News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

tpoly88

I won’t “accept” any plan that doesn’t keep the riverboat operating but I’m fine with a much shorter route.

I actually like the idea of keeping the lower island only - we do lose the fort and the cool bridge, but everything else we get to keep including the mills, the barrel bridge, etc.

It expands the park, makes the riverboat more attractive and increases capacity with a shorter run time - simplifies maintenance on the island. Lots of wins.
forgive my ignorance but in the original post, the map showed a large area for this cars attraction and a lot of it looked outside the ring of the train. Could they go out that way, redirect of make a tunnel for Floridian way and keep RoA and TSI? I just hope they don't try to shoe horn this attraction in like they did with the mine train and make the attraction less than it should be.

wannabeBelle

forgive my ignorance but in the original post, the map showed a large area for this cars attraction and a lot of it looked outside the ring of the train. Could they go out that way, redirect of make a tunnel for Floridian way and keep RoA and TSI? I just hope they don't try to shoe horn this attraction in like they did with the mine train and make the attraction less than it should be.
We can but hope but it doesnt look that way. What you propose would make a lot more sense in my opinion, by adding a great new attraction ( hopefully!) but keep the sight lines and general feel of the land in that area. Also it would increase the footprint of the park which is certainly needed as Magic Kingdom is the #1 theme park in the world. More room for guests to go into couldnt be a bad thing.
Most people are worried that they will be filling in RoA and bulldozing TSI and plopping the Cars attraction there, but we may not get the amazing concept art version that was shown.
Marie

Schmidt

I am a huge Disney and WDW fan. I actually do not want to know how much I have spent on all things Disney in my life.

I really love the Pandora land in AK although it took way too long to build. Yes, they jammed in an IP, but I still like it.

The EPCOT renovation of Future world was a HUGE disappointment and took way too long.

Harmonious was a disappointment and a huge waste of money. I really miss illuminations. I wish they simply updated the tech, maybe tweaked the show and threw in some IP and created an updated illuminations.

The Star cruiser was out of my price range and I am disappointed they pulled the plug so soon. It seems TWDC can lose truckloads of money in their movie business and streaming business but they run their theme park business with really tight budgets compared to their other businesses.

Mostly due to the HUGE disappointment about the Future world renovation I am really worried about this Cars area as I expect this to take WAY TOO LONG and will be cost cut to death. I am happy to be wrong, we will see in 6 to 8 years from now.

I am also disappointed that in WDW which has the blessing of size still wants to "destroy and replace" instead of actually expanding and I will miss ROA TSI and the riverboat, but yes I am a weirdo who always watched the film at the end of Maelstrom. I do enjoy the Frozen ride that replaced it; love the queue, and do enjoy the ride even though I understand it should not be there and they just jammed in an IP.

I will also miss Muppets 3D when they destroy that.

We were at EPCOT in Feb. and AK in June and spent way too much money both times. 🤣 My family stayed at WDW resorts at least three times this year and have a couple of stayed scheduled this year while I stay home to make the money to give to the mouse. 🤣

Axe to grind? You bet.

I think the things TWDC does to my beloved WDW gets to me because I am too much of a WDW fan...
Cool.

There are new people in charge of parks.
I also think the pressure EpIc will put on MK is about to change product quality and
What was the reason for Toy Story Land?
What was the reasons for Galaxies Edge?
Galaxies Edge is amazing! You don’t like it? That’s fine, but you keep spinning it as if it’s a failure. It’s my favorite theme park experience bar none for me.

Toy Story land is equally amazing as a d plus attraction. Yes there were some cuts but an area that is fun to be in. I love it.

Honestly I don’t know what you expect?
Spinning these as failures is a bit ridiculous. I get we all like different things but I don’t tear things down just because it’s not for me.

TrainsOfDisney

Spinning these as failures is a bit ridiculous. I get we all like different things but I don’t tear things down just because it’s not for me.
I didn’t say, nor do I think either are a failure. There are some parts of the Epcot redesign I like - although Fountain of Nations removal should be a criminal offense.

What I was pointing out were the budget cuts from concept art to finished product - the same that happened to the Epcot redesign.

TrainsOfDisney

Which parts? The broken lights, the air-conditioned building that replaced an existing air-conditioned building, or the water cycle walk-through?
The tables in the shaded areas are nice - I don’t love the design but the Starbucks and Connections Cafe do serve the area better than the former Starbucks and electric umbrella. Some of the additional plants are nice (minus the one of questionable design of course).

Moana is good cause it’s an all ages walk through that is fun… it just looks like it was designed for another park, but it’s still a bit of a positive.

I like the concept of a Walt statue, but the execution leaves alot to be desired ha.

MickeyLuv'r

I forgot Pirates and PhilharMagic only has Coco from this century. Country Bears has modern songs now but not modern characters.
MK does always seem to be 20 years behind, New Fantasyland used film that came out then 20 years ago. Completely understand that Cars might not fit in Frontierland, but MK does need some IP injection from the last 20 years, particularly from the New Renaissance era of Disney (Princess and the Frog to Encanto)
C B movie was made in 2002. Though if you are saying the movie was forgettable, I think we'd all agree with you.

James Alucobond

What was the reason for Toy Story Land?
What was the reasons for Galaxies Edge?
I would assume cost overruns and (in the latter example) siphoning of entertainment offerings for eventual use in the Starcruiser. I didn't say things don't change, just that the scale of plan alteration, the genuine cutting of funding, and the reason behind it is different for EPCOT.

Sneaky

C B movie was made in 2002. Though if you are saying the movie was forgettable, I think we'd all agree with you.
I disagree. It may be not good, but it’s not forgettable. I will never get the everything about Christopher Walkens character and performance to leave my Brain.

It is not ovah. Beahs.

TrainsOfDisney

I didn't say things don't change, just that the scale of plan alteration, the genuine cutting of funding, and the reason behind it is different for EPCOT.
It doesn’t really matter what the reason is does it?

Comparing released concept art to actual finished product- the “scale of plan alteration” seems pretty similar at Epcot, Toy Story Land, and Galaxies Edge.

James Alucobond

It doesn’t really matter what the reason is does it?

Comparing released concept art to actual finished product- the “scale of plan alteration” seems pretty similar at Epcot, Toy Story Land, and Galaxies Edge.
The scale of the cuts is not the same at all. You had two full attractions abandoned (Poppins, PLAY!), one significant refurbishment cancelled (Spaceship Earth), and an ambitious architectural structure replaced with a gas station (Festival Center) in addition to the more typical alterations you might expect from overruns within the gardens themselves (e.g. no Wishing Tree, nixed water feature, diminished elevated area around the statue, etc.).

TrainsOfDisney

The scale of the cuts is not the same at all. You had two full attractions abandoned (Poppins, PLAY!), one significant refurbishment cancelled (Spaceship Earth), and an ambitious architectural structure replaced with a gas station (Festival Center) in addition to the more typical alterations you might expect from overruns within the gardens themselves (e.g. no Wishing Tree, nixed water feature, diminished elevated area around the statue, etc.).
Those are multiple projects - I’m talking about the Epcot spine project only.

Otherwise I’d lump Galaxies Edge, Toy Story Land, and Runaway Railway into the same “DHS” project

el_super

Why? For what end? To suggest that no new projects should ever be undertaken because the budgets will be cut? Even the opening of Disneyland had it's budget cut. It's not a valid reason to downplay potential new product.

RSoxNo1

Why is it still appropriate? How do you have an honest conversation about european expansion into the indigenous lands in north america, and still make it fun and lighthearted enough for the kind of entertainment people want in a theme park?

Why draw the connection and risk the controversy when you can just switch it all over to owned fantasy IP and reduce the anger?

Generally, if they end up keeping the name, it sounds like this is what they will be doing: redefining "Frontierland" to be about natural wilderness in the modern era, instead of drawing the historical comparisons from the past.
To clarify, I meant that my preferred name, "Riverfront Square" is no longer an applicable name since the area is no longer along a river front. What is appropriate is some sort of celebration of our expansion west from the 13 original colonies. Tiana's Bayou Adventure can be the starting point of the Louisiana purchase. Cars is the Pacific Northwest and Thunder Mountain is monument valley.

If the theme is "expansion west using Disney IP" than they've essentially outlined that.

James Alucobond

Regardless of how you want to arbitrarily scope the complaint, the Festival Center downgrade to CommuniCore Hall is a uniquely massive change in plans necessitated by a similarly unique reduction in funding. We’re not talking about opting not to build out a shop/restaurant interior or cutting some of the scenic decor and entertainment in the area.

MickeyLuv'r

All good points.
  • OK, jammed in for Pandora was wrong wording, and as I said, I like it very much.
  • OK, the EPCOT renovation of future world is a huge disappointment to ME and in my opinion, it took too long for what we got.
  • We totally agree on Harmonious to Luminous.
  • We agree on Star Cruiser, my point is they should not have pulled the plug so soon to get the tax write off.
  • I am giving TWDC some slack on Frozen ever after even if I was one of the weirdos who always watched the movie at the end of Maelstrom.
This is not a thread on Pandora, but I have mixed feelings about it, and where it is located. The rides have been popular, so in that way it is a success, but my inclination when I visit is to think up a number of ways it could have been better.

One tiny aspect is that they sell some fun, real plants in the post-FoP gift shop, but much of the land is fake plants. With a little more effort though they could have used exotic-looking real plants. It would be so fun if Pandora had real pitcher plants, for example, beyond the ones in the gift shop. Disney could have used real plants to make Pandora look exotic, as Seussland does.

If Disney really wanted fake plants, then they missed a grand opportunity to have the plants DO something that really puts them as part of the world of Pandora. They should interact with us in ways that are interesting. Pandora should have had something roughly like Potterworld's wands. Disney sells crap like lightsabers, and droids, but buyers can't actually use the sabers for saberfights. Ages ago Disney gave is interactive music spaces in Imagination, but nothing like that in Pandora, which is SUPPOSED to be a place with interactive powers.

I am slightly inclined to see Epcot's Moana as a fun interactive space. A fraction of what Pandora should have been, but a step in the right direction.

A properly built Pandora would have = AK is fun after dark.

Star Cruiser to me, is exactly what is wrong with the company right now. It was lame, bloated, absurdly overpriced, weirdly claustrophobic, and meant for a very limited audience.

Theme parks are best when they seek to create universally appealing experiences.

If WDW is going to remake RoA area, I'd much rather they create a new attraction that uses the existing water in some way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom