News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

Georgia, where Splash Mountain and its source film Song of the South is not and never was the Frontier (West). The point is valid that the Cars proposal at least takes place in the Frontier, albeit at a different time, which Splash Mountain did not. Tiana is on the cusp given you could argue the Louisiana Purchase catalyzed the west-ward migration that defined the Frontier
that’s why I said time perspective.

Splash and now Tiana had a natural fit theme wise in Disneyland - and a bit of a shoe-horn in MK. In both cases the imagineers made them work (in only one case did the actual ride work…. Was only operating 20% of today! Haha).

Chef idea Mickey`=

What made it even worse for the EPCOT work was after all that time and the walls came down how disappointing it was!

We really have no idea what we are going to end up with in the MK after the walls come down 10 or so years from now!

I expect to be disappointed, if I am still alive to see it.
So underwhelming that I actually preferred walking by Creation Shop with the walls for at that time it looked like it would been better than the reality just by seeing trees being planted or construction.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Splash and now Tiana had a natural fit theme wise in Disneyland - and a bit of a shoe-horn in MK. In both cases the imagineers made them work (in only one case did the actual ride work…. Was only operating 20% of today! Haha).
The source material may have been Georgia but the ride itself never felt like that at all. It felt like as it should, the frontier. Amazing what imagineers could do at one time. 🙄

Chef idea Mickey`=

Toxic fandom. They are being told the reasons why this is happening, and they're going into denial.

Even when there is evidence that Imagineering might be trying to tweak the project to keep the southern island, they still twist into pretzels to deny it.
I would hope that is evidence and for once those at Disney are listening or considering for once... wonder what the reasons for The Red Trolley now in DCA right after this is about*.

Ghost93

The source material may have been Georgia but the ride itself never felt like that at all. It felt like as it should, the frontier. Amazing what imagineers could do at one time. 🙄
Yeah they changed the style of the music from Disneyland to Magic Kingdom to better reflect the Frontierland theme.

Also, while the live action portions of SOTS are definitely set in Georgia, I always imagined the animated segments taking place in a fictional land where critters talk.

SpaceMountain77

Do we think there is anyone within the Walt Disney Company that has said in a meeting, "If we have pervasive, active construction zones within guest view at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Magic Kingdom, do you think it might result in guests vacationing elsewhere until we are done?"

CoasterCowboy67

You said “not at all” to the prior comment, which isn’t true. Their point was very much valid geographically

You can say sorry now :)

Ghost93

Do we think there is anyone within the Walt Disney Company that has said in a meeting, "If we have pervasive, active construction zones within guest view at Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Magic Kingdom, do you think it might result in guests vacationing elsewhere until we are done?"
I think they know 2025 is a lost cause anyway due to Epic Universe, so it makes sense to advance the construction while the tourists go elsewhere.

Quietmouse

what stops universals building a theme park devoted to just Nintendo and calling it universal Nintendo world?

I guarantee that if they had a whole theme park devoted to Nintendo ips that would print money on the spot and be a genuine Disney threat.

Epic as a whole is kind of wishy washy between being a threat and not.

Reusing Harry Potter as a whole new land again seems overkill, and how to train your dragon land seems okay at best. Not sure how that ip deserves being an entire land, but okay.

The dark universe and Nintendo land seem like the 2 lands that have the largest potential and are the only reason why I want to visit epic.

CoasterCowboy67

Frontierland lost its heart and soul when they built Splash Mountain, which never made any sense in that land.

Now they’re diversifying it a bit more which, in an odd way, arguably makes it more cohesive than it was post-Splash.
100%, and look at all the love Splash Mountain grew to have here despite its southern accents and having nothing to do with the Frontier :) so much love, that those who dissect themes here all the time don’t even care it didn’t have anything to do with the Frontier theme to begin with. Shows you what a great ride can do

Who knows, in a few decades maybe these Frontier-themed Cars will win those hearts over

Last edited:

Schmidt

EPCOT from 2019 through 2024 was a walled experience with construction defining the park experience. I cannot help but wonder if the devotion of Disney Parks fans is great enough to overlook a 10-year construction zone at Magic Kingdom.

We will not stop going to Walt Disney World, but pervasive construction and the subsequent departure from immersion will likely result in few to no visits to Magic Kingdom.
Ive been to Epcot alot between 2019-2024 and not once did the construction define my park experience. Just saying. Why go to the parks if that’s your relationship with it.

Sounds a bit bombastic.

easyrowrdw

I agree. I never got any connection between Splash and Georgia. The ride looked nothing like any part of Georgia I’ve ever visited but very much resembles parts of the west. It seemed perfectly at home in Frontierland.

Quietmouse

I watched the song of the south for the first time last night.

My general impressions:

1) didn’t really understand how the movie was racist?

2) the movie itself was just not that interesting to watch. The animated portion seemed very cliche, almost like Disney copying other styles, I don’t know it didn’t work for me.

I also never liked Mary poppin either so maybe I’m just not into those kind of movies.

DisneyHead123

Random thought. I would be more open to changes like this if Disney’s attitude towards IP was similar to that of the Asian parks. There, they seem to love the IP, seem to love creating fantasy worlds, and it shows. Beautiful. (If that’s a misinterpretation apologies.)

US based Disney has a very different attitude towards IP. The most expensive deluxe hotels and funnel suites have demure, understated “touches” of Disney here and there. If you want to stay at a place that is just decked out in Disney, you need to go to a value resort. And yet Magic Kingdom… a veritable historical landmark at this point… is having the beautiful, delicate woodwork of the Liberty Belle replaced by cartoon cars?

If Disney sees the value in overt IP of that nature, why is it not all over the Grand Floridian? Or the funnel suites? Riviera? The new Poly Tower? Etc. It just seems like a stark contradiction to me.

TrainsOfDisney

I also never liked Mary poppin
BD4123B1-69AD-4563-B6DA-4BFB8CD8B1AA.jpeg

Quietmouse

Random thought. I would be more open to changes like this if Disney’s attitude towards IP was similar to that of the Asian parks. There, they seem to love the IP, seem to love creating fantasy worlds, and it shows. Beautiful. (If that’s a misinterpretation apologies.)

US based Disney has a very different attitude towards IP. The most expensive deluxe hotels and funnel suites have demure, understated “touches” of Disney here and there. If you want to stay at a place that is just decked out in Disney, you need to go to a value resort. And yet Magic Kingdom… a veritable historical landmark at this point… is having the beautiful, delicate woodwork of the Liberty Belle replaced by cartoon cars?

If Disney sees the value in overt IP of that nature, why is it not all over the Grand Floridian? Or the funnel suites? Riviera? The new Poly Tower? Etc. It just seems like a stark contradiction to me.

Because the hotel business and theme park business are not the same.

Theme parks generate revenue from ticket sales, season passes, food and beverage, lightning passes, merchandise sales. ( this is a big one).

Hotels are different with how they generate revenue.

FettFan

It kind of is. Case in point Mizner’s Lounge being replaced with BatB at the Grand Floridian, and the Incredibles-themed rooms at the Contemporary.

Chef idea Mickey`=

If Disney sees the value in overt IP of that nature, why is it not all over the Grand Floridian? Or the funnel suites? Riviera? The new Poly Tower? Etc. It just seems like a stark contradiction to meme.
Riviera has IP in art form sense, The new Poly Tower happens to be Moana but interesting enough in hints and touches contrast to Edna Mode and Incredible bodies in your face at The Contemporary 🤮!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom