News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Quietmouse

Unless I’m looking at the map incorrectly doesn’t river of America stretch pretty far back ? Seems like villains lane will intersect with a portion of the Back river right?

Incomudro

My thoughts exactly. Splash Mountain was my favorite ride at Disney World, but I totally understand why it's inappropriate to have a ride based on Song of the South operating in 2024.

I think both Tom Sawyer Island and Rivers of America are very well-themed, and I get why people are sad to see them go, but from a business perspective I think getting rid of them is a no-brainer. Tom Sawyer's island is pretty much dead (NO ONE goes there, so they won't even be able to appreciate the good theming) and Cars will be infinitely more popular for the average guest. And getting rid of the rivers is a necessary sacrifice to improve access to the Villains land, which should be popular.

People are valid in their feelings for losing ROA and Tom Sawyer Island, but I don't think Disney is totally insane for making a decision that makes total business sense. I also think the concept art for the new Cars land is aesthetically pleasing, and if executed well, should address the concerns about losing beautiful scenery.
Everyone who goes to the park "goes there" without stepping foot there.
Your eyes go there, and your mind goes there.

TrainsOfDisney

He also makes a comment that they cannot keep the river because they would need to keep the lock to the lagoon, which is odd because they are keeping the lock, and the river around Big Thunder.
Don’t get me started on “the professor” again! Haha.
Country Bears says a 20th century "Howdy!"
There is nothing in the new show that sets it in the 20th century correct?

Stripes

Premium Member
not at all - from a time perspective nothing had a set time period until Tiana which is still 1920’s correct? Now we are plopping modern cars into the same land.
It’s the same land, but the modern cars will be hidden from the area of Frontierland we can stand in today. You’ll have to go around a bend, so you’ll never see the cars and current Frontierland at the same time.

There’ll be a natural progression of time taking place, going from horse and buggy, to the early cars of the twenties (Tiana’s queue), to the modern cars of today. It’s deepening the American idea of exploring new frontiers, from land to technology.

TrainsOfDisney

Does Tiana, though?
The ride has issues - but it doesn’t cancel out the vibe of the area except for the Tiara which is what it is. It’s not a natural fit, but it can work.

And to be completely fair to Disney - Tiana is a natural fit for Disneyland to bridge New Orleans square and critter / bayou country so the retheme was very logical there.

celluloid

Except DHS got a net gain of 3 new rides on the former area of just 1.

They put attractions and expanded the walkable areas in parts that was formerly non accessible to guests. Backlot was all facades with nothing but a few shops and playground. BLT was a waste of space
In the final years of the area, yes.

Still less to do than years prior and both rides in new area have height requirements.

Entertainment void compared to park previously.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

The ride has issues - but it doesn’t cancel out the vibe of the area except for the Tiara which is what it is. It’s not a natural fit, but it can work.

And to be completely fair to Disney - Tiana is a natural fit for Disneyland to bridge New Orleans square and critter / bayou country so the retheme was very logical there.
The gaps makes you realize this ride was designed for Disneyland. As for what WDW was to get instead seemed interesting thought with everything else having a different theme aside Galaxy's Edge

SpaceMountain77

EPCOT from 2019 through 2024 was a walled experience with construction defining the park experience. I cannot help but wonder if the devotion of Disney Parks fans is great enough to overlook a 10-year construction zone at Magic Kingdom.

We will not stop going to Walt Disney World, but pervasive construction and the subsequent departure from immersion will likely result in few to no visits to Magic Kingdom.

CoasterCowboy67

not at all - from a time perspective nothing had a set time period until Tiana which is still 1920’s correct? Now we are plopping modern cars into the same land.
Georgia, where Splash Mountain and its source film Song of the South is not and never was the Frontier (West). The point is valid that the Cars proposal at least takes place in the Frontier, albeit at a different time, which Splash Mountain did not. Tiana is on the cusp given you could argue the Louisiana Purchase catalyzed the west-ward migration that defined the Frontier

Disstevefan1

EPCOT from 2019 through 2024 was a walled experience with construction defining the park experience. I cannot help but wonder if the devotion of Disney Parks fans is great enough to overlook a 10-year construction zone at Magic Kingdom.

We will not stop going to Walt Disney World, but pervasive construction and the subsequent departure from immersion will likely result in few to no visits to Magic Kingdom.
What made it even worse for the EPCOT work was after all that time and the walls came down how disappointing it was!

We really have no idea what we are going to end up with in the MK after the walls come down 10 or so years from now!

I expect to be disappointed, if I am still alive to see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom