News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If they do not stop after the horrible feedback, fire lots of people involved with the terrible decision, and move the Cars ride to behind Thunder where there is a TON of space - then Disney deserves to have empty parks.
I think outside of the serious fans, the majority of casual park guests think Cars moving into RoA and TSI is a very good thing.

peter11435

If they do not stop after the horrible feedback, fire lots of people involved with the terrible decision, and move the Cars ride to behind Thunder where there is a TON of space - then Disney deserves to have empty parks.
Outside of the echo chamber most of us live in, the feedback for this is not horrible. In fact it’s quite positive.

mickEblu

They KNOW it has to blow people out of the water! Just like they knew Tiana’s had to blow people out of the water! Look at how great that turned out! Why can’t we trust these poor execs making these hard decisions!

They think we’re idiots.

Makes it all the more perplexing. To green light this on the heels of the TBA saga. We or maybe I have to stop giving them so much credit.

Dizknee_Phreek

Magic Kingdom version kinda does. Probably the worst one in the world. It’s such a nothing burger in comparison to the other ones. That’s why I think those of is who’re excited for it getting changed are excited even if we disagree with the chosen IP. It’s kind of unfortunate that the busiest park in the world has got the worst version of a cool land, and that’s gotta change.
I keep seeing comments about how MK has the worst FL, but I honestly don't get it. What makes other FLs more special than MK's? I've been to DL and their FL seemed small and didn't have much more (if anything more) to offer than MK's. Of course, now it will with their shooting arcade, riverboat and island still intact (for now). But I felt underwhelmed with their FL compared to WDW's. Ours always felt so open to me and very "western expansion" like.

James Alucobond

3) The current plan is a STAGGERING aesthetic downgrade - literally paving paradise and putting in a parking lot. It also ruins the entire plan of a third of the park to which the water is integral. It doesn’t even rise to the level of a first draft - it would barely be acceptable as a brainstorming product. It’s unfathomably lazy and a huge indictment of the Imagineers.
I think this is the part where I’m willing to wait and see. Along the existing path, I can see what they’re going for with the transition from the northeast to Appalachia to the Opry to the bayou to Yellowstone to the southwest. I think this can look good from existing Frontierland. Very different, but still good. I’ll have to see how effectively they hide all things Cars. But therein lies the issue, which is that they have to hide parts of it, regardless of how pretty the walls surrounding it end up being. It’s cordoned off because they acknowledge that there will be cognitive dissonance otherwise.

mickEblu

I'm surprised by how much I'm bothered by this move considering I've never stepped foot into MK. I suppose it's because it can be viewed as a chin-k in the armor of Disneylands (or any version of the ROA) if you will. Granted, there are many more reasons they wouldn't do anything this extreme with Disneylands version but you never know with these guys. It's also because I view the ROA as maybe the most untouchable thing at Disneyland. Its right there and probably even more important in terms of placemaking than the Castle, Matterhorn and DLRR train station, What it does for the entire west side of the park cannot be overstated and I have to imagine it does the same thing even if it's not quite as utilized as DL's version.

Anyway, this decision by Disney is very disappointing so I'm going to just go focus on the announcements they made for DLR which are all very positive. Unless of course we hear Pandora is being plopped on top of Grizzly Peak and then there will be hell to pay.

Andrew M

This could be just copium talking, but…..the northern path adjacent to Thunder Mountain buts up against trees and….water? 🤔

View attachment 809271
I realize it's a very big longshot, but if they use this to cut the river short put in the same water-front theming they did for the railroad at Disneyland, that could be a huge improvement over the current complete lack of theming that most of the RR has.

There is water shown in the Villains Land concepts, so maybe there could be a way to maintain some part of the river and the riverboat ride to fit in with that. I know I should know better, but I'd be very surprised if they completely eliminated the Liberty Belle after the recent refurbishment.

1723652945271.png

Quietmouse

The truth is that this will probably fit in well frontier lane. Mountain trees, streams, water falls and a faux mountain like grizzly at dca will most definitely fit in with theme of frontier land. Heck, even BTM will look good and even more natural within the context of even more nature and mountains surrounding it.

If they can blend the ride well into the environment and keep the noise level down, then the debate of how well this fits into frontier land (ip discussions aside) is rather silly.

When you think of the frontiers you most definitely think of wilderness and mountains.

celluloid

This planned for 2029-2030 just means that we can expect a Cars 4 attempt near then. That is all it tells us.

Not only a sore thumb compared to the hyperreal around it...

in 2030-2040 it can be fair to say that a Cars area like this will be less culturally relevant than the Pioneer concept of American romanticized history is now.

mickEblu

I feel like I’m seeing far more negative feedback toward MuppetVision’s apparent removal than I am for anything here.

Which is CRAZY to me and kind of makes you realize that even those who think they may not care or want IP at the parks care far more than they realize if the removal of an old 3D show is giving them more grief than losing the ROA. Especially if Muppets presence will still be around somewhere at the parks. Once the ROA is gone its gone and it effects 1/3 of the park. It's not contained in a building. I mean, I know in this case its a little deeper because of Jim Henson and the fact that its an original and last version standing but its a bit of a head scratcher for me.

Gusey

I'm surprised by how much I'm bothered by this move considering I've never stepped foot into MK. I suppose it's because it can be viewed as a chin-k in the armor of Disneylands (or any version of the ROA) if you will. Granted, there are many more reasons they wouldn't do anything this extreme with Disneylands version but you never know with these guys. It's also because I view the ROA as maybe the most untouchable thing at Disneyland. Its right there and probably even more important in terms of placemaking than the Castle, Matterhorn and DLRR train station, What it does for the entire west side of the park cannot be overstated and I have to imagine it does the same thing even if it's not quite as utilized as DL's version.

Anyway, this decision by Disney is very disappointing so I'm going to just go focus on the announcements they made for DLR which are all very positive. Unless of course we hear Pandora is being plopped on top of Grizzly Peak and then there will be hell to pay.
It's very unlikely they'll get rid of the RoA at either Disneyland or Disneyland Paris. Disneyland's Rivers have a lot more going for them including Fantasmic, Mark Twain, SS Comumbia and the Canoes. Even when they considered converting TSI to Discovery Bay at one point, they still kept the rivers with bridges connecting the island to mainland. Disneyland Paris' was built with Big Thunder in the middle of it, so whilst they are down to one boat, the rivers will likely stay because of Big Thunder. Tokyo's on the other hand may face a similar fate to MK's as Tokyo Disneyland is running out of expansion space.

EeyoreFan#24

In regards to the Railroad, it would be really cool if that trackless off road tech could interface with RR crossings and have the train go right through the desert where they are racing.

That probably can’t happen for at least one million reasons, but it would be kinda neat.

celluloid

People said Cars Land at DCA wouldn't be relevant after 10 years, and here we are.

Cars Land there is very different. It is Route 66 .(and also does not take place in California. So the park had to abandoned that theme as well. They gave people starving a chicken and called it a steak as well. It is in fact a great land in design. More than the property likely deserves over a decade later of merch trends changing. It made its money from then on. It does not ask for it now.

I also don't recall anyone saying that very often, as it was built and forced synergy right after the first movie, the only one of the series, resonated and pushed merch. The land would sitll be gorgeous if the Cars overlay would not have gone in.

It was also where they pumped out two movies and spin offs since. See my comment you only partially quoted.
and DCA is still the most struggling stateside theme park. That is why it is still needing all that work after all that work.

All these knee jerk reactions show what happens when they need to do a lot of something due to neglect, and have little Marvel to use.

el_super

It's also because I view the ROA as maybe the most untouchable thing at Disneyland.

It's been changed and updated quite a few times. It lost Cascade Peak in 1998. It lost most of the trees in 2002. It was updated in 2009 (to add stuff missing since the trees were gone) and then shortened and reconfigured in 2016 with the SWGE changes. If you remember what it was like in the late 90s and even into the early 2000s, it's a shell of what it used to be. It's been gone for a long time really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom