News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Raineman

It’s 2024, and you are holding Disney to this impossible bar of who they should be and currently are. I and many love what modern day Disney is doing. I’m not saying it’s perfect. Actually, its far from it, but the “legacy” Disney fan here can be a bit heavy handed in making their point and could care less about what other fans care about or quite frankly the actual reality of a situation.
On the flipside, the fans of "new" Disney theme park offerings can be very dismissive and mocking when "legacy" fans state why they don't like the new projects. This goes both ways. People tend to get very emotional about this stuff, especially when they don't understand why people have a differing opinion. It's kind of a microcosm of society in 2024, tbh.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, it actually is. It almost reminds me of a bad Pokémon game. With that said Universal clearly spending money, but that doesn’t mean it’s gonna be good. There other new trackless JP ride is ridiculously amazing! Essentially a full blow TREX is chasing the rider vehicle.
What does a ride at Movieland have to with Universal other than Movieland clearly ripping off a number of Universal movies?

Jurassic World Adventure is not trackless.

TomboyJanet

Well, I think the Dinoland expansion looks like an improvement, even though I think DL was chronically underrated. I’ll defend MMRR against almost all criticisms, even though GMR was custom-made to appeal to my personal interests and should never have been removed. And Cars Land in DCA is a masterpiece. Etc and so on.

But the reason I criticize so much of what modern Disney does in the parks is because the company keeps making the same set of mistakes over and over again. It does that because those mistakes spring from executives’ profound and fundamental misunderstanding of the theme park business and the nature of the Disney brand. Essentially, my criticisms are less about attacking every new project and more about recognizing the same old missteps… again and again and again.
THIS!
It's true. We wish they'd learn something. For me I know in my heart that if they did something totally cool like bring back the original feeling of the imagination ride or add Facilier to the Tiana ride, or say, make their lightning lane less complicated and cheaper, they would get sooo much more attendence, and I wouldn't be looking into travelling to Silver Dollar City to save money this time around.

Disstevefan1

Oh man. You do hold onto things! 😂
You said not everyone loves coasters or intense rides, I agreed and said the riverboat is a nice non intense ride.

But maybe you are right the Cars attraction will be a less intense ride for those who like a less intense ride AND they can SELL LLs to it!

lazyboy97o

I love that you are creating your own narrative. I brought it up as a question. Like, hey is this a comparable? Not hey this is going to happen. . Nice try

Also in no way is this clear that this isn’t Universal. Maybe to you it is. Wasn’t to me. Once again because I think you need repeating. It was brought up as a potential comparable. I also think you are wrong. This ride is trackless. Watch the video.
The title of the video is “Jurassic Park-Like Jeep Ride w/ NO Track! Drive Yourself Attraction | PANGEA at Movieland”

You can hear the engines humming. Nobody calls to go karts trackless rides because it is well understood that trackless rides describes a completely different type of technology.

Disstevefan1

“But maybe you are right I WILL BE WRONG the Cars attraction will be a less intense ride for those who like a less intense ride AND they can SELL LLs to it!”

I beleive believe this is what you posted. I didn’t say that. I apologize that comprehension ain’t your strong point. Yes it gets personal when someone is intentionally putting words in my mouth. In fact I’ll report it!
Fixed it. I apologize.
By the way you spelled believe wrong. I fixed that too. Don't worry, I have problems with that word too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I want to be clear.
I'm not saying this new Cars attraction at WDW will be fast.
But Disney is implying that it will be, so the onus is on them as to how they create the illusion or reality of a "thrilling Rallye Race."
They could have instead chosen to say "Come along on an off roading treck through the scenic west."
And I'm saying that if you believe the hype for a theme park ride, then you better be ready to believe you'll actually be in space on Space Mountain.

Casper Gutman

It’s 2024, and you are holding Disney to this impossible bar of who they should be and currently are. I and many love what modern day Disney is doing. I’m not saying it’s perfect. Actually, its far from it, but the “legacy” Disney fan here can be a bit heavy handed in making their point and could care less about what other fans care about or quite frankly the actual reality of a situation.
We’re holding Disney to the standard DISNEY set. I’m sorry, I’m not going to get starry-eyed about a brand label or be placated by the most ham-handed fan service imaginable.

On a related topic, let’s talk about IPs for a moment. They drive the entertainment industry right now, and Disney is following along. Fine. The problem is that Disney’s vision of IPs and how they can be utilized is so narrow, so completely blind to the past, that it hinders profit maximization and forces one to question the basic intelligence of decision-makers. The goal of any media company should be to develop and build audience for as many IPs as possible to fill the corporate silo. That means using EVERY media outlet, including THEME PARKS, to create new franchise that can be exploited through other pipelines. The studio that made hit films based on Pirates of the Carribean and Jungle Cruise should know this better than anyone. Yet what we get is a single-minded devotion to a very, very limited range of film-originated IPs, which severely limits Disney’s ability to realize its OWN corporate goals, let alone live up to the legacy that SHOULd define the overarching “Disney” IP itself.

Casper Gutman

I don't think most guests generally care about history of themeparks, they are primarily there for fun not a history lesson. I think they very much care about the theme because the more themed the land, more often than not, it's the most popular place in that park.

Of course most guests want IP because they want to "live in" or "experience" their favorite stories.
Is that what guests want? Is that why Disney parks failed so miserably before Universal’s Potter land definitively shifted the industry to single-IP lands and Iger killed all original ideas? Is that why Pirates, HM, BTM, Space, etc. were famously so unpopular?

celluloid

There are a lots of documented Walt quotes supporting a park that is always changing and improving over time.

Was there one specifically that suggested he didn't want changes in the park? Anything at all?

"I wanted something live, something that could grow, something I could keep plussing with ideas, you see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing; the thing will get more beautiful every year. And as I find what the public likes—and when a picture's finished and I put it out—I find out what they like, or they don't like, and I have to apply that to some other thing; I can't change that picture, so that's why I wanted that park."

— Walt Disney

I know you will rip this apart somehow anyway because of hubris, but if you are going to make such extremes...
Do your homework my man.

“I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” ― Walt Disney

Disstevefan1

I know you will rip this apart somehow anyway because of hubris, but if you are going to make such extremes...
Do your homework my man.

“I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” ― Walt Disney
In my opinion, When Walt died, TWDC stopped being Walt’s company.

In the Early 70’s and through to when EPCOT opened and maybe some time after that, I think there was the attitude, “What would Walt Do” I think even Eisner considered this.

With Iger, that’s gone. To be fair to Iger, he is neither creative nor a leader.

Last edited:

celluloid

In my opinion, When Walt died, TWDC stopped being Walt’s company.

In the Early 70’s and through to when EPCOT and maybe some time after that, I think there was the attitude, “What would Walt Do” I think even Eisner considered this.

With Iger, that’s gone. To be fair to Iger, he is neither creative nor a leader.

This is a good point. It is just silly to post quotes like he is a monolith when counter ones can easily be pulled. The guy was complex like all of us,

I had my dislikes of Eisner, but particularly they are similar to the reasons many did not like him near the end of his time there post Frank.

Reading Eisner's book it is quite clear the guy did have a creative side of its own and liked the gong show, even when it was not always perfect, its beneficial. Iger as you point out, does not have this.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

This is a good point. It is just silly to post quotes like he is a monolith when counter ones can easily be pulled. The guy was ocmplex like al of us,

I had my dislikes of Eisner, but particularly they are similar to the reasons many did not like him near the end of his time there post Frank.

Reading Eisner's book it is quite clear the guy did have a creative side of its own and liked the gong show, even when it was not always perfect, its beneficial. Iger as you point out, does not have this.
I remember the gong show. it was very funny my favorite was the unknown comic with the bag over his head 🤣

celluloid

I remember the gong show. it was very funny my favorite was the unknown comic with the bag over his head 🤣

Ha. It has come back a few odd times...now we just call it America's Got Talent(insert other geographical nation name if you want) of course.

But Imagineers definitely called what Eisner did the gong show. They would go in and they would act out their ideas of the attraction, bring cardboard sets. props etc to get the point across. What a time. Eisner found the parks new, interesting and worth perusing. It's polar opposite.

Last edited:

JD80

I think a large number of Disney Guests make the trip for nostalgic reasons... especially visiting the MK. I don't believe it has anything to do with a history lesson, but the park you grew up visiting... Familiar things blended with some new.... but not a total destruction of the format.... It can and should be both.... without fundamentally ruining the beauty of the park... and car part shaped mountain pieces in Frontierland are not the way to go.... Cars franchise really should be in DHS.... A "Beyond Thunder Mountain that is the Mining town that sprung up around Thunder Mountain Mine like Thunder Mesa in DLP... the mining facility, a Mexican village that would house a Coco Attraction, and a portal into the Villains area.... THAT is what would make thematic sense without destroying the overall shape and feel of the park....

History and nostalgia are different things. Nostalgia is probably the primary reason to visit WDW for many guests.

Animaniac93-98

We’re holding Disney to the standard DISNEY set. I’m sorry, I’m not going to get starry-eyed about a brand label or be placated by the most ham-handed fan service imaginable.

On a related topic, let’s talk about IPs for a moment. They drive the entertainment industry right now, and Disney is following along. Fine. The problem is that Disney’s vision of IPs and how they can be utilized is so narrow, so completely blind to the past, that it hinders profit maximization and forces one to question the basic intelligence of decision-makers. The goal of any media company should be to develop and build audience for as many IPs as possible to fill the corporate silo. That means using EVERY media outlet, including THEME PARKS, to create new franchise that can be exploited through other pipelines. The studio that made hit films based on Pirates of the Carribean and Jungle Cruise should know this better than anyone. Yet what we get is a single-minded devotion to a very, very limited range of film-originated IPs, which severely limits Disney’s ability to realize its OWN corporate goals, let alone live up to the legacy that SHOULd define the overarching “Disney” IP itself.

I agree with all of this, but on top of that their IP rides often aren't very good to begin with either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom