News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

JD80

Attractions go on the chopping block for all sorts of reasons.

The claim I’m responding to is that it’s not a serious argument that HM and PotC could be on the chopping block. As you seem to agree, they already are.

These are two very different statements here, and you seem to be trying to words in my mouth which I don't appreciate.

HM and POTC being on the chopping block is not a serious argument at all, in fact it's laughable.

Bocabear

Adventureland was created at a time that far off jungle locales were still considered exotic, dangerous, and different enough to solicit wonder.

It's not necessarily that YouTube videos replace the experience of going to these places, but that the idea of a far off place being dangerous and exotic ... isn't the case anymore. They are easily accessible in that you can get a fair amount of real information about them in 30 minutes or less.

So why go see a fake version at a Disney park?

That's not even touching on the idea that calling someone else's home exotic for entertainment value isn't really something the kids today will accept at a social level.
So basically any theming or romanticization of any other part of the world is now off the table? Anyplace is exotic to someone who has never been there... and calling someplace exotic is not an insult. So nothing wrong with calling a southeast Asian jungle "exotic"... These are stylized versions of places...Never meant to be literal... but meant to evoke a feeling of time and place. I think kids of today are fine with seeing exotic and different places that don't look like their hometown as setting in a fantasy theme park.....

CoasterCowboy67

This is not arbitrary - it's literally taken from the master planning of the parks themselves. It is you who is focusing on an absolute literal use of the word and chose to ignore it's long accepted use in this context. It's why your comments have caused friction because you are literally using the language in a way foreign to the topic.

The fact Cosmic Rewind needs a bigger building than Energy does not magically make the ride into a 'New Park Expansion' -- there is no practical interpretation of that... yet you alone insist it is.
Well I’m calling out inconsistency and double standard -- I fully expect friction

If many here subscribe to the “expansion has to be labeled ‘expansion plot’ before the expansion takes place for it to count as an expansion” philosophy, I suggest they reconsider and use something with practical significance. The plan is meaningless to guests. If an area previously unlabeled for expansion is now suddenly within the footprint of the park, I guess it skipped the “potential explanation plot” phase and just went directly to “current park boundary” phase. But make no mistake, it is there and guests feel it.

There is no denying that the boundary of Epcot expanded when Cosmic opened. There is no denying that the usable area for guests at Epcot expanded when Cosmic opened. It makes no difference what it was labeled in the past because today, it’s part of the boundary of onstage space which is what practically matters. Anything else is being unnecessarily difficult

Apologies if I had to be the one to burst the bubble

Last edited:

el_super

So basically any theming or romanticization of any other part of the world is now off the table?

You can see how the Jungle Cruise has changed since it opened... en thecent changes for this.

Honestly, even Walt pivoted from True-Life Adventureland to IP land within just 6 years of opening it.

It's just not really a thing now.

AidenRodriguez731

GMR is a weird one - it seemed tailor made for a Great Disney Movie Ride redo.
I will say if it survived just a little bit longer, I think it would have become a Disney100 kinda themed ride where it goes through some of the biggest moments/movies of the last 100 years of Disney. That actually would have been great to see especially if we got both that ride + MMRR

AidenRodriguez731

Look at all the years worth of Merch for HM they never had... Why didn't they do an HM shop decades earlier? It was not until the first Harry Potter and Hogsmeade opened at Universal for them to all of the sudden think...gee why don't we do something like that?
Tom Sawyer's Island could have drawn more people...Heck most everyone I talk to have no idea what was on the island...they didnlt know about the Mystery Mine , the caves, the fort and secret escape tunnel... It is an amazing attraction. Perhaps if Aunt Polly's had decent food and better hours... If there were other shopportunities integrated into the island.... Maybe even a smaller footprint ride or two, that island would have had even more traffic... I think we all thought of it as a place to slow down for a bit....But Disney doesn't want you to do that...
right so you want to replace the slow down place with somewhere with even more traffic? You do understand the logistics NIGHTMARE of having "a ride or two" on an island right? What happens if the ride gets stuck or an emergency happens?

djlaosc

If we are wanting to be pedantic, didn't Avengers Campus open with 5 new attractions?
  • Avengers Assemble!
  • Dr. Strange: Mysteries of the Mystic Arts
  • The Amazing Spider-Man!
  • Warriors of Wakanda: The Disciplines of the Dora Milaje
  • WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
Whether you classify the above ride and 4 shows to be better/worse use of space than the Bug's Land 4 flat-rides, 3D show and 1 splash pad is up to you.

If you are still 1 attraction short, would the picture spot at the sanctum where you are falling in count as a suitable replacement for the splash pad?

But back to Cars...

Incomudro

Adventureland was created at a time that far off jungle locales were still considered exotic, dangerous, and different enough to solicit wonder.

It's not necessarily that YouTube videos replace the experience of going to these places, but that the idea of a far off place being dangerous and exotic ... isn't the case anymore. They are easily accessible in that you can get a fair amount of real information about them in 30 minutes or less.

So why go see a fake version at a Disney park?

That's not even touching on the idea that calling someone else's home exotic for entertainment value isn't really something the kids today will accept at a social level.
Uhhh...
Exotic places are still exotic and potentially dangerous.
Their more easy accessibility doesn't really change that.
Why see a fake version in a Disney Park?
Why ride a Cars ride in a Disney Park when you can just go off roading?
The point of the park and the rides is that they are fun, and a variety of environments can be visited just a stroll away from each other.

Chef idea Mickey`=

But yeah, Disney is 100% focusing on recent, currently hot IP that haven't proven they can stand the test of time. Will Encanto be popular by the time the ride opens? Will people still care about Cars in 20 years?
I'm just surprised of all things Princess and The Frog or Tiana got selected for Splash Mountain. Many say Cars is not a popular Pixar IP but it's definitely more well known nowadays than say Princess and the Frog for a hit..just my opinion.

Quietmouse

Disney is memorable and magical not in spite of the ip attractions but because of the ip attractions.

Would tea cups be just as memorable if it was not themed to mad tea party ?

Schmidt

Exactly, it is. The 5 attractions at Bugs Land closed in 2018, the WEB Slingers D-ticket opened in 2021, and now, in 2024 (…6 years after they closed down 5 attractions) they tell us about the other 2 attractions coming but no date in sight.

And DLR is doing it right with expansions?
HUH? Are you using a Bugs land and multiple parks to make your point?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom