News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Something has to replace Frontierland.
Why? There are popular attractions like TBA and Big thunder, they just updated the country bears and it's not like anyone was complaining about the rivers of America or Tom Sawyer Island before, well and least not a substantial amount of people were.

Quietmouse

Ok but why does it have to go into Frontier land where it doesn't fit at all.

It’s supposed to be a part of a reimagined frontier land as a whole. My best guess is the old time western feel will be replaced with a more modern aesthetic look of how we view the frontier (think Colorado mountain resort town).

The concept art is based off the animated film planes…the whole concept is about piston peak national forest.

You could argue that riding around recreational vehicles and racing in the wilderness is very much in touch with todays concept of “frontier” , especially for those who live in or around a city and don’t have access to land.

Big thunder mountain will also look more natural within the backdrop of a national forest.

el_super

Why? There are popular attractions like TBA and Big thunder, they just updated the country bears and it's not like anyone was complaining about the rivers of America or Tom Sawyer Island before, well and least not a substantial amount of people were.

Things get old and tired and need to be replaced. That's just life. People weren't complaining about it because they didn't care about it at all.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
It’s supposed to be a part of a reimagined frontier land as a whole. My best guess is the old time western feel will be replaced with a more modern aesthetic look of how we view the frontier (think Colorado mountain resort town).

The concept art is based off the animated film planes…the whole concept is about piston peak national forest.

You could argue that riding around recreational vehicles and racing in the wilderness is very much in touch with todays concept of “frontier” , especially for those who live in or around a city and don’t have access to land.

Big thunder mountain will also look more natural within the backdrop of a national forest.
Yes, but then it shouldn't be called frontier land. If you're going to "reimagine" it just call it something else. There's no reason to call it frontier land when that's not what it is anymore. Cars is literally the end of the frontier.

Raineman

may I ask what generation you are in?
I am Gen-X.
What classics are they removing? And I'm speaking more in the classic IP realm, not the non-IP attractions that have been there a long time.
The classics they are starting to remove are the non-IP attractions, which is part of the issue. Disney theme parks used to have that perfect mix of IP and non-IP based attractions. Recently, new attractions have been centered on more recent IP, and now we are starting to see classic attractions-like Roa/TSI-being replaced by attractions with more recent IP. It makes me worried about the future of Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tiki Room, etc.
Something has to replace Frontierland.
Why? Why does it need to be replaced?

Quietmouse

Yes, but then it shouldn't be called frontier land. If you're going to "reimagine" it just call it something else. There's no reason to call it frontier land when that's not what it is anymore. Cars is literally the end of the frontier.

Im guessing the name might change along with the reimagining.

“West land” sounds decent I guess.

But I agree it shouldn’t be called frontier land and I hope imagineering has some better name ideas lol.

el_super

Y’all aren’t ready for this conversation but Silver Dollar City and Dollywood do a better frontier land than Disney.

Knott's has always had a better version of Frontierland and it was right there for Walt to copy from Day 1. There is a roughness to the traditional frontier tropes that is incompatible with Disney. Always has been.

Quietmouse

So, by your logic, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion should be replaced soon too.

Jungle cruise is showing its age rapidly.

It’s the one ride that I think could use an ip attached.

A lion king retheme to jungle cruise with advanced Tokyo Disney/Shanghai ride systems and audio animatronics could really elevate the ride to a new level.

But instead it feels stuck in the past, and the ride feels like going to a flea market and finding something vintage.

el_super

So you're advocating ripping out the heart and soul of MK, and most likely replacing by some Pixar or Disney Junior characters. Wow.

All good things have to come to and end. And certainly this can't be some revelation. How many times have those attractions been changed, re changed and changed back in the last 50 years? Disneyland hasn't had the original Pirates ride since the 1990s. The Jungle Cruise has been completely redone something like four times there. And Haunted Mansion Holiday with Jack Skeligton has always been more popular than the regular show.

Just the way of it.

Raineman

Knott's has always had a better version of Frontierland and it was right there for Walt to copy from Day 1. There is a roughness to the traditional frontier tropes that is incompatible with Disney. Always has been.
Disney wasn't always as fluffy, cuddly and kid-friendly as it is now. Nothing wrong with having some "roughness" in any kind of Disney offering, whether it be film, TV or theme parks.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

I also find it strange how many people (not necessarily you) complain when Disney is slow to act on a popular IP, but when they do act, it's a terrible decision.
Yeah I'm definitely not one of those people, I'm more in the camp of "I prefer things entirely original to the parks because why would I pay $100 to be told the story of a movie I can see at home for free". I like theme parks that give me unique experiences. Tiana's Bayou Adventure is kinda a nice middle ground where it's a new story with new and old characters. Overall I prefer stuff like Pirates, Mansion, CBJ, etc.

Raineman

All good things have to come to and end. And certainly this can't be some revelation. How many times have those attractions been changed, re changed and changed back in the last 50 years? Disneyland hasn't had the original Pirates ride since the 1990s. The Jungle Cruise has been completely redone something like four times there. And Haunted Mansion Holiday with Jack Skeligton has always been more popular than the regular show.

Just the way of it.
Those attractions you mentioned have had some changes, but the changes weren't major, and the attractions still existed and maintained their original vision. Completely gutting or removing an attraction is a whole different thing. And I'm not so sure that you are right about the Nightmare Before Christmas version of HM in DL is more popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom