for their ticket types.
Some reservation availability on almost everyday is better than none on most dates no matter how you spin it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Well they really have to, and I would say they aren't trying anywhere near hard enough.

Cast morale is at an all time low, cast are leaving at a rate unseen before, and recruiting new cast is almost impossible. As explained to me by a leader, the casting process is now something like this...

1. they have a pulse
2. have a car to get to the location
3. hired

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Well they really have to, and I would say they aren't trying anywhere near hard enough.

Cast morale is at an all time low, cast are leaving at a rate unseen before, and recruiting new cast is almost impossible. As explained to me by a leader, the casting process is now something like this...

1. they have a pulse
3. hired

If only they had a group of people who work other jobs that were willing to come and fill in gaps in the schedule during busier times.

Ayla

1. they have a pulse
3. hired
And it shows.

AEfx

Whatever these improvements are, I hope they are in addition to increasing pay rather than instead of… It stands to reason that people who are expected to provide a “world class” level of service should be paid more than those at companies that only expect “average” service.
I've been saying this for a very long time. Like, a dozen years or more. This was clearly coming, it was just a matter of when. COVID helped push it over the edge, just like it did so many other things.

Even from the logistical standpoint - it is such a PITA to work for Disney - from just getting to work, parking, taking shuttles, dealing with uniforms/costumes, etc. etc. - that I don't blame folks at all who can work pretty much anywhere else, for the same or better hourly wage, and just park outside of where they work five minutes before their shift starts and walk in.

Disney relied way too heavily for a very long time on people who were willing to put up with it all to be "part of the magic" - and of course, much of that was padded out by CPers who were happy to be janitors or sling fries for a few bucks an hour by the time housing, etc. was taken out (if you count food, many barely broke even).

People are finally getting what they wished for. You would see threads like this over the years and everyone is all "If you don't like it, get a better job!" and, well - that's exactly what has happened. It's happening everywhere, in fact, and Disney has exhausted any "magical" immunity it used to have to the labor market to insulate itself from it.

The labor force is just fed up, everywhere - and no longer willing to put up with anything just for that paycheck. When they are willing to meet the demands, they want to be decently compensated for it. No company right now, not even Disney, can rely on people being forced to take whatever they can get. People are learning how to get better jobs, or how to live on less, and the endless pool of worker bees just isn't as endless as corporate capitalism thought it was.

Disney used to be able to rely on churn - as many people who they burnt out used to be replaced by just as many more eager "I want to go live at Disney!" folks who were willing to come down and do it. A large portion of their FOTL employees were semi-transient, "move to Orlando for 3 or 4 years and do the roommate thing" types. They just aren't choosing to come to Florida like they used to.

All that said, aside from pay (which I am actually heartened to see so many folks mention is the real overall issue) - one of the things about working for Disney used to be those benefits they gave. And I'm not talking about free french fries. The gate passes and major discounts alone were enough for some folks to work at least part time there. Even if they reverted to great benefits, though, the tide has shifted too much to make any real dent at this point.

Lilofan

1. they have a pulse
3. hired
That leader is a leader for a reason. He or she is not there to punch a time clock and just do what he or she is told. That manager is there to motivate, train, retrain , educate and build their teams to be successful. If casting is giving the leader the staffing then the leader is there to build their teams. Just like in the military you don't hire your platoon, your platoon is given to you and it is your job to lead them. The feedback of poor cast morale falls under the leaders that are leading them. The blame game towards casting that hires the new staff is just a bunch of excuses.

Last edited:

LSLS

That leader is a leader for a reason. He or she is not there to punch a time clock and just do what he or she is told. That manager is there to motivate, train, retrain , educate and build their teams to be successful. If casting is giving the leader the staffing then the leader is there to build their teams. Just like in the military you don't hire your platoon, your platoon is given to you and it is your job to lead them. The feedback of poor cast morale falls under the leaders that are leading them. The blame game towards casting that hires the new staff is just a bunch of excuses.
They aren't blaming casting, they are saying that nobody wants to be there now so they will take anyone.

Disone

1. they have a pulse
3. hired
Hummmm IDK. I don't think you're giving enough credit to how hard they actually are trying. I don't really know that there's any company out there that's having a hay day of morale right now.

Having said that, I assure you number two is not part of the recruitment process. You don't have to have a car to get to your work location. :)

LSLS

You become a leader to make a difference to build your teams. Resources such as?

So, morale at a low in no small part because they are understaffed, pay is on par with everywhere else, they have to drive further and park further away than other places, and the perks are becoming harder and harder to use. And you think the manager making $3 an hour more than those under him is not feeling similar things and somehow is able to fix those issues? Those are issues that high ups have to deal with, they aren't things a manager can do. The best he can do is try to make people feel appreciated and send things up the food chain. But if you think any amount of leading/cheerleading means those other issues are going to be forgotten, you are kidding yourself.

nickys

Premium Member
You become a leader to make a difference to build your teams. Resources such as?
If their team are barely making ends meet and don’t get any perks that make it seem worthwhile to keep working there, no leader can do much to boost morale.
Add in the shortage of CMs so that everyone in the team feels overworked.
Or do you think a daily team pep talk and group hug is sufficient?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom