News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

celluloid

I feel like Eisner doesn’t get the credit he deserves for having the vision of a true “resort” - of course that overbuilt resort is what cost him so much after Paris, but the vision is what created the resorts we have today.

nostalgia is a sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal association.

History is the study of past events.

So yes, people visit for nostalgia and not history. But the nostalgia is for something in the past.

Yes and originally optimistic and romanticized versions of America specifically except for Adventureland.
And Fantasyland, but those are Americana too. The romanticized ways America interacted with as exploration(hints of past coloniasm) and exotic to US cultures.
It was not America in geography, but in its mythos.

Fantasyland was the Disney doing the fsiryales most parents and grandparents were telling their children of the "old country."

The entire park was American mythos. The original plaque sums up the mission statment greatly

Last edited:

celluloid

I think both are true.

IP doesn’t ensure success. Good execution overtakes IP… but both operators are chasing that high of good IP and good execution.

Potter has shifted the industry and that’s really the culprit of the matter.

Is Disney management the exclusive problem - when these very boards are absolutely obsessed with Potter Swatters and Epic responses?
Iger had this pre potter really bad. It's not just IP lands. It is just excellerwted in industry right now. He was shoehornjng IP in everything and it still can only be based on something kf recent synergy for the pecific public conscience which is limiting.

Notice after Everest the things that were built.

celluloid

Yeah… the original Fantasyland was even more American. Dumbo and Casey Jr. Was definitely American circus. Carousel and dark rides were very carnival like. Then there was the skull rock and pirate ship.

The castle was more of an “American fairy tale castle” like you’d find in a park as well.
And at the time Most Americans knew those stories as their bedtime fables carried over from where their families immigrated from. Disney was adapting them but they were all very well known literature and folk.

There are quotes and entire books written on how Disneyland was a love letter to America. Walt intended it so.
It even included "hard facts" here and there.

You can't educate without inspiring. Disney knew he could slip hard truths in there in dramaturgy.
As for musuems...those can be just as vibe over fact. One can argue all history is, is memory and vibes when objective gets harder to get. So many museums can get things more wrong than good dramaturgy.

Last edited:

celluloid

EDIT: I like your Mermaid comparison too. Bc I really don’t care for it at all, but I would at least say the Under the Sea scene is better than anything MK has going on.
Which is kind of sad that with that and Ursula it peaks. And the lighting in Under The Sea and figures having more animation would elevate it easily, or tje entire ride needed to be as good as those.

Another ding against Mario is it is not zany enough to warrant the restraint and height requirement. If it was the sets may feel like you were zooming through a race more without speed and it is similar to the issue witb Cat in The Hat post spin changes. Raised height requirement lessened the experience even though many aspects are great when it functions.

Mario needs to either be zanier or figure out different seating with lower height requirement. It is in a weird spot.

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin is a good comparison for Mario Kart for me in scale for the ride itself.

I will say the first time the rainbow road finale was a great smooth illusion. A unique trippy speed tunnel moment. Got a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom