Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

asianway

I don't get this!?! By that definition all the play areas would have issues. There's lots of play structures that can't accommodate all guests! IMO, Casey Jr. would be one of the most accesible play areas (except of course for the train part).

This is new construction, which based on FLE changes was designed and certainly built after the laws were enacted. I'm sure Disney has enlisted consultants to look at existing infrastructure and for all we know action plans are in some stage of completion. As new construction, they will have no excuse so are understandably concerned.

Lest anyone thinks I agree with the changes, I think they go a bit too far. As they are federal compliance standards, they need to be considered regardless of whether we agree.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't get this!?! By that definition all the play areas would have issues. There's lots of play structures that can't accommodate all guests! IMO, Casey Jr. would be one of the most accesible play areas (except of course for the train part).

New standards.. and this is new construction after those standards were put into place.

Like most ADA standards, there are clauses that basically say old stuff doesn't have to be retrofitted unless it's being modified.. and then it must be compliant. The 'grandfathering' conditions have also gotten ridiculous too.

Beetlebaileybug

Hi so I'm relatively new to this wdw forum, but I just wanted to add, that I was there last thursday night (the day after it opened) and there was emt's and a whole bunch of managers surrounding the side bricks because a little girl already got hurt! I couldn't really see her except I could tell it was a little girl in a pink bathing suit and they were doing something around her chin. I even asked one of the managers and he said they had a minor accident but she seemed ok.

Patrick_Ears

I really like the concept of this and Walt Disney would have a smile from ear to ear seeing kids having fun.. along with some adults.. lol

Now as for the railing along the front part... it seems not be crossed over or go through the railings. But you will have someone say i don't see a sign saying where you can't.

True you don't see a sign, but the gate should tell you in your mind please don't cross over.. That's why they are up there.

Other than that i really like this, especially on hot days and kids are crying and cranky because it's hot.

tim911

I was there yesterday and spent almost 30 minutes with my wife on the wall surrounding the train watching all the genuinely happy guests. The circus train goes through an approximate 10-15 minute cycle where the water and sounds get more and more intense. It appears that the story is the animals are getting excited to depart and get progressively more wild as Casey starts his engine "chugging". It's actually very well done. It starts off by only a few of the animals making noises and squirting water and continues to build until Casey joins in sending "steam" out his stack and "chugging" along. It all culminates when Casey is "chugging" at full steam and blows a large plume of water out his stack. Everything is quiet again and the cycle repeats. If the area is maintained as it is currently running, I absolutely consider it an "attraction". However, I did see the issues mentioned above and see how this could quickly be altered to address potential safety concerns, in effect, killing the highly detailed "attraction" status. Lower volumes of water, larger fence, non-slip surface, etc... Hopefully all the concerns mentioned above have been thought through prior to opening and what you see is what you get, no changes.....

DisDadEddie

Closing the cab off with plexiglass is the best idea! Also it is the parents responsibility to control their kids.If my daughter climbed the fence she wouldn't be playing there any longer.

tl77

I'm not sure which is worse, parents letting their children climb over the fence, or Disney thinking that parents wouldn't let their children climb over the fence

actually the solution to this is pretty simple, lose the fence and the steps, and pretend Casey Jr. is the Wonders of Life pavilion, just close the doors and never let anyone in again ...problem? ...solved!

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is why I said "either metal or clear plexiglas door panels." The benefit of the plexiglas is that it would allow Casey Jr. to keep its open cab look and for its interior design elements to remain visible

True - if you made the plexi almost invisible to the casual eye. But reality is glass and plexi become highly visible when you are spraying/splashing water on them all the time. The standing water on the surface makes the surface become distracting. So instead of seeing beyond the surface.. the surface itself becomes the focal point. It starts to 'jump out' when looking at the larger design.

See the edges, and it's even worse. So they'd have to redesign it to be recessed or in a track.. like windows. At that point you might as well seal the thing up with non-transparent surfaces.. like the other train cars there.

Amused to Death

Original Poster
Am I the only one a little creeped out that someone is taking random photos of other peoples children? :confused:

Give me a break. I took the photos to illustrate the ineffectiveness of the fence — nothing more — and it would be kind of hard to do so without including the children. :rolleyes:

I've seen mention in this thread and others of YouTube videos of the Casey Jr. play area; I'm sure a pedophile would rather look at one of those.

WDWMagic: VIDEO - A look at Casey Jr Splash 'N' Soak Station

Amused to Death

Original Poster
I get the impression it was designed to be played on and then someone realized that they would get complaints about compliance and slapped the fence on as a half-a$$ed measure to prevent complaints from those who couldn't play on it.

The managers/engineers whom I spoke with did say that Casey Jr. was designed to be played on. The fence has to be the result of problems with ADA accessibility and/or perceived safety issues.

MissMorrow

I really like the concept of this and Walt Disney would have a smile from ear to ear seeing kids having fun.. along with some adults.. lol

Now as for the railing along the front part... it seems not be crossed over or go through the railings. But you will have someone say i don't see a sign saying where you can't.

True you don't see a sign, but the gate should tell you in your mind please don't cross over.. That's why they are up there.

Other than that i really like this, especially on hot days and kids are crying and cranky because it's hot.

That's only true if you assume everyone is a rational, thinking human being.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My kids enjoyed their time playing in the water this past Sunday. The fence doesn't really bother me, but they did have some cast members standing there basically correcting the kids non-stop who kept trying to reach over to touch the engine. I didn't see anyone actually climb over. We let the kids run through right before we left the park to go back to the hotel. By the time we got back they were dry but it was hot out I could see a problem having wet kids on rides in colder months but maybe they will turn off some of the water or all of it if it gets too cold. It was pretty crowded on Sunday with lots of kids and a few adults running around but it didn't seem overly unsafe or slippery at all. The engine is really the only element that could be climbed into. I am not sure why they designed it that way, but it would be hard to change now unless they go with plexiglass or something more temporary. They could also just take down the fence and put up signs saying no climbing on engine and then assign a cast member to stand there and enforce it. Could be punishment for cast members who are late for work or didn't shave or something.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I might get flammed for this...but sometimes I think that ADA goes too far. Just like some attractions can't be experienced by everyone because of height requirements, or because some people are prone to motion sickness, or have heart conditions, or whatever the reason, does EVERYTHING have to be accessable to disabled visitors? I know that the definition of disabled is large and varied, but I still think it's over the top.

flame away.

No flames from me. I agree 100%.

TP2000

I must be becoming such an old fogey. This just looks torturous to me, shirtless, soaking wet, screaming kids, not at a water park. My family will be avoiding this at all costs.

You are not an old fogey, you just have good taste and common sense about what is appropriate regarding public decorum.

Those pictures of the screaming half-naked children slipping around the Sprinkler Train look horrifying to me. People pay good money to drag the family to Florida so the kids can play in a sprinkler? o_O

Would it have killed TDO to install a real working Casey Jr. Circus Train in New Fantasyland?

Just a fun little train that traveled around canals and themed outdoor dioramas and tunnels and had a big hill to chug up while onboard audio played "I think I can! I think I can!" Oh, I don't know, something like this perhaps...

florida_and_pomona_07_317__small__648.jpg

Instead they turn the Casey Jr. story into a tacky Sprinkler Train for 21st century kids whose Helicopter Moms aren't very good at Helicoptering. Color me unimpressed.

djkidkaz

You are not an old fogey, you just have good taste and common sense about what is appropriate regarding public decorum.

Those pictures of the screaming half-naked children slipping around the Sprinkler Train look horrifying to me. People pay good money to drag the family to Florida so the kids can play in a sprinkler? o_O

Would it have killed TDO to install a real working Casey Jr. Circus Train in New Fantasyland?

Just a fun little train that traveled around canals and themed outdoor dioramas and tunnels and had a big hill to chug up while onboard audio played "I think I can! I think I can!" Oh, I don't know, something like this perhaps...

florida_and_pomona_07_317__small__648.jpg

Instead they turn the Casey Jr. story into a tacky Sprinkler Train for 21st century kids whose Helicopter Moms aren't very good at Helicoptering. Color me unimpressed.

Yes, this, this, this!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom