Cash-Strapped Disney

Animaniac93-98

When Splash Mountain opened at Tokyo Disneyland, you could buy Song of the South on videotape and laserdisc in the country. The movie has never been as controversial in Japan as it has been in the USA.

Insisting that OLC change a popular ride because people in another country who don't visit the park might be offended by it was always a weak argument. Disney will need a better excuse, especially since Princess and the Frog was not a hit in Japan. Maybe another movie?

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

When Splash Mountain opened at Tokyo Disneyland, you could buy Song of the South on videotape and laserdisc in the country. The movie has never been as controversial in Japan as it has been in the USA.

Insisting that OLC change a popular ride because people in another country who don't visit the park might be offended by it was always a week argument. Disney will need a better excuse, especially since Princess and the Frog was not a hit in Japan. Maybe another movie?
Much less to an IP that Tokyo doesn’t really care about. I saw someone suggest that they do the retheme there because there’s hardly any PatF merchandise in TDL. Yeah, there’s a reason for that.

Mainahman

Much less to an IP that Tokyo doesn’t really care about. I saw someone suggest that they do the retheme there because there’s hardly any PatF merchandise in TDL. Yeah, there’s a reason for that.
The problem is the way people are right now, Disney could cancel this for the saved money, but how do they cover thier rears for the now national news they sent out.

Expo_Seeker40

@WDW Pro I’m concerned about the surveys being sent around involving the Enchanted Tiki Room, Country Bears, and the Carousel of Progress.

What is “wrong” with the Tiki room? Bears: I’m sure some still find ofFenSiVe.

Carousel of Progress: John’s sarcastic, crass comments to his wife?

I feel like they are looking to eliminate one of the three as a cost cutting measure (likely Tiki room) as there is a bigger fan base for CB and CoP.

I assume they’ll “tame the bears” and give CoP the woke treatment.

Brer Oswald

The problem is the way people are right now, Disney could cancel this for the saved money, but how do they cover thier rears for the now national news they sent out.
They’ve backed themselves into a corner. They created this absolute monster with Song of the South, and by acknowledging the petitions, Splash Mountain has become a “symbol of racism”. Anyone with common sense and an understanding of context knows this is blasphemy. But most people are followers, not leaders. We have to go with the narrative that Splash is “racist” or that SotS is worse than it is, lest we be labeled racist ourselves.

This has been plaguing me for weeks. I refuse to back down because I know what’s right. But I don’t have the power to influence.

The only way they could recover from this is by having a leader with the courage to challenge our perceptions. Not Iger. Not Chapek. Maybe D’Amaro?

We need more black stories, not less. And the new ones we add need time and attention. Not hacked jobs. But, as we all know, this is a decision fuelled by monetary gain, not social justice.

I long for the days when the Disney Company gets a leader who isn’t afraid to challenge the audience, like Walt did.

MarkTwain

Surprised they're still even considering reworking anything but Splash Mountain at this point. SM is the only retheme that got a press release, and has really been the source of all the national attention lately. Skipping or postponing the other stuff seems like a no-brainer, at least until cash flow is back to normal.

Mainahman

They’ve backed themselves into a corner. They created this absolute monster with Song of the South, and by acknowledging the petitions, Splash Mountain has become a “symbol of racism”. Anyone with common sense and an understanding of context knows this is blasphemy. But most people are followers, not leaders. We have to go with the narrative that Splash is “racist” or that SotS is worse than it is, lest we be labeled racist ourselves.

This has been plaguing me for weeks. I refuse to back down because I know what’s right. But I don’t have the power to influence.

The only way they could recover from this is by having a leader with the courage to challenge our perceptions. Not Iger. Not Chapek. Maybe D’Amaro?

We need more black stories, not less. And the new ones we add need time and attention. Not hacked jobs. But, as we all know, this is a decision fuelled by monetary gain, not social justice.

I long for the days when the Disney Company gets a leader who isn’t afraid to challenge the audience, like Walt did.
I have a feeling this all will be chapeks take down. Over will find a way to retire with dignity, taking chapek down with him.

Thelazer

Maybe both Bob's can be out of a job and replaced with someone with a REAL vision for the company.
Not just hack IP's into the parks.

BTW. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'll take no JII rehab over whatever abomination they were cooking up this time around.
Quite simply Disney couldn't ever dream up a ride like the orginal again. The talent / drive / willpower just isn't there.

Brer Oswald

Surprised they're still even considering reworking anything but Splash Mountain at this point. SM is the only retheme that got a press release, and has really been the source of all the national attention lately. Skipping or postponing the other stuff seems like a no-brainer, at least until cash flow is back to normal.
It’s still among their top 3 most popular attractions in Florida. The bogus media attention isn’t going to sway that. If anything, the popularity has only increased.

Homemade Imagineering

Maybe both Bob's can be out of a job and replaced with someone with a REAL vision for the company.
Not just hack IP's into the parks.

BTW. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'll take no JII rehab over whatever abomination they were cooking up this time around.
Quite simply Disney couldn't ever dream up a ride like the orginal again. The talent / drive / willpower just isn't there.
It makes me extremely sad to see JII in its current state for 20 some odd years now. I find it harder to watch video of the original attraction, because it makes me so sad to know and remember what once was.

Brer Oswald

WDW Splash is the best ride in the MK, and #3 in WDW (behind Rise and ToT) in my humble opinion.
It’s the best ride they’ve ever made as far as I’m concerned. Haven’t been on Rise yet, but from what I’ve seen, doesn’t look like it appeals to me even remotely on the same way that Splash does.

As always, appreciate yourinsights. Splash redo seemed knee jerk from day 1. Glad they can’t move forward at WDW with the dumpster fire of a reskin.
They can and they will.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It’s the best ride they’ve ever made as far as I’m concerned. Haven’t been on Rise yet, but from what I’ve seen, doesn’t look like it appeals to me even remotely on the same way that Splash d

They can and they will.
Not without the $. That is the only thing that appears to be holding them back, and I am smiling ear to ear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom