News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

celluloid

You yourself said that Cars Land at DCA was gorgeous, even after you admitted it didn't really have much to do with California.

So again: if you are willing to accept that something doesn't fit the theme, but still can be beautifully done, why not a new Frontierland?

I never said the land in itself is not well designed. Or that it would not be. But these are THEME parks. The themes and motifs are relevant.

If the placement is wrong, I would not say it is beautifully done. There are layers there.

My hangry kids would love a modern McDonalds on MainStreet USA.
Anyone older than 3 and not hangry can see why that is not a solid idea.

Incomudro

Star Wars land is gorgeous as well though.

Disney absolutely has the talent and resources to still make beautiful lands.
They do.
But let's not forget that impressive as Galaxies Edge is, they gave us very little of what they promised.
And, remember those towering lighted buildings in the concept art?
As impressive to me that GE still is, those are nowhere to be found.

el_super

No the river was there when I went to the park last Friday. You can't compare some modifications to not being there at all. Cmon man lol. Stop with the silliness

No actually, this is exactly the point. You are completely willing to accept what is there now. People claimed every one of those earlier changes were a sign that Disneyland was done for, and yet, time marches on and people learn to accept and appreciate the new.

They will here too.

mickEblu

I never said the land in itself is not well designed.

If the placement is wrong, I would not say it is beautifully done. There are layers there.

My kids would love a modern McDonalds on MainStreet USA.
Anyone older than 3 and not hangry can see why that is not a solid idea.

I like that the onions on the cheeseburger are grilled now though.

celluloid

I like that the onions on the cheeseburger are grilled now though.

You can thank that amazing breakfast bagel sandwich for that.

And Disney has done things like that at there restaurants, shockingly, without sacrificing the theme.

But according to some, the theme must be sacrificed for good design of the attraction.

celluloid

No actually, this is exactly the point. You are completely willing to accept what is there now. People claimed every one of those earlier changes were a sign that Disneyland was done for, and yet, time marches on and people learn to accept and appreciate the new.

They will here too.

Wait, they learn to accept and appreciate, but you claim people are not programmed through expectation.

You argue with yourself more than anyone else I have ever read.

Disney's attendance and guest spending issues I think have shown your claim is pretty far off and not a definite.

Now they are giving people what they think they want, rather than what design and forethought does.

mickEblu

They will here too.

Because what is there now still accomplishes most of what the original ROA did in terms of Place making . The river is still there. The attractions aren’t facing a berm of trees circling a Cars ride.

So you re saying people won’t be complaining about this 30 years from now? You’re right. They ll be dead.

celluloid

The general public is stupid.
Remember when Homer designed a car in The Simpsons?

So many of the general public would also be fine if the design is good, so you can please both parties. So I am glad you stated this, as harsh it as it sounds, both quality can be done.

Saying people will just accept it means that they have a good enough mentality.

So many people would be fine with Haunted Mansion being actually a gorey modern walk through and a giant steel roller-coaster going around MainStreet and a chance to still meet Mickey and princesses somewhere.

It does not make it a good design choice for the standard.

el_super

You argue with yourself more than anyone else I have ever read.

Sorry I'm trying to get you to acknowledge the holes in your arguments. Cars Land is great, because somehow you can separate it from the IP, and the placement and theme in the park, but this decision is terrible because you can't separate out that Cars don't belong in MK and somehow already know it won't be gorgeous.

They will will be fine.

Grantwil93

as long as there are little kids, Car will be relevant. that is not going to change. and everyone who visits RS in DCA says they love it. i'm guessing many will like this too
Little boys love 1 of 2 things more than anything. Spiderman and Lightning McQueen

It's their Frozen/Moana. And that's been since I was a kid obsessed with Spiderman over 20 years ago 😅

celluloid

Sorry I'm trying to get you to acknowledge the holes in your arguments. Cars Land is great, because somehow you can separate it from the IP, and the placement and theme in the park, but this decision is terrible because you can't separate out that Cars don't belong in MK and somehow already know it won't be gorgeous.

They will will be fine.

You just argued against yourself. Go back to your argument. Facts point out gaping holes in yours.

Cars Land is a great design, and some of that shines through despite of what negatively occured to it.

It would have likely have been better if Kevin's design of what it was supposed to be shown through. Synergy forced it to be slightly less. And it was 2006 in the planning.

DCA was a mess of a park,(arguably still is becuase current leadership is meh) and Carsland enhanced what was the worst Disney theme park experience in the states and arguably ever built. It replaced nothing that was of value or famous design of a theme park.

You don't see how this is very different than that?

STITCHGEFAN

To all of the people that are completely OK with this change, I will say this: sooner or later, Disney is going to rip out the attraction/land/area that you think is sacred, that you love, that you think is integral to the parks. Only then will you understand how we feel about this change. Until then, continue your passive-aggressive mocking, virtue-signaling and WDI bootlicking if it makes you feel better.
You're absolutely correct that it will happen at some point. What are classics and integral to me will be seen as disposable to younger generations in years to come. Just like TSI and ROA are seen as disposable to enough people now for WDW to get rid of them.

It seems though, as is the case with the modern world, you either have to hate the decision and belittle anyone who looks at it differently, or approve of the changes and mock anyone upset about it.

Dizknee_Phreek

It's more the content of MK's Rivers that is the worst version of RoA. Disneyland's has more to see on the back half that can only be viewed from the boats (a lot of MK's are hidden by overgrown trees), there are lots of different transportation options on the river and at night it transforms into a nighttime show.
Those are valid points. I went to DL during the week so Fantasmic wasn't going at night, I think they weren't doing the canoes, and unfortunately the Columbia was docked while we were there. So for me it was literally no different than WDW's current version.
That being said, all those points are WDW's fault. At one point we had more use for the RoA with the Mike Fink Keelboats. Of course those have been long gone and I don't know if I ever heard a reason for their removal. And these days it would be more difficult to make use of their former loading dock because of the crazy HM lines (back in the day that wasn't an issue). But the point is, I feel like they COULD have made more use of the river.
As for a nighttime show, obviously DL used theirs for Fantasmic due to size constraints. But WDW could've done something...even if maybe temporarily dock the LB and do a mini nighttime character cavalcade/water parade type thing. Obviously these are all "coulda, shoulda, woulda" thoughts and we'll never know. I'm just saying there were possibilities to make the river more kinetic and relevant, but for whatever reason they chose not to. But I still don't think that makes our FL "bad" or worse than others.

Quietmouse

For those who don't have Twitter/X and can't read it, here is the full explanation:

"It’s hard to see from the art, but there are new ponds, streams, and waterfalls that are being created, so it’s not a total loss of water. There will actually be more kinetic energy with this than there currently is in the area. But as for why…

Remember that the Rivers of America at WDW are connected by a lock to the Seven Seas Lagoon. Major challenges exist to this river system and drainage in the area that need to be accounted for. The foundation of the river isn’t in great shape, nor is it filtered water. The nature of this river surrounding the island system also prevents construction on the islands. To retain any of this river as is would be impossible, as the connection would need to remain near Thunder Mountain to the lock.

One of the key drivers of this re-do was requested by the park management itself… to eliminate dead ends. That can’t be accomplished while retaining the navigable river system. So you have an aging river basin in dire need of resurfacing, logistical nightmares to improve the islands, and dead end pathways on two sides. Plus access must be created to get to the other side of the river systems for any expansion.

I can tell you that countless rides were taken on the riverboat by key people involved in this decision and it was not taken lightly. They know they have to blow everyone out of the water with what gets built on the site. (Pun intended) It still makes sense.

Cars being the IP was selected for WDI by others. Cars makes ridiculous financial and demographic sense. It sells merchandise like no other franchise, it will eventually allow for the removal of the Tomorrowland Speedway on the other side of the park to free up more valuable real estate in the park, it appeals to the Floridian demographic, and it appeals to families (not single millennials, if they were going for that demographic they would have themed the entire area to A Goofy Movie). Cars also is a friendly story that will provide the friendly alternative to the scary Villains land beyond.

How to fit Cars into the region is actually very real, as JL did concepts for the original films going through places like Yellowstone, but were never realized (though the adjacent franchise, Planes Fire & Rescue does take place in a Yellowstone-like national park). There is a lot more to this concept and I think you’ll see some more Cars related IP coming around the bend that will even cement how it makes logical sense being there. This concept is adjacent to National Parks (not inside one) and it is very pretty. I do have doubts about the reliability of it being outdoors in Florida, but that’s besides the point here.

The aesthetics of the land are based on the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area in DCA. (Piston Peak instead of Grizzly Peak) Obviously there are some aesthetic differences and it’s a Cars ride instead of a rapids ride, but that’s a product of the MK having Tiana’s so close and the IP requirement set above.

In the end, there was no way to save the existing river system. The new lands have major elevation changes that can’t be accomplished without altering the river, and the reality is that they have an obligation to push for more capacity in the park, even if it means at the cost of something so big. It will be tough to see for the next 5-10 years, but I’ve been assured it will all be worth it, and the new water features will be much cleaner and feel a lot more fun.

I hope that explains a lot of the decision making that went into this. Happy to answer a few other questions if you still have them."

This will be grizzly peak surrounding frontier land and creating a natural gateway to villains land thru the use of the forest. It honestly could work extremely well if the budget allows the imagineers to do what they ultimately envision.

TrainsOfDisney

LOL if they could program people, why not just program them to like what is already there and save the money?
There does seem to be an Ego thing with Bob - many decisions don’t make sense money wise. Not just in the parks - studios as well.

If the parks were being run independently - things would be enhanced and refreshed. Sometimes that would mean adding IP, sometimes not.
Pandora was over a decade ago by the time this thing opens and took much longer with more resources.
Yes, and also one of the best imagineers ever led that project and there was lots of pressure from James Cameron to do it right.

KDM31091

For those who don't have Twitter/X and can't read it, here is the full explanation:

"It’s hard to see from the art, but there are new ponds, streams, and waterfalls that are being created, so it’s not a total loss of water. There will actually be more kinetic energy with this than there currently is in the area. But as for why…

Remember that the Rivers of America at WDW are connected by a lock to the Seven Seas Lagoon. Major challenges exist to this river system and drainage in the area that need to be accounted for. The foundation of the river isn’t in great shape, nor is it filtered water. The nature of this river surrounding the island system also prevents construction on the islands. To retain any of this river as is would be impossible, as the connection would need to remain near Thunder Mountain to the lock.

One of the key drivers of this re-do was requested by the park management itself… to eliminate dead ends. That can’t be accomplished while retaining the navigable river system. So you have an aging river basin in dire need of resurfacing, logistical nightmares to improve the islands, and dead end pathways on two sides. Plus access must be created to get to the other side of the river systems for any expansion.

I can tell you that countless rides were taken on the riverboat by key people involved in this decision and it was not taken lightly. They know they have to blow everyone out of the water with what gets built on the site. (Pun intended) It still makes sense.

Cars being the IP was selected for WDI by others. Cars makes ridiculous financial and demographic sense. It sells merchandise like no other franchise, it will eventually allow for the removal of the Tomorrowland Speedway on the other side of the park to free up more valuable real estate in the park, it appeals to the Floridian demographic, and it appeals to families (not single millennials, if they were going for that demographic they would have themed the entire area to A Goofy Movie). Cars also is a friendly story that will provide the friendly alternative to the scary Villains land beyond.

How to fit Cars into the region is actually very real, as JL did concepts for the original films going through places like Yellowstone, but were never realized (though the adjacent franchise, Planes Fire & Rescue does take place in a Yellowstone-like national park). There is a lot more to this concept and I think you’ll see some more Cars related IP coming around the bend that will even cement how it makes logical sense being there. This concept is adjacent to National Parks (not inside one) and it is very pretty. I do have doubts about the reliability of it being outdoors in Florida, but that’s besides the point here.

The aesthetics of the land are based on the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area in DCA. (Piston Peak instead of Grizzly Peak) Obviously there are some aesthetic differences and it’s a Cars ride instead of a rapids ride, but that’s a product of the MK having Tiana’s so close and the IP requirement set above.

In the end, there was no way to save the existing river system. The new lands have major elevation changes that can’t be accomplished without altering the river, and the reality is that they have an obligation to push for more capacity in the park, even if it means at the cost of something so big. It will be tough to see for the next 5-10 years, but I’ve been assured it will all be worth it, and the new water features will be much cleaner and feel a lot more fun.

I hope that explains a lot of the decision making that went into this. Happy to answer a few other questions if you still have them."
This to me is less of an explanation and more just a bunch of lame corporate spin excuses. The reality is they could fix it if they wanted to. They just don’t care enough to, or don’t think it’s popular enough, or whatever.

I’d almost prefer they just came out and said “we don’t care who loves the River, it’s coming out to make room for Cars” then to spin this corporate speak.

I’d also bet money that we won’t get anywhere near as lush or scenic or water filled of an environment as they’re promising. See almost every recent concept art compared to what was delivered.

psherman42

Echo Lake was already on the chopping block once, meant to be part of Galaxy’s Edge until someone promoted the idea of a brand new expansion.

And thus while Echo Lake was spared, we got the weirdness of having Star Tours left out by its lonesome, not invited to the GE party.
The idea of Echo Lake makes me so sad, but if they’re willing to bulldoze ROA, it shouldn’t surprise me. 😭
Thats why they aren't in the art.
Yep. Not being in the artwork means people can’t get mad when the water isn’t there.
I keep seeing some comments about how there may be a change of mind, and it wont go forward on TSI and RoA. Just to reiterate, this project is full steam ahead, and nobody is reconsidering.
But why?! Why are they not reconsidering? 😭 It just seems completely insane that of all the announcements at d23 this is the one their dead set on bringing to fruition.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that it’s ugly.

It’s clearly beautiful.

I think a more fair question would be, say it’s the year 2150 and all of the land available for magic kingdom is officially gone and built upon - would you still keep River of Americas or would you build on that land with one more land/attractions?
Build a new park?
There will still be water and beautiful sightlines

Cars will not be zooming by the Haunted Mansion
You can’t guarantee that. There is no water in the concept art. And even if there is, again, a waterfall is not even close to the same thing as a river.
I feel like I’m seeing far more negative feedback toward MuppetVision’s apparent removal than I am for anything here.
Which is absolutely wild to me. I love muppets but at this point, I don’t care if it goes. The loss will not be felt nearly as hard as the loss of roa.
It would depend on how it's framed IMO. Casual fans are probably not thinking of the implication of what it means or what the land might feel like without the ROA/TSI.
Exactly. Most people probably just looked at the concept art, saw a cool land and got excited. They’re not thinking about what it’s taking the place of.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
A couple of things in the Bill Zanetti screed that has been posted sure does raise eyebrows:

They know they have to blow everyone out of the water with what gets built on the site. (Pun intended)

There's an attraction right around the corner about which the same was said. How has that worked out?

I do have doubts about the reliability of it being outdoors in Florida, but that’s besides the point here.

Again, a reskinned attraction right around the corner would like a word or two about reliability.

We are going to lose RoA and TSI for an attraction by today's WDI that gave us TBA. Blech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom