Cash-Strapped Disney

Notes from Neverland

It's almost like a pandemic has thrown a wrench into one of the biggest companies on the planet. Not really surprising. However, I don't buy that Iger's legacy - like the Fox deal - will be thrown against him when no one could have predicted current events would play out when that deal was made.

Mainahman

I know they have to stay open to survive. I think they also know they cant increase the numbers in the parks as quickly as they wanted either. Will be a fine dance. Hopefully things calm down so some film can be consumed and they can make some boxoffice money again.

Rich T

... DL’s single seating style and wilder/wetter adventure will make it a “surprise” choice for parents of young kids looking for a tamer princess adventure.
1) Height limit’s still gonna be there
2) It’s still going to be marketed as one of the park’s mountain thrill rides.
3) TPatF is full of good scary sequences and almost no “princess” elements at all—The only time Tiana actually dresses like a princess is at a brief costume ball scene. Anyone who’s seen the film will know there are no castles or “princessy” scenes in store. When folks think of TPatF, they think of swamps, scary Dr. Facilier and a talking alligator.
4) And that drop’s still front and center. I don’t think there’s any danger of parents mistaking it for Storybook Land 2.

techgeek

It's almost like a pandemic has thrown a wrench into one of the biggest companies on the planet. Not really surprising. However, I don't buy that Iger's legacy - like the Fox deal - will be thrown against him when no one could have predicted current events would play out when that deal was made.

I think it's fair to say something about the public perception of Iger's crisis leadership.

It may be have been in the works for months or years ahead of time, but the timing of his retirement and change in leadership was just a little too inopportune. Of all the CEO's on the planet, he was one of a company that has strong ties to China and where they saw very early 'boots on the ground' impacts from the closure of Hong Kong and Shanghai. One has to presume he had access to inside knowledge about the impacts that were about to ripple across the world. Instead of acting on that to strengthen Disney's position and response, or even better yet speak up publicly with concerns about how the soon-to-be pandemic was being handled on a national or international level, he takes the off-ramp.

Now we're left with reports of in-fighting at the highest levels of Disney leadership, while the company is actively on fire and burning around them. Disney as a company or its executive team still haven't flexed their muscle and acted as leaders in the industry or in Central Florida, except for saying "we promise we're being safe and magical!" If they had gotten in front of this early, they could have shaped both public and political opinion in favor of pubic health measures that could be helping the tourism economy today.

britain

Tony's involvement is only as a advisor, which has been his part-time role at WDI since he 'retired' in 2013.
He is a Creative Advisor and as such offers suggestions and contributes ideas when called upon.

For this proposed 're-theme' of 'Splash Mountain', his role is to do the same - suggest ideas and offer suggestions.
The trick is - will the team actually tasked with doing this job ACTUALLY listen to those ideas and suggestions?
Which is what i was touching on some time ago in other related threads about this project.

I'll say it again -
Just because his name is attached to this particular project does not mean he endorses the decision to 're-theme' it 100%.

-

I understand, but it's actually always surprising what ideas Tony is in favor of, when you hear him tell stories. He frequently takes the "Popular IP" stance in a debate, saying it frees up bigger budgets for better attractions.

Now, as to what he thinks about changes to his Splash Mountain baby, I have no idea.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

1) Height limit’s still gonna be there
2) It’s still going to be marketed as one of the park’s mountain thrill rides.
3) TPatF is full of good scary sequences and almost no “princess” elements at all—The only time Tiana actually dresses like a princess is at a brief costume ball scene. Anyone who’s seen the film will know there are no castles or “princessy” scenes in store. When folks think of TPatF, they think of swamps, scary Dr. Facilier and a talking alligator.
4) And that drop’s still front and center. I don’t think there’s any danger of parents mistaking it for Storybook Land 2.

1)No disagreement there
2) Is it, though? Rumors aside, the DPB announcement seems focused on the princess/Mardi Gras element.
3) This is assuming the concept is more closely tethered to the movie, but so far all we know (officially) is that this is “after the final kiss”. Of course they could/should easily bring back Dr. Facilier, but that is not yet confirmed. In the film Tiana is a frog, but one thing that seems very clear from the DPB announcement they want to have her in her human form here on.
4) Agree there also once in the park, albeit it’ll depend on the marketing of the attraction outside the park too. Still your casual/irregular visitor may not make the immediate connection between this ride and SM.

I question the rushed timing of this announcement when the ride is conceivably popular enough to slog on for a time.

Iger has had 15 years to touch this ride up to a new IP since he became CEO and 11 years post P&TF to bring in a tie in to that IP and now we’re talking about changing it in one of the most budget conscious times imaginable.

I don’t mind evicting the Brer critters but when replacing/refreshing e-tickets I’d prefer WDI at least make sure they have the tangible revenue on hand to make sure you can finance a worthy replacement for which they can be proud.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
1)No disagreement there
2) Is it, though? Rumors aside, the DPB announcement seems focused on the princess/Mardi Gras element.
3) This is assuming the concept is more closely tethered to the movie, but so far all we know (officially) is that this is “after the final kiss”. Of course they could/should easily bring back Dr. Facilier, but that is not yet confirmed. In the film Tiana is a frog, but one thing that seems very clear from the DPB announcement they want to have her in her human form here on.
4) Agree there also once in the park, albeit it’ll depend on the marketing of the attraction outside the park too. Still your casual/irregular visitor may not make the immediate connection between this ride and SM.

I question the rushed timing of this announcement when the ride is conceivably popular enough to slog on for a time.

Iger has had 15 years to touch this ride up to a new IP since he became CEO and 11 years post P&TF to bring in a tie in to that IP and now we’re talking about changing it in one of the most budget conscious times imaginable.

I don’t mind evicting the Brer critters but when replacing/refreshing e-tickets I’d prefer WDI at least make sure they have the tangible revenue on hand to make sure you can finance a worthy replacement for which they can be proud.
What exactly needed to / needs to be touched up? It clearly wasn't an issue since 1989, and 1992 in WDW until now.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I feel like they are looking to eliminate one of the three as a cost cutting measure (likely Tiki room) as there is a bigger fan base for CB and CoP.
I'd be willing to bet COP would be the cut attraction, because it's most likely the most expensive to run out of the three. Heck, Tiki Room was prominently featured on their reopening video. If anything, I'd be willing to bet Tiki gets a Moana AA in the center of the theater sometime in the future... Someday

Dunston

I think this is all wishful thinking that the splash mountain changes will be walked back or whatever. It's gonna happen, the ride will be less good than it was before, and there's nothing you can do about it

WondersOfLife

Maybe both Bob's can be out of a job and replaced with someone with a REAL vision for the company.
Not just hack IP's into the parks.
I seriously doubt there will be anyone else out there in the world that is willing to take over Disney as CEO and not use as many IPs as possible. Not anymore.

Mainahman

I understand, but it's actually always surprising what ideas Tony is in favor of, when you hear him tell stories. He frequently takes the "Popular IP" stance in a debate, saying it frees up bigger budgets for better attractions.

Now, as to what he thinks about changes to his Splash Mountain baby, I have no idea.
You should see what he thinks of what they did to JII ;)

TrainsOfDisney

I'd be willing to bet COP would be the cut attraction, because it's most likely the most expensive to run out of the three. Heck, Tiki Room was prominently featured on their reopening video. If anything, I'd be willing to bet Tiki gets a Moana AA in the center of the theater sometime in the future... Someday

I agree. I feel like tiki room is the safest - it has developed a loyal following on both coasts and could easily be rethemed again if needed.

WondersOfLife

I agree. I feel like tiki room is the safest - it has developed a loyal following on both coasts and could easily be rethemed again if needed.
I believe all three attractions have a hardcore loyal following. But I also believe that attraction loyalty will not be the reason any of them are saved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom