News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

There does seem to be a weird motive by Iger to drastically change existing theme parks that goes beyond money.

Ripping out Fountain of Nations is by far the worst example.

He doesn’t understand the Disney Parks at all…. He doesn’t get that Osbourne Lights and the Great Movie Ride were worth saving.
We are talking about someone whose first instinct was to jettison the whole lot of them because he didn’t see them as a core business. Big visible changes is the easy way to having a visible legacy, especially as you start fancying yourself as a creative since the people who design theme parks have never demanded the sort of recognition demanded by filmmakers.

TomboyJanet

It's based on the version of Yellowstone from Planes, which is in the same universe as Cars. No Route 66 is involved.
Even worse....No one remembers that movie, and that is an excuse for bare bones theming. Expect almost no animatronics and mostly static features
I agree with you. People have said that the riverboat, TSI, Splash and CBJ weren’t the Frontier. Well they’re a heck of a lot more Frontier than the automobile. More and more Disney is becoming just another thrill ride experience, an amusement park, than it is a theme park. Just window dressing to get to the next coaster or other fast moving vehicle. They might as well bulldoze Fantasyland. Screw the kids and the grandparents. Or people with heart issues or people who just don’t like thrill rides. I might be finally done with Disney and I’ve been going since 1973. I even honeymooned at the Grand Floridian.
There's just too many thrill rides now everything is so big the lines get so long! It's like you can't just find a relaxing ride anymore everything is a coaster or a next gen thingamabob or a gigantic footprint with 3 figures and 30 screens, but it moves fast and makes flashy lights so you think there's more to it. add that to the hyper complicated irritating reservation systems and lightning lanes and you got the theme park equivalent of a sensory overload during a bad acid trip. Meanwhile Universal is giving us smooth organic shrooms
toadstool.jpg

TomboyJanet

“Here we experience the story of our country's past ... the colorful drama of Frontier America in the exciting days of the covered wagon and the stage coach ... the advent of the railroad ... and the romantic riverboat. Frontierland is a tribute to the faith, courage and ingenuity of the pioneers who blazed the trails across America.”

- Walt Disney
I think this post sums up EXACTLY what the problem with disney parks is and WHY they are losing attendance.
We get it it. You hate Disney.

I think this sums up exactly what's wrong with modern disney parks. They used to be both about ip and about cool experiences that ignite an interest in history, science, etc but now in the age of the dumb brain dead phone zombie entertainment, we are left with all flash and no substance

TomboyJanet

I don’t blame the customer though… if anything more guests care about the parks now, than at anytime in the past.

People watch documentaries on imagineering, and look up random facts about which park has which rides.
And All I keep hearing from people I show the old rides to is "OMG I wanna ride that so bad!!?? Why did they get rid of that? I really missed out!! this is the reaction everytime I show it to someone too young or just that didn't go back then

TomboyJanet

And All I keep hearing from people I show the old rides to is "OMG I wanna ride that so bad!!?? Why did they get rid of that? I really missed out!! this is the reaction everytime I show it to someone too young or just that didn't go back then
Oh and speaking of that..... quoting myself here, but I think that the Gen X people that run Disney now are not sure how sophisticated and knowledgeable younger people have become thanks to immediate access to information.

My friend joked that
Kids of today would appreciate the disney world of yesterday and kids of yesterday may appreciate the disneyworld of today? Prob not but it sounds profound

TomboyJanet

Completely nonsensical leap in logic, but 'kay.
What I mean by that is, While yes the rockwork is impressive, we already have thunder mountain. So that's not adding anything new. So what is the expirience? Is it just a bunch of shacks with cheap looking metal roofs and an entirely outdoor track? I mean I've seen the cars section of Disney studio adventure whateverland and it was basically just that. The toy story land there was so minimal I literally felt like the little disney specific tugging on the loop thing with the seatbelt felt out of place because I forgot that I wasn't at six flags for a moment.

I look at the artwork I don't see any indoor segments, that means it's probably just thrills and not magic.

Bocabear

Carsland at DCA is absolutely fantastic. It is a beautiful slam-dunk design project based on a location we have seen in films. Whimsical, colorful and full of eye candy. The shops and restaurants are all beautifully tied into the whole.
This project is based on a place nobody knows, in a location that is at odds with everything around it... I would rather see them delete Cars from the plans entirely... if TSI and the ROA absolutely have to go, turning the current Frontierland into a gorgeously themed, early 20th century New Orleans Riverbend area would tie Tiana into the park in a meaningful way, then scrap the Cars crap for a brand new immersive Frontierland...new additional attractions, shops and shows...A Coco themed Mexican village, and an old abandoned Mining operation at the end of town that creates the transition portal to Villain's the Villain's lair...through an old mine shaft into a whole new world. It could be stunning, still use IP, and create a thematic bridge to take you from the Historic Riverside setting that is current Frontierland all the way to Villain's land... Put the Cars Road Rally in DHS or where the current Speedway sits...

Disstevefan1

Carsland at DCA is absolutely fantastic. It is a beautiful slam-dunk design project based on a location we have seen in films. Whimsical, colorful and full of eye candy. The shops and restaurants are all beautifully tied into the whole.
This project is based on a place nobody knows, in a location that is at odds with everything around it... I would rather see them delete Cars from the plans entirely... if TSI and the ROA absolutely have to go, turning the current Frontierland into a gorgeously themed, early 20th century New Orleans Riverbend area would tie Tiana into the park in a meaningful way, then scrap the Cars crap for a brand new immersive Frontierland...new additional attractions, shops and shows...A Coco themed Mexican village, and an old abandoned Mining operation at the end of town that creates the transition portal to Villain's the Villain's lair...through an old mine shaft into a whole new world. It could be stunning, still use IP, and create a thematic bridge to take you from the Historic Riverside setting that is current Frontierland all the way to Villain's land... Put the Cars Road Rally in DHS or where the current Speedway sits...
Absolutely perfect and well thought out! 😍

Never gonna happen.

We must remember who we are dealing with.

Basil of Baker Street

I watched a great video today about the mistake of ripping out the river. The problem is that Disney seems to think everything needs to be an E ticket now or else it needs to go. Which, in their eyes, means more and more LL revenue. Fewer people visiting "unpopular" attractions like TSI, Tiki Room, Swiss Family Treehouse, Carousel of Progress...I feel like nothing is safe. All are at risk of being replaced with something "more popular" that can sell LLs. Disney doesn't seem to understand that a variety of attractions are integral to the park. It's why Hollywood suffers so much. Not enough non-headliner attractions/diversions.
I can't blame Disney here. The masses want the E's. People today aren't planning trips to Disney to ride the new clam shell.

Personally, I would gladly trade out an E for 2 B's or C's.

Disstevefan1

I can't blame Disney here. The masses want the E's. People today aren't planning trips to Disney to ride the new clam shell.

Personally, I would gladly trade out an E for 2 B's or C's.
I cant blame Disney for creating more E ticket rides but (in my opinion) I blame Disney for not doing true expansions on new, undeveloped land, as WDW has the blessing of size.

Casper Gutman

Completely nonsensical leap in logic, but 'kay.
Look at the concept art. It’s rock work (the one thing Disney seems eager to build) and one scene with two AAs. We’ll likely get a bunch of static figures as well.

Losing RoA isn’t great, but it’s not a disaster because it will continue to exist in other Disney parks. The problem is losing RoA for an unimpressive Autopia-style ride based on a direct-to-video quality movie, all while ruining the theming of an entire land and clashing three of the resorts most iconic structures. If we were losing RoA for a well-integrated blockbuster attraction… well, adding attractions outright is always better, but that wouldn’t be nearly as atrocious.

Bastet

Can this undeveloped land actually still be built on or have rules/regulations/laws changed or up to date surveys proved it is not suitable? Walt's statement about the blessing of size was most likely an off the cuff remark that could easily have been incorrect when talking about MK.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Losing RoA isn’t great, but it’s not a disaster because it will continue to exist in other Disney parks. The problem is losing RoA for an unimpressive Autopia-style ride based on a direct-to-video quality movie, all while ruining the theming of an entire land and clashing three of the resorts most iconic structures. If we were losing RoA for a well-integrated blockbuster attraction… well, adding attractions outright is always better, but that wouldn’t be nearly as atrocious.
You have no idea where it will be like that. Also the concept art does show the cars going in and out of places so it seems like there will be some indoor show scenes.
1000001793.jpg

Casper Gutman

You have no idea where it will be like that. Also the concept art does show the cars going in and out of places so it seems like there will be some indoor show scenes. View attachment 819145
I’m fairly certain you circled the load/unload and a tunnel. If this was going to be an AA extravaganza, the art would show that. The material shown at this stage is a best-case scenario that will be cost-cut significantly - remember the very impressive Guardians of the Galaxy preshow art shown much later in the process?

Disstevefan1

You have no idea where it will be like that. Also the concept art does show the cars going in and out of places so it seems like there will be some indoor show scenes. View attachment 819145
No one knows what it will really look like when its open, including Disney.

I understand that, but Disney should have know folks were going to analyze what they release and try to make sense of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom