News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Schmidt

Just talking about one park (DCA) and one land (Bugs Life) and what it was replaced with
I don't know. I would be pretty excited to be getting 2 Avengers E tickets, Major Pandora Ride, and Coco.
Seems like you are focusing on what you lost. To be honest what you lost was minimal in the scheme of things. I think Disney knocked it out of the park for DCA and WDW. Its kind of odd what people are complaining about especially for DCA. Are you really going to miss a Bugs Life. lololol.

October82

Adventureland was created at a time that far off jungle locales were still considered exotic, dangerous, and different enough to solicit wonder.
They still do. That's why the wealthy still visit exotic places (even if takes slightly less wealth today than it once did). The jet engine may have made world smaller than it once was, but it's still a big and interesting place. It's a pretty impoverished view to think otherwise.

It's not necessarily that YouTube videos replace the experience of going to these places, but that the idea of a far off place being dangerous and exotic ... isn't the case anymore. They are easily accessible in that you can get a fair amount of real information about them in 30 minutes or less.

So why go see a fake version at a Disney park?

That's not even touching on the idea that calling someone else's home exotic for entertainment value isn't really something the kids today will accept at a social level.
People in the 1950s and 1960s also had access to information about these places in 30 minutes or less. We now have information about those places in 3 seconds or less. This logic applies to anything - why go to the Disney Parks if I have Cars at home? Why go on Toy Story Midway Mania if it was literally available for a video game console?

The answer isn't the world is less full of adventure and wonder than it used to be, or that people today are enlightened by the existence of Youtube in a way that the people of the 1950s weren't, but that theme parks are a fundamentally different kind of experience from a virtual experience, reading a book, or watching a movie. Going to a theme park isn't, and wasn't, a substitute for going on a real African jungle cruise, visiting a "real" haunted house, or exploring the frontier. And it isn't the same as reading about those things in a book or watching it on a laptop screen either. None of these are substitutes for each other.

CoasterCowboy67

I don't know. I would be pretty excited to be getting 2 Avengers E tickets, Major Pandora Ride, and Coco.
Seems like you are focusing on what you lost. To be honest what you lost was minimal in the scheme of things. I think Disney knocked it out of the park for DCA and WDW. Its kind of odd what people are complaining about especially for DCA. Are you really going to miss a Bugs Life. lololol.
I agree. I’m using the example to highlight how losing a riverboat and an island walkthrough attraction also isn’t a big deal if we’re getting 2 Cars attractions, one with a brand new ride system, and 2 “major” attractions in Villains. After already getting Tron

How is that not also exciting? People are saying Disneyland in CA is doing a better job at expansions than WDW, but there’s no evidence to support that

CoasterCowboy67

Today I learned:

It is going backwards to replace 4 flats, a show, and a splash pad with an E and 2 D rides.

So, let's look around the parks to see where there's an E and 2 Ds, and then tear them down and replace them with 4 flats, a show, and a splash pad. That will make the parks better!!
I didn’t say that and nobody else did (that I know of). I brought up Bugs Land to dispel the myth that DLR is exclusively making net new adds with no replacement or sacrifice of existing attractions. It clearly isn’t, and the red trolley is another casualty

I think both resorts have a good lineup and the replacements both are making are healthy progress. In the case of MK, we’re sacrificing less to get more with the Cars + Villains combo. MK only has to lose a river (scenery), a playground and boat ride that many don’t use. In its place, we’re getting major attractions and different kind of beautiful scenery in the form of mountains

If losing more attractions in Bugs Land wasn’t a big deal to guests, losing ROA won’t be either :)

CoasterCowboy67

What really confuses me is the number of posters who seem happy that people like me are sad about this loss. It’s weird.

I saw it in the splash thread too but it was hidden behind the “moral” reasons that splash mountain can’t possibly exist anymore. Haha
Nobody is happy about another’s sadness. They’re happy that major new attractions are coming to MK with little sacrifice to the existing lineup (which we all have varying opinions on, as we’ve learned here)

LittleBuford

What really confuses me is the number of posters who seem happy that people like me are sad about this loss. It’s weird.

I saw it in the splash thread too but it was hidden behind the “moral” reasons that splash mountain can’t possibly exist anymore. Haha
That’s not a fair or accurate characterisation of the Splash thread. Even those of us who understood the need for the retheme were for the most part sad to see an old favourite go.

Ghost93

That’s not a fair or accurate characterisation of the Splash thread. Even those of us who understood the need for the retheme were for the most part sad to see an old favourite go.
My thoughts exactly. Splash Mountain was my favorite ride at Disney World, but I totally understand why it's inappropriate to have a ride based on Song of the South operating in 2024.

I think both Tom Sawyer Island and Rivers of America are very well-themed, and I get why people are sad to see them go, but from a business perspective I think getting rid of them is a no-brainer. Tom Sawyer's island is pretty much dead (NO ONE goes there, so they won't even be able to appreciate the good theming) and Cars will be infinitely more popular for the average guest. And getting rid of the rivers is a necessary sacrifice to improve access to the Villains land, which should be popular.

People are valid in their feelings for losing ROA and Tom Sawyer Island, but I don't think Disney is totally insane for making a decision that makes total business sense. I also think the concept art for the new Cars land is aesthetically pleasing, and if executed well, should address the concerns about losing beautiful scenery.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Are African Americans represented in any attractions aside from tiana?
If they were to remove Splash Mountain there are plenty of alternative adventures they could of done. 🫠 Although if this ride was created originally for Disneyland then Tiana makes absolute sense for New Orleans Square and Tiana's restaurant which doesn't seem they want to bring it to WDW. So must mean WDW was supposed to get something different because not having the restaurant alongside makes it a lite experience of the same experience you are to get in both coasts.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Reading this thread just makes me even more terrified for the parks.
Now people have access to 4K videos, travel blogs and all assortment of entertainment options that allow them to imagine being in the unexplored Jungle (not to mention accessible travel options) which defeats the purpose of the original Jungle Cruise.
Yeah. If you want to see Norway or England or France ... you can go to those places. Disney is the only place you can see Frozen, Mary Poppins or Remy.
By that logic, I guess we should tear out Journey of the Little Mermaid, Frozen Ever After, and Remy's Ratatouille Adventure too. I can just watch The Little Mermaid, Frozen, and Ratatouille at home, I don't have to go to a theme park to see the characters.

And not everybody can afford to go to Norway or England or France. Heck, by your logic, they could just sit on their butts and watch videos of those places on YouTube instead of going there.
I'm just surprised of all things Princess and The Frog or Tiana got selected for Splash Mountain. Many say Cars is not a popular Pixar IP but it's definitely more well known nowadays than say Princess and the Frog for a hit..just my opinion.
The only reason we got The Princess and the Frog as the retheme of Splash Mountain is because people online demanded it.
This logic applies to anything - why go to the Disney Parks if I have Cars at home? Why go on Toy Story Midway Mania if it was literally available for a video game console?
Yes. That is correct.
The answer isn't the world is less full of adventure and wonder than it used to be, or that people today are enlightened by the existence of Youtube in a way that the people of the 1950s weren't, but that theme parks are a fundamentally different kind of experience from a virtual experience, reading a book, or watching a movie. Going to a theme park isn't, and wasn't, a substitute for going on a real African jungle cruise, visiting a "real" haunted house, or exploring the frontier. And it isn't the same as reading about those things in a book or watching it on a laptop screen either. None of these are substitutes for each other.
This is also correct.

Stripes

Premium Member
Tearing out RoA, the heart and soul of Frontierland, isn’t little sacrifice.
Frontierland lost its heart and soul when they built Splash Mountain, which never made any sense in that land.

Now they’re diversifying it a bit more which, in an odd way, arguably makes it more cohesive than it was post-Splash.

TrainsOfDisney

Frontierland lost its heart and soul when they built Splash Mountain, which never made any sense in that land.

Now they’re diversifying it a bit more which, in an odd way, arguably makes it more cohesive than it was post-Splash.
not at all - from a time perspective nothing had a set time period until Tiana which is still 1920’s correct? Now we are plopping modern cars into the same land.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Yeah. If you want to see Norway or England or France ... you can go to those places. Disney is the only place you can see Frozen, Mary Poppins or Remy
It depends really how you go, why you go. I go to Disney for only what Disney has! To be more specific like only has in Florida

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom