News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

It is a glaring noisy stinky relic... it has been reduced in size over the years, offers no thematic design or show scenes...and they have already done a completely electric version with at least some set pieces and light theming...The only way I would want it to stay would be to make it electric and make it a fully fleshed out thematic attraction. They should have built a new version of this years ago for EPCOT's World Of Motion Pavilion outside as an additional attraction in a way that would have made some sense...

Chef idea Mickey`=

I’d also be remiss in not pointing out that Villains isn’t going on the RoA plot. It’s Cars that is replacing the RoA - bad faith arguments about operational concerns notwithstanding.
How do we know for sure it's not going there. If it wasn't going then the Cars thing could be moved in the back portion of ROA.

Raineman

So, in the span of less than a month, they've announced they're removing:

• Tom Sawyer's Island (Magic Kingdom)
  • The Liberty Belle Riverboat (Magic Kingdom)
  • The Red Car Trolley (Disney California Adventure)
Anyone noticing a trend with what attractions they seem to be sacrificing? It's all attractions that require little to no wait, have no IP attached, and have no ability to sell Lightning Lane+ or Virtual Queues. The attractions replacing these, Cars and Avengers, will 100% be VQ/LL+. It's all about maximizing profits and removing "free" experiences. Muppet*Vision 3D and the Hall of Presidents are also rumored to be on the chopping block, so it's very clear what Disney is doing.

I miss Eisner.
Another trend that goes hand-in-hand with what you are saying is that these are getting axed because of IP-based attractions-and not just any IP, but exclusively recent IP, ie IP from the last two decades. Even MMRR is based on the newer version of a classic IP (Mickey). It seems Disney is trying to distance itself from anything "classic" and are in the process of phasing "classic" out of the parks. They are focusing more on what the millennial/Gen Y/Gen Z crowd like and want, and not seemingly caring about what the boomer/Gen X crowd want. It's getting to the point that classic attractions that no one would have thought would ever be changed/eliminated could now be in danger of that happening, regardless of how busy they are.

CoasterCowboy67

This has to be the first time I've ever seen someone arguing the value of truck sized carnival rides and actual ground footprint as equals when comparing what will likely be E-ticket attractions. Talk about focusing on all the wrong things and getting absurd conclusions...
Surely you must be in favor of losing a river, boat, and island playground for what will likely be E-ticket attractions in Cars?

I enjoy calling out double standards

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Anyone posting on a Disney fan forum is emotionally attached to the Disney Parks.

The RoA is still extremely important to the design of Frontierland. Although aesthetics aren't objective in the same way mathematics is, they're also not arbitrary and Disney hasn't given much in the way of a reason to think "Cars" will be a tasteful update to Frontierland. That's not to say that such a thing isn't possible.

The impression I get is that Frontierland won't be Frontierland as we know it when this is all done.

Raineman

Speaking as a millennial - this is not what I want, nor other millennial park fans that I know.
I was just talking in generalities-I should have added "most" or "majority" to what I said. Maybe I shouldn't have included millennials in there, but certainly the youngest generations will have less attachment in general that the older generations. People in their teens and early 20s will know what Cars is, but will have little to no knowledge of who Tom Sawyer is or what a steamboat is.

CoasterCowboy67

“Here in Florida we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland: the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we could possibly imagine.”
Totally agree, and anyone who’s been to the FL and CA resorts can easily see how the size difference creates a completely different experience

DL in particular has a huge density issue. Poor guys there have crammed everything they can and the result is a menagerie of mini-lands with little immersion or transition. You got Tarzan’s Treehouse next door to New Orleans and Pooh sitting in the English Countryside Bayou Country

The FL parks breathe way more, and have a way more believable suspension of reality as a result

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I was just talking in generalities-I should have added "most" or "majority" to what I said. Maybe I shouldn't have included millennials in there, but certainly the youngest generations will have less attachment in general that the older generations. People in their teens and early 20s will know what Cars is, but will have little to no knowledge of who Tom Sawyer is or what a steamboat is.
may I ask what generation you are in?

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Another trend that goes hand-in-hand with what you are saying is that these are getting axed because of IP-based attractions-and not just any IP, but exclusively recent IP, ie IP from the last two decades. Even MMRR is based on the newer version of a classic IP (Mickey). It seems Disney is trying to distance itself from anything "classic" and are in the process of phasing "classic" out of the parks. They are focusing more on what the millennial/Gen Y/Gen Z crowd like and want, and not seemingly caring about what the boomer/Gen X crowd want. It's getting to the point that classic attractions that no one would have thought would ever be changed/eliminated could now be in danger of that happening, regardless of how busy they are.
As someone in Gen Z, I can assure you, pretty much all of what my generation likes is considered "classic" at this point. Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, etc (granted most of those were out by the time I was born, the first Disney movie to come out after I was born was Mulan, and the last while I was still in "childhood" was Wreck-it-Ralph). Millennials are even older, they were there for the entire Renassiance and golden era of the parks. The peak Eisner years. If anyone knows how amazing the parks used to be, it's the millennials.

But yeah, Disney is 100% focusing on recent, currently hot IP that haven't proven they can stand the test of time. Will Encanto be popular by the time the ride opens? Will people still care about Cars in 20 years?

bmr1591

What classics are they removing? And I'm speaking more in the classic IP realm, not the non-IP attractions that have been there a long time.

Bocabear

that is already messed up with the New Orlans Specific location separating Big Thunder from Frontierland... Now add a national parks and Pixar franchise and there is no such thing as a Frontierland anymore. Just more IP and out-of-place attractions that make no sense in their locations... Sleeping Beauty in Pandora? Sure! Cinderella in Tomorrowland? Why not? Mulan in the Morocco Pavilion? Perfect fit! It seems these days that there is a plan to smash all the lines of sense and make all of the theme parks a disorganized mass of random IP... you know, like an Amusement park... Why bother with theme or planning? Let's all go on Spaceship Pinocchio at Epcot!

bmr1591

As someone in Gen Z, I can assure you, pretty much all of what my generation likes is considered "classic" at this point. Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, etc. But yeah, Disney is 100% focusing on recent, currently hot IP that haven't proven they can stand the test of time.

Will Encanto be popular by the time the ride opens? Will people still care about Cars in 20 years?

Yes and yes. Cars is 20 years old already and is still beloved by a large portion of guests.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Yes and yes. Cars is 20 years old already and is still beloved by a large portion of guests.
On Encanto- how can you be sure? It's already not nearly as popular as it was when it came out, Moana and Frozen have proven to be much more popular. You got me there with Cars, though with it already being 20, who's to say it'll last another 20? Think of how many highly popular Disney franchises dropped off after a few decades. Pooh isn't nearly as popular as it once was, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, etc etc... even Toy Story is starting to become unpopular in the public eye after Lightyear bombed and Toy Story 5 was announced to nearly entirely negative response.

I think there's a place for "newer" IP, but they should really see if they're able to stand the test of time. How well Moana 2 does will probably dictate if that Moana ride is ever built.

bmr1591

On Encanto- how can you be sure? It's already not nearly as popular as it was when it came out, Moana and Frozen have proven to be much more popular. You got me there with Cars, though with it already being 20, who's to say it'll last another 20? Think of how many highly popular Disney franchises dropped off after a few decades. Pooh isn't nearly as popular as it once was, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, etc etc... even Toy Story is starting to become unpopular in the public eye after Lightyear bombed and Toy Story 5 was announced to nearly entirely negative response.

I think there's a place for "newer" IP, but they should really see if they're able to stand the test of time. How well Moana 2 does will probably dictate if that Moana ride is ever built.

Honestly, kids are born every day and families play Disney+ in their homes so the kids grow up watching the classics and the new stuff. They aren't going to fall out of favor anytime soon.

I also find it strange how many people (not necessarily you) complain when Disney is slow to act on a popular IP, but when they do act, it's a terrible decision.

Schmidt

Anyone posting on a Disney fan forum is emotionally attached to the Disney Parks.

The RoA is still extremely important to the design of Frontierland. Although aesthetics aren't objective in the same way mathematics is, they're also not arbitrary and Disney hasn't given much in the way of a reason to think "Cars" will be a tasteful update to Frontierland. That's not to say that such a thing isn't possible.
What you are describing is NOT what I’m talking about. I also think Disney can easily knock it out of the park if they want too. I think there are recent examples of this in Pandora and YES Starwars land. I don’t subscribe to the idea that Starwars land isn’t amazing. Some of the fans in here only see what they don’t get.

Quietmouse

I think everyone is forgetting that cars came out in 2006. The ip is almost 20 years old.

I would argue that it still holds strong relevancy in todays Disney culture and to me it’s reaching classic status rather rapidly.

I don’t really care for the films, but I understand why the characters work and why this is the princess equivalent for boys.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I think everyone is forgetting that cars came out in 2006. The ip is almost 20 years old.

I would argue that it still holds strong relevancy in todays Disney culture and to me it’s reaching classic status rather rapidly.

I don’t really care for the films, but I understand why the characters work and why this is the princess equivalent for boys.
Ok but why does it have to go into Frontier land where it doesn't fit at all.

TrainsOfDisney

As someone in Gen Z, I can assure you, pretty much all of what my generation likes is considered "classic" at this point.
Thanks - I’m getting tired of being told what millennials and gen z want when that’s not what we actually want! Haha. (From a millennial).
I think there are recent examples of this in Pandora and YES Starwars land. I don’t subscribe to the idea that Starwars land isn’t amazing. Some of the fans in here only see what they don’t get.
I’ve never seen an Avatar movie and have no desire to see one and they knocked Pandora out of the park.

I’ve watched every major Star Wars movie (I skipped Solo) and think Star Wars land is pretty “eh” - I booked a trip to Disneyland to see it right when it opened and was totally disappointed. I’m not sure what is supposed to make it amazing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom