Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are not an old fogey, you just have good taste and common sense about what is appropriate regarding public decorum.

Those pictures of the screaming half-naked children slipping around the Sprinkler Train look horrifying to me. People pay good money to drag the family to Florida so the kids can play in a sprinkler? o_O

Would it have killed TDO to install a real working Casey Jr. Circus Train in New Fantasyland?

Just a fun little train that traveled around canals and themed outdoor dioramas and tunnels and had a big hill to chug up while onboard audio played "I think I can! I think I can!" Oh, I don't know, something like this perhaps...

florida_and_pomona_07_317__small__648.jpg

Instead they turn the Casey Jr. story into a tacky Sprinkler Train for 21st century kids whose Helicopter Moms aren't very good at Helicoptering. Color me unimpressed.

Horrifying? That seems a little harsh. There is a train station with an actual train right next to this. This was never intended to be a major attraction. Just a little diversion for the kids. My kids enjoyed it and most of the people around us seemed to be having a good time. There were a few kids climbing on the fence but the vast majority were just behaving, smiling and having a good time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This was never intended to be a major attraction. Just a little diversion for the kids

That was kind of his point... why aim so low to start with. Plus the hit/miss on the water play areas really makes you wonder if Disney is bipolar, or if someone loves these things while the rest of the company hates them - but they can't come to terms so they keep building them without the left hand agreeing with the right.

alissafalco

Anyone with half a brain knew this was going to happen:

Casey_01.jpg
Mom helps her daughter squeeze through the fence.
Casey_02.jpg
Big guy caught in the act.
Casey_03.jpg
Three in the cab plus one in the tender.
I noticed a group of four or five Disney managers/engineers closely watching Casey Jr. today and I couldn't help but engage them in a conversation about "the fence."

They told me that they're in the process of "reassessing" Casey Jr.

One was quick to agree with me that the fence was a stupid idea. "I told them it wasn't going to work," he said.

I pointed out that because the kids are climbing over the fence, it's actually far more dangerous than having nothing there at all. They said they're worried about getting complaints from guests about Casey Jr. not being ADA compliant if they remove the fence — that handicapped children will also want to climb aboard the train.

I gave them my solution: 1) Remove the fence; 2) Remove the steps leading up to the cab; 3) Close off access to the cab with either metal or clear plexiglas door panels. Two of them said, "Sounds good. Let's do it." Another one added, "If you come back in a couple of weeks and see that we've done exactly that, you can tell everyone it was your idea."

It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with Casey Jr. At the moment, the fence is an accident waiting to happen.

well that didnt take long.....great idea, they should do exactly what you said. Where's the CM who is supposed to be monitoring this??? Also, this belongs in one of the water parks, not Magic Kingdom....I will not let my daughter get soaked in this and then have to be wet or change clothes..a big NO for me!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That was kind of his point... why aim so low to start with. Plus the hit/miss on the water play areas really makes you wonder if Disney is bipolar, or if someone loves these things while the rest of the company hates them - but they can't come to terms so they keep building them without the left hand agreeing with the right.

I thought it was pretty cool but that is just my opinion which seems to be in the minority here. Describing kids running around enjoying themselves under sprinklers as horrifying still seems harsh to me, but again just my opinion.

danv3

You are not an old fogey, you just have good taste and common sense about what is appropriate regarding public decorum.

Those pictures of the screaming half-naked children slipping around the Sprinkler Train look horrifying to me. People pay good money to drag the family to Florida so the kids can play in a sprinkler? o_O

Would it have killed TDO to install a real working Casey Jr. Circus Train in New Fantasyland?

Just a fun little train that traveled around canals and themed outdoor dioramas and tunnels and had a big hill to chug up while onboard audio played "I think I can! I think I can!" Oh, I don't know, something like this perhaps...

Instead they turn the Casey Jr. story into a tacky Sprinkler Train for 21st century kids whose Helicopter Moms aren't very good at Helicoptering. Color me unimpressed.

Agree 100%

The Empress Lilly

casey-jr-le-petit-train-du-cirque.jpg

casey-junior-petit-train-du-cirque_1.jpg

Casey jr. train in Paris. Beautiful landscaping, lovely ride. They even have the same Belle's castle that the MK's BatB restaurant is getting.

And no soaked kids! No children running around in their underwear! No trailer park 'get 'em wet' playground area.

BigThunderMatt

Looks like people bring along swimsuits everywhere these days. This, people, is what we call a white trash water park. The only thing more white trash than this are the fountains that kids put swimsuits on and run around it at Downtown Disney.

lazyboy97o

Horrifying? That seems a little harsh. There is a train station with an actual train right next to this. This was never intended to be a major attraction. Just a little diversion for the kids. My kids enjoyed it and most of the people around us seemed to be having a good time. There were a few kids climbing on the fence but the vast majority were just behaving, smiling and having a good time.
How are Casey Jr. Circus Train and Storybook Land Canal Boats major attractions?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
They are not.....but I would take a canal boat over a meet and greet any day of the week........Oh wait, what am I saying.....WDW is great, pass the pixie dust please.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How are Casey Jr. Circus Train and Storybook Land Canal Boats major attractions?

OK. Wow. I guess I stand corrected. Sorry I used the wrong word. I know nothing about the rides you are talking about, but the pictures looked a lot more sophisticated than some statues that spray water. The area is pretty small so any sort of ride would need to be located somewhere else. i am all for adding more rides but I stand by my opinion that the splash area was pretty cool. Kids had some fun and cooled off. Pass me the pixie dust.

threeyoda

Ok, when any of you were younger, you can tell me you wouldn't have loved to play in this? I know I would've loved to. And remember what used to be in Toontown Fair - Donald's Boat. This acts as a sort of "replacement" for that, I guess. It's a nice little diversion for kids, that's it.

lazyboy97o

Ok, when any of you were younger, you can tell me you wouldn't have loved to play in this? I know I would've loved to. And remember what used to be in Toontown Fair - Donald's Boat. This acts as a sort of "replacement" for that, I guess. It's a nice little diversion for kids, that's it.
Pleasing little kids is easy. Very easy. With so much to offer, if this is a highlight then I do not see why the poor kid is being dragged along.

Mike K

Visually, I find the Casey Jr. Station to be very charming. Nice bright colors and a lot of fun activity coming from it. Kids are clearly eating this up as they should, it looks like a blast especially on hotter days. I can understand people's complaints of not wanting it to turn into a mini water park where kids are all running around in there bathing suits but if parents can manage to have there kids in everyday clothes or waterproof shorts, I see no real issue. Although, I understand the reason for the fence but the danger of having kids hop it is too high. The fence should definitely be higher and a little more spread out from the train itself so kids can have a little more walking space and not have to worry about the danger of bashing there heads into the gate. Finally, the color of the fence could be enhanced to a nice red or gold to just keep the vibrant colors of the Station consistent.

asianway

I'm my backyard, I could play in the sprinkler. One of my friends had a pool. I always preferred the pool, to the point of being bored with the sprinkler. I would have no interest in this knowing I had a pool at the resort and two water parks. But that's just me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom