News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

LittleBuford

Even as someone who wants the river to be saved, I don’t think it’s productive to claim that the riverboat is especially popular. There’s no doubt the planned Cars-themed replacement would attract and serve a far higher number of guests. That still doesn’t justify the loss of the river in my opinion.

Disstevefan1

WDW has the blessing of size and chooses to destroy existing attractions instead of actually expanding on undeveloped land that they have plenty of.

Meanwhile Disneyland is ACTUALLY EXPANDING the park with the Disneyland forward.

In my opinion, in FL they put up DVCs super fast, but work in theme parks goes very slow.

In my opinion, the Disneyland forward work will be done before (whatever they are trying to do) in WDW.

Does Iger have motives we don't know about? Its interesting to think about.

James Alucobond

Ridership shouldn't be the issue.
It should be an issue. It is of course an important part of the show in Frontierland and Liberty Square, but if something costs a ton to mechanically maintain as a functioning ride, there should also be an ops-related reason to maintain it. That doesn't mean you have to nix it, but you need to start considering options like having it transport you somewhere more desirable, permanently mooring it, or, yes, even replacing it.

Loose Pebble

WDW has the blessing of size and chooses to destroy existing attractions instead of actually expanding on undeveloped land that they have plenty of.

Meanwhile Disneyland is ACTUALLY EXPANDING the park with the Disneyland forward.

In my opinion, in FL they put up DVCs super fast, but work in theme parks goes very slow.

In my opinion, the Disneyland forward work will be done before (whatever they are trying to do) in WDW.

Does Iger have motives we don't know about? Its interesting to think about.
Could be concerns they wouldn't be able to staff up more attractions by expanding the parks? Especially with Epic Universe, there will be more competition than ever for theme park workers.

EricsBiscuit

It should be an issue. It is of course an important part of the show in Frontierland and Liberty Square, but if something costs a ton to mechanically maintain as a functioning ride, there should also be an ops-related reason to maintain it. That doesn't mean you have to nix it, but you need to start considering options like having it transport you somewhere more desirable, permanently mooring it, or, yes, even replacing it.
Apparently the Liberty Belle’s ridership was strong enough to justify replacing the boiler just a few years ago, along with a myriad of new pumps and other mechanical upgrades and deck work.

TrainsOfDisney

Apparently the Liberty Belle’s ridership was strong enough to justify replacing the boiler just a few years ago, along with a myriad of new pumps and other mechanical upgrades and deck work.
When the boat and trains survived that decision I thought we were safe for a bit. :-(

Now I’m worried about the trains too - anything goes now.

CoasterCowboy67

And that's fine, because these upgrades may pale in comparison to additional and ongoing maintenance work required beyond what was done. And may further pale in comparison to the opportunity cost of using the space for something else

EricsBiscuit

When the boat and trains survived that decision I thought we were safe for a bit. :-(

Now I’m worried about the trains too - anything goes now.
You would think after they have spent millions of dollars refurbishing each of their 4 locomotives since 2016 and replacing much of the track with more permanent synthetic ties, that the WDWRR would be safe. But, given that they are prone to wasting money and knee jerk half baked decisions, nothing is safe anymore.

Why form an emotional attachment to a Disney ride when Disney could replace it at any minute? Pirates? Not safe. HM? Not safe. Etc

Disstevefan1

You would think after they have spent millions of dollars refurbishing each of their 4 locomotives since 2016 and replacing much of the track with more permanent synthetic ties, that the WDWRR would be safe. But, given that they are prone to wasting money and knee jerk half baked decisions, nothing is safe anymore.

Why form an emotional attachment to a Disney ride when Disney could replace it at any minute? Pirates? Not safe. HM? Not safe. Etc
I learned my lesson when we lost the Osborne lights 😭😭😭😭😭😭

EricsBiscuit

And that's fine, because these upgrades may pale in comparison to additional and ongoing maintenance work required beyond what was done. And may further pale in comparison to the opportunity cost of using the space for something else
The boiler is good for decades, they just replaced much of the track. There is not much additional maintenance work that needs to be done. The Liberty Belle is well maintained and in good working order. They clearly (erroneously) see it as an underutilized space.

James Alucobond

Maintenance generally occurs as scheduled regardless of what projects may or may not be coming down the pipeline. We have seen new carpets installed in buildings that were torn down a few months later.

TrainsOfDisney

Maintenance generally occurs as scheduled regardless of what projects may or may not be coming down the pipeline. We have seen new carpets installed in buildings that were torn down a few months later.
This was more than standard maintenance- the Steamboat and Steam Trains were evaluated at the time with lots of really unfortunate options put on the table.

It’s why the Lilly Belle (not to be confused with Liberty Belle!) was gone for so many years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom