Cash-Strapped Disney

Tom Morrow

In regards to the OP, I guess the silver lining is that a huge amount of the projects and expansions were already completed or underway before this all happened. Imagine if COVID had hit in 2015, after the resort had mostly stagnated for a decade. It would have stagnated even longer, and think of how many additions we wouldn't have.

jt04

In regards to the OP, I guess the silver lining is that a huge amount of the projects and expansions were already completed or underway before this all happened. Imagine if COVID had hit in 2015, after the resort had mostly stagnated for a decade. It would have stagnated even longer, and think of how many additions we wouldn't have.

Also, they didn't have Disney+ in 2015. Basically providing life support for the mouse right now.

Surferboy567

First off, wow that is a lot of info to take in.

As of now, the plan is to "quickly" change the DLR version, where it is more likely to be received positively, then use Epcot capex funds that would have gone to Mary Poppins and JII to change the superior WDW version starting in 2022 or 2023. However, hopes that Disney can plus the attraction are difficult to materialize with Imagineering already completely flummoxed how they can possibly reskin many dozens of animatronics in a crown jewel attraction.

Lots of info in this statement. First off when you say ”quickly” for the DL version what exactly do you mean? We talking a couple of months? A year?

Is the timeframe for the actual construction supposed to be far reaching or a “quick” turnaround? Like guardians.

The WDW timeframe aligns with other insiders as well

EDIT Side Note: Wow, JLL was going to get an upgrade. They have ignored that attraction for so long.

and often on new projects of a social nature (changes are coming to Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Pirates of the Carribean, Carousel of Progress, etc). .

I think this is the first time we have seen Pirates on this list what are they thinking about changing there?

What are they thinking about changing on most of these attractions?

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

First off, wow that is a lot of info to take in.

Lots of info in this statement. First off when you say ”quickly” for the DL version what exactly do you mean? We taking a couple of months? A year?

Is the timeframe for the actual construction supposed to be far reaching or a “quick” turnaround? Like guardians.

The WDW timeframe aligns with other insiders as well

EDIT Side Note: Wow, JLL was going to get an upgrade. They have ignored that attraction for so long.

I think this is the first time we have seen Pirates on this list what are they thinking about changing there?

What are they thinking about changing on most of these attractions?
Yup, it was set to get an upgrade in around 5 years I believe. I recall Martin saying something like this on the “Figment to be replaced by Figment” thread last year, although I’m sure things have taken a turn for the worse, as in no upgrade for more than 5 years, or flat out cancellation. I do wonder where the project is now, because it seemed to be on the back burner in the first place.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
7?. Is Chapek the fall guy? Many are speculating Iger plans to use him as the scapegoat.

It's getting more difficult to argue anything but Iger setting up Chapek to take blame for a fall while Iger would absorb the praise of a turnaround. Everything about Iger "stepping down" and then stepping into a chairman position reeks of gamesmanship. But, given how Disney stock has performed under Iger the company has apparently given him carte blanche to protect himself.

That said, it's an interesting Iger strategy to be the aggressor. It's arguably more difficult to frame Chapek as the scapegoat if Chapek on the side of saving money. It would take a twisted mind to look back at this experience and side with idea that Chapek is the reason for failure (hypothetically) and that more money should have been spent.

Ldno

Honestly all these news are just common sense, it’s great to be optimistic but at the end of the day Covid completely feels like it’s out to get the entertainment business in all it’s forms Including the unstoppable force that was Disney Studios and Disney Parks, last year you couldn’t tell me they would fall under but damn ever since this pandemic it’s hit after hit and project after project, Its easy to understand how corporations work they are all about saving money and making the most profits but still, it’s not hard to see that people at the top, CEO’s, politicians see more of what’s going than us peasants, tbh ever since Iger left the company at the beginning of the year when he did, disney stock has been on a slippery slope, it does seem like Chapek is the fall guy and i do feel like his are tied, but with the economy and people losing jobs, layoffs, it might be a while before they all recover. We will see, all of a sudden the 50th anniversary is just a huge turn off now since everything’s pushed back more to the right now.

Granted as a long time fan of WDW, i can honestly say DL is better 🤣🤣🤣

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Disneyland’s feels like a highly themed thrill ride, whereas WDW’s feels like a thrilling spin on a Fantasyland attraction.

It’s for this reason I actually think DL is an odder of the 2 choices to re-theme. Yes, it fits into the adjacent N.O. Square better than the MK’s lackluster Frontierland, but the DL version is also by far the “more intense” of the two attractions with a zippy pace and less time to absorb the show scenes.

I guess if WDI intends to cheap out on the ride aesthetics for budget reasons it’s a better version to go with, but DL’s single seating style and wilder/wetter adventure will make it a “surprise” choice for parents of young kids looking for a tamer princess adventure.

HairyChest

@WDW Pro thank you for the info. I'd like to get to the world before any additional cuts based on the things you are reporting take into effect. Would the timeframe of going to the world before say, next May, be a good idea before they start nickel and diming more? And I know they are like halfway demolished Epcot's future world areas, are they just going to leave it like that or are we still getting that Moana walkthrough and some decent looking walkways?

P.S I hope Universales Epic Universe doesnt get affected and forces Disney to spend instead of save

ohioguy

Shouldn't have put themselves in the hole buying Fox. That was a huge financial gamble. And most of the rides mentioned should have gotten rid of the controversial elements over time; many have been aware of the insensitivity to other cultures and ethnicities for some time -- Disney just chose the easiest path of doing nothing.

Nottamus

Let me preface this post by saying I know much more than I'm going to say in this thread. That's just the way it's going to have to be in order to protect sources, prevent doxing, and keep jobs safe. Additionally, it lets those sharing info with me know that if something needs to be off the record, it will stay if the record.

Again, thanks for any and all things that you know and post here.

I'd like to think that Disney is too big to fail and all will be back to normal in January, BUT I cant even believe that! We are DVC and travel from NJ twice a year to WDW...AKL. Things will be different for quite a few years, maybe construction walls that turn permanent, but hidden behind rows of shrubbery so we'll never 'see' them.

It will all work out. We will all be back at some point (soon I hope). There's a 7$ bottle of water with my name on it.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
So they’re never gonna get Tokyo onboard with Splash?

If it was likely, it would have happened before they made the announcement. It's hard to see now, but money talks.

Also @WDW Pro is it true that there is even been talks about cloning the New Splash Mountain to open in other parks, or is that just a never-Gonna happen thing?

I don't see how that's feasible in the current economic climate. Splash Mountain is a crown jewel attraction... not cheap.

The deeper issue, at least to me, is the ride is clearly an icon. ( Thank you Tony Baxter) Tony may be involved, but Disney doesn't have the cash or want to spend it at least to bring it to classic Splash Tony Baxter worthy level... That sounds to be horrifying this pack of imagineers...

Tony is only involved in a symbolic manner.

@WDW Pro thank you for the info. I'd like to get to the world before any additional cuts based on the things you are reporting take into effect. Would the timeframe of going to the world before say, next May, be a good idea before they start nickel and diming more? And I know they are like halfway demolished Epcot's future world areas, are they just going to leave it like that or are we still getting that Moana walkthrough and some decent looking walkways?

P.S I hope Universales Epic Universe doesnt get affected and forces Disney to spend instead of save

The last I heard, Moana is still on the table. Martin tends to have better contacts than I do on that project though, so you might ask him. I think he's paused asking contacts questions, but he might have heard.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

If it was likely, it would have happened before they made the announcement. It's hard to see now, but money talks.

I don't see how that's feasible in the current economic climate. Splash Mountain is a crown jewel attraction... not cheap.

The last I heard, Moana is still on the table. Martin tends to have better contacts than I do on that project though, so you might ask him. I think he's paused asking contacts questions, but he might have heard.

thanks for the info. Very interesting situation to say the least.

Mainahman

Thats whats concerning...the word symbolic... as in lets make the fanbois happy by saying tonys name....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom