News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

I’m not convinced mansion or small world won’t be sacrificed. I don’t really know what they are thinking anymore haha
While I don’t want Small World to die, it kind of should move, IMO. Tangled makes too much sense nestled between its restrooms and the German-named Village Haus. Small World, meanwhile, has plenty of more sensible places it could go. It could replace the Speedway utilizing the white clockwork aesthetic it has sometimes had, it could be puzzled into Storybook Circus by leaning into Blair’s colorful illustrations, or it could somehow be added to EPCOT for thematic purposes.

MerlinTheGoat

A ride for a bygone era.
You and I like those old dark rides. That’s not for Gen z.

Not only did my girls get the meet and greets that they wanted. They got the mine train coaster too. Win win. I mean not for you but almost everyone else.
Saying Gen Z and little girls don't like old dark rides is one of the most obviously hilariously wrong things i've seen posted on here. And that's saying a lot. If your children genuinely do enjoy meeting princesses more than a ride, then I'm going to assure you that they are very much in the minority of that opinion. Which is fine by the way, there have always been people who don't enjoy rides (I had an older cousin growing up who hates them). But it is absolutely not the case of the majority opinion. Gen Z have not shifted this opinion either.

Dark rides generally maintain similar or even significantly longer wait times than princess M&G's, which is telling because even the lowest capacity dark rides are still much higher capacity than M&G's are (multiple times higher). The Fairytale Hall is also a massive waste of that space when a M&G can fit inside a very small area (like Ariel's Grotto).

Tonto

Saying Gen Z and little girls don't like old dark rides is one of the most obviously hilariously wrong things i've seen posted on here. And that's saying a lot. If your children genuinely do enjoy meeting princesses more than a ride, then I'm going to assure you that they are very much in the minority of that opinion. Which is fine by the way, there have always been people who don't enjoy rides (I had an older cousin growing up who hates them). But it is absolutely not the case of the majority opinion. Gen Z have not shifted this opinion either.

Dark rides generally maintain similar or even significantly longer wait times than princess M&G's, which is telling because even the lowest capacity dark rides are still much higher capacity than M&G's are (multiple times higher). The Fairytale Hall is also a massive waste of that space when a M&G can fit inside a very small area (like Ariel's Grotto).

Meet N Greets 10 years ago were insanely popular. Now not so much.

I don’t disagree but M&G’s 10 years ago were insanely popular. Those lines would easily get 2 hrs long. There was a need and the space used was appropriate.

Theme park trends seem to change much quicker than I remember in the past. These M&G’s made a lot of sense then. Now these spaces could probably be repurposed.

Brer Panther

Not only did my girls get the meet and greets that they wanted. They got the mine train coaster too. Win win. I mean not for you but almost everyone else.
The Fairytale Hall is also a massive waste of that space when a M&G can fit inside a very small area (like Ariel's Grotto).
I think they should move the princess meet and greets to the little garden where they had the Merida meet and greet (where Mirabel is meeting now, I think?) and stick a dark ride in the Snow White space again.

MerlinTheGoat

I don’t disagree but M&G’s 10 years ago were insanely popular. Those lines would easily get 2 hrs long. There was a need and the space used was appropriate.

Theme park trends seem to change much quicker than I remember in the past. These M&G’s made a lot of sense then. Now these spaces could probably be repurposed.
The Fairytale Hall had unusually long lines 10 years ago because of two reasons. One is that it was a brand new attraction at that time, opening in 2013. The second reason is that Tangled had released not that long before, and Frozen released like two months later. So there was a fresh batch of high demand princesses that kids wanted to meet. And like I said, factor in their notoriously horrible hourly capacity compared to a dark ride, and it becomes exponentially worse.

Anything that is new is going to be popular when it first comes into existence. Whether it's a movie, ride, song, character, restaurant whatever. However, old Fantasyland dark rides maintain their popularity and stand the test of time more consistently than princess M&G's.

Last edited:

celluloid

This is true, but also Ten Years ago Disney's attendance was growing, offerings of actual attraction venues shuttering and Fastpass use was at an all-time desperate need to fill options for guests keeping three at a time. New Fantasyland was the largest new promoted thing in a long time.

Tonto

The Fairytale Hall had long lines 10 years ago because of two reasons. One is that it was a brand new attraction at that time, opening in 2013. The second reason is that Tangled had released not that long before, and Frozen released like two months later. So there was a fresh batch of high demand princesses that kids wanted to meet.

Anything that is new is going to be popular when it first comes into existence. Whether it's a movie, ride, song, character, restaurant whatever. Even old Fantasyland dark rides have stood the test of time however and maintain consistently high popularity after that initial princess M&G buzz wears off.
Yeah. Meet and Greets on that scale were new and in demand. Like everything else you hit a saturation point.

MK is cursed by management. Keel baits, Admiral Joe Fowler, Skyway, AE, 20k, Toad, SM, and now this. Terrible!
We gotta fight to save the bottom Island! One way you guys could help is by writing to the company on the My Disney Experience website. After you log in, go to the help center and press "email", and then send them a short email stating that we don't want this project to happen. Management does read these, so please write if you care about the ROA!

Tonto

Yes we do know as villians will be on vacant land.

and i am arguing riders per hour. Thats the point. If an attraction falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it

We gotta fight to save the bottom Island! One way you guys could help is by writing to the company on the My Disney Experience website. After you log in, go to the help center and press "email", and then send them a short email stating that we don't want this project to happen. Management does read these, so please write if you care about the ROA!

I’ll send an email, but it’s going to be about moving forward and building these new additions is exactly what newer generations need not nostalgia. I will also mention not to listen to the fanatics.

Can you imagine if Disney listened to the fans about Pandora. We wouldn’t have it.
That was a strong movement. Now those same people call it their favorite attraction.

My point is people don’t know what they want, but they do let fear cloud their judgment.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

I don't really have a horse in the "Disney Adult" race, but a historical correction here: in Walt's day, amusement parks (like seaside piers and boardwalks) were really seedy places mostly meant for adults. The real innovation with Disneyland was creating a place where adults felt it was safe to take their children, by removing most of the carny atmosphere.
Ah, I think I may have conflated that with the carousel story Walt told!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The nostalga brigrade back at it again i see.

Most of them local free loading annual pass holders.
Nice of Jeff Vahle to come speak to the fans on a forum. Mucking it up with the bourgeoisie to better understand the needs of the little people.

I may suggest a better bedside manner next time, but at least the screen name is nice.

There seems to be a lot of overlapping potential closures with HoP, BTMRR, The Riverboat and TSI...and maybe the WDW RR?

Not sure how they plan to handle all of that.
We have Jeff Vahle here to tell us but raise prices on lightning lanes seems like a reasonable answer when capacity shrinks and stand by lines go up. Supply and demand. Win-win for everyone.

seabreezept813

I still think this whole epic universe thing is being blown way out of proportion.

I would argue that if universal was opening up a universal kids park next to studios and island of adventure then that would have a bigger impact on Disney than epic.

Epic is still heavily concentrated on thrills, and rides that aren’t roller coasters are still very much focused on height requirements.

If your a parent with young kids, your main focus is two things: is it worth the cost (are the kids interest in the ip), and do they meet the height requirements?

Nintendo land is huge for epic, but again, the problem is that your still putting a limit toward what age can ride the rides by implementing a height requirement.

We have our kids watch disney movies from a young age, normally we start them on the classics and work our way up. Every 3 year old - 4 year old wants to meet Cinderella, Peter Pan, Alice, and then buzz and woody and so on and so forth. That’s not going to change, nor will the desire to go to disney world.

I am honestly super excited for epic, and can’t wait to visit one day. That being said, epic is still a teenage/adult oriented park. This demographic vs the demographic with the suburban mom with 3 kids who are in pre school is much different. Universal is never going to cater to this demographic and Disney will (probably) never cater to the demographic that universal serves (teen /young adult / adult ).

And guess what? That’s okay. They aren’t direct competitors in my eyes. They serve 2 completely core demographics and they are profitable by excelling at what they excel at.

With that said, stop with the epic nonsense. Of course it will have an immediate impact because people are excited to see a new theme park. It’s a rare thing to see in general in this day and age a new theme park rise, so of course there will be a buzz of excitement that might steal Disney world thunder for a short period of time.

But ultimately the point remains the same. Epic is still very much focused on catering to a demographic that is older. Almost half of the attractions being coasters and the other half having height requirements speak for itself.
I have little ones and it’s a little more tricky than that. Mario is a huge draw. Harry Potter is also kid friendly to an extent. The problem is my kids are ride wimps so our chance of going next year is 50/50. But this is the first time we’ve really thought about it and Disney having nothing new lined up adds to that. We also might go the Cali route for something new. For reference my little ones are 6 and 3.

montyz81

I’m surprised that Marni’s warning earlier in this thread that we’re not done losing beloved attractions didn’t warrant more conversation…

Hall of Pres? Or are they mad enough to do something to Big Thunder? Or something so crazy we can’t even imagine it yet…
I missed it, what was Marni’s warning? I looked but he posts so much it was hard to find.

dmc493

Petition to put these all over the HM queue, (and also Liberty Square and Frontierland) right before they start work
LBR.jpg
ROA.jpg
TSI.jpg

WorldExplorer

I’m surprised that Marni’s warning earlier in this thread that we’re not done losing beloved attractions didn’t warrant more conversation…

Hall of Pres? Or are they mad enough to do something to Big Thunder? Or something so crazy we can’t even imagine it yet…

I'm going with a wild card: killing Electric Water Pageant.

It's definitely not making them any money and I could definitely see them seeing it as outdated because it's not high tech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom