News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

IMO, the sightlines are not the thing to be concerned about here, at least not yet. Yes, you’re losing specific vistas and the original feel of the space, and certain attractions like the Haunted Mansion may end up feeling more poorly sited; however, significant spend is going into making sure the entire area looks finished from all angles, even if you think it’s not as attractive, restful, or intentional-looking. When I think of sightline issues (particularly that impact guest perception of value), I think of the TRON box looming over Storybook Circus, the Cosmic Rewind box dominating the World Discovery skyline, or the poor backstage views of Ratatouille you witness on the skyliner.
so...because Disney has also completely flubbed with the Guardians Show building, the Tron Box and the Ratatouille Show Box it is OK that they are going to build another monstrosity smack in the middle of an established thematic area of the park? Hardly feels like an excuse for it... and yes, this Pacific Far-Western themed Mountain setting will indeed make whatever is left of Frontierland, Liberty Square and the Haunted Mansion all feel poorly sited...While also hemming in these thematic areas forever...So rather than being the lands they were, these areas will now feel like misplaced sets on the way to Carsland... I won't count on a real Villainsland until I see them actually release some artwork the shows something concrete and drawn for location... Phase 2 rarely happens...lol

Beacon Joe

so...because Disney has also completely flubbed with the Guardians Show building, the Tron Box and the Ratatouille Show Box it is OK that they are going to build another monstrosity smack in the middle of an established thematic area of the park? Hardly feels like an excuse for it... and yes, this Pacific Far-Western themed Mountain setting will indeed make whatever is left of Frontierland, Liberty Square and the Haunted Mansion all feel poorly sited...While also hemming in these thematic areas forever...So rather than being the lands they were, these areas will now feel like misplaced sets on the way to Carsland... I won't count on a real Villainsland until I see them actually release some artwork the shows something concrete and drawn for location... Phase 2 rarely happens...lol

What company produces Go Away Green and Blending Blue paint and what's their stock symbol?

Yeah - there’s something to this. The cars expansion looks like something that Herschend would build at Dollywood or Silver Dollar City - which is good. That’s fun.

But Disney used to create an experience that couldn’t be matched anywhere else.
One thing to remember is that Disney and universal are the only major players in amusement/theme parks that have revenue streams other than the parks. This gives them the ability to spend more in theme, design, etc.

I live in Ohio and go to cedar point probably every other year. They will never build/theme a ride or area that I would even consider 10% of the theme of this cars ride or any other Disney ride. The most theming you get is hey let’s give this ride a western name maybe play western queue music and the queue somewhat looks like a barn. That is nothing compared to the mountains and waterfalls and bridges proposed here.

James Alucobond

I think your definition of "monstrosity" is seriously disconnected from reality. It will be highly themed, and from the outside, it looks like the goal is to transition the appearance from Appalachia to Yellowstone, all while hiding the Cars elements from view elsewhere in Liberty Square and Frontierland. The entire purpose of the exterior is to block potentially unfavorable sightlines; this comes at the cost of blocking originally intended sightlines that were once favorable, and it's okay to dislike that. However, I don't think it's fair to say that sightlines aren't being considered here. In fact, that's practically the whole purpose of the trees, streams, and structures replacing the Rivers of America.

That differs fundamentally from exposed show buildings or backstage views that are either unintended or were left alone as "good enough".

Bocabear

A gigantic (and this is a very large structural component) mountain and terrain structure the size of the ROA will pretty much be a monstrosity...lol I was referring more to the size than it looking bad... Though I think a gigantic mountainscape hemming in the whole backside of the park might feel terrible... I am sure it would be landscaped and finished... I would expect them to do that.....It feels very unsettling and odd... Mainly because these areas were designed to open up to the river as their focus. Perhaps adding more structures to complete the thematic areas would help... Like "the other side of the street" in Frontierland... Making Liberty Square a complete Village...not just looking at a village on one side and a mammoth Mountain landscape on the other...

Incomudro

IMO, the sightlines are not the thing to be concerned about here, at least not yet. Yes, you’re losing specific vistas and the original feel of the space, and certain attractions like the Haunted Mansion may end up feeling more poorly sited; however, significant spend is going into making sure the entire area looks finished from all angles, even if you think it’s not as attractive, restful, or intentional-looking. When I think of sightline issues (particularly that impact guest perception of value), I think of the TRON box looming over Storybook Circus, the Cosmic Rewind box dominating the World Discovery skyline, or the poor backstage views of Ratatouille you witness on the skyliner.
I have serious doubts that the forced perspective is going to work.

easyrowrdw

That should be the expectation. But then you cite three recent examples (their most recent additions?) that demonstrate just the opposite. Skepticism seems warranted IMO.

Last edited:

WoundedDreamer

I’m actually quite concerned about the future of the railroad. Every reason that exists for getting rid of the riverboat exists for the railroad and often more. It takes more staff to operate - and much more in maintenance since there are a total of 4 locomotives.
Not an unreasonable concern. I’ve described Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom as the biggest model railroads in the world. Walt was a model railroader, so the influence of that hobby does seem to rub off on the parks. The loss of the railroad would be a terrible blow. Unfortunately, it’s not an absurd idea in this day and age.

James Alucobond

That should be the expectation. But then you site three recent examples (their most recent additions?) that demonstrate just the opposite. Skepticism seems warranted IMO.
I ... don't know what you're trying to say that I haven't already said. I agree that should be the minimum, and I agree that TRON, Cosmic Rewind, and Ratatouille cheapen the look of the resort. It was also clear from the get-go that all three of those would have these problems because they employed giant boxes that even the concept art either didn't try to hide or pretended didn't exist. There's no massive show building in this case, and all angles look to be considered in the art. Could there be a massive budget cut that affects the scope of what they want to do? Sure, but it'll be much more difficult to get away with it in this context.
Making Liberty Square a complete Village...not just looking at a village on one side and a mammoth Mountain landscape on the other...
As I said in the other thread, adding more to the opposite side of Liberty Square would indeed be nice, but you're mostly getting additional trees, not a huge mountainscape. There's one peak behind the trees, while most of the Cars content appears to sit hidden either at or below the elevation of Liberty Square and Frontierland, some of it in the depression that originally contained the Rivers.

Cliff

You listed some very good theme park technical disign points. Yes, these are valid points but I just don't think that Imagineering in 2024 gives a darn about ANY of that language today.

You are speaking greek to these people. They don't think that way anymore.

easyrowrdw

I ... don't know what you're trying to say that I haven't already said. I agree that should be the minimum, and I agree that TRON, Cosmic Rewind, and Ratatouille cheapen the look of the resort. It was also clear from the get-go that all three of those would have these problems because they employed giant boxes that even the concept art either didn't try to hide or pretended didn't exist. There's no massive show building in this case, and all angles look to be considered in the art. Could there be a massive budget cut that affects the scope of what they want to do? Sure, but it'll be much more difficult to get away with it in this context.
I interpreted your post to be saying that they're going to spend a lot of money to make it look good. However, recent history indicates that they haven't done that. Heck, even the views of Galaxy's Edge from Slinky are bad, not to mention outside the park. So, I think it's reasonable to be skeptical that Disney will get this right. If you were expressing that same skepticism, then I agree.

I think your last point is a good distinguishing factor, though. It's smack in the middle of things so maybe that'll force their hand. Then again, the concept art wasn't even based on Disney World so who knows what we'll actually get.

James Alucobond

I interpreted your post to be saying that they're going to spend a lot of money to make it look good. However, recent history indicates that they haven't done that. Heck, even the views of Galaxy's Edge from Slinky are bad, not to mention outside the park. So, I think it's reasonable to be skeptical that Disney will get this right.

I think your last point is a good distinguishing factor, though. It's smack in the middle of things so maybe that'll force their hand. Then again, the concept art wasn't even based on Disney World so who knows what we'll actually get.
It is also not a multistory building, which is a more exceptional challenge to theme. Most of this attraction is already outside. The only significant "buildings" are the Old Faithful Lodge-esque structure that forms the main queue and whatever the covering is for the junior attraction.

Bocabear

The image I saw looked like the terrain changes were all the way up to the current river edge... I need to see of I can find some better images...but just a bunch of trees where the riverboat and river once were would look pretty dead end too...

TrainsOfDisney

I live in Ohio and go to cedar point probably every other year. They will never build/theme a ride or area that I would even consider 10% of the theme of this cars ride or any other Disney ride.
Well there’s a reason I used Herschend parks as an example and not Cedar Point.
Walt was a model railroader, so the influence of that hobby does seem to rub off on the parks.
Indeed - Disneyland was born out of the desire to operate the miniature train at the studio for the public…. Plans grew from there.

If you ever get the chance to read Walts Railroad Story by Michael Broggie - it’s fascinating! There’s quite a few photos from the Lillian Disney family collection that are not released anywhere else.

James Alucobond

The image I saw looked like the terrain changes were all the way up to the current river edge... I need to see of I can find some better images...but just a bunch of trees where the riverboat and river once were would look pretty dead end too...
That’s accurate on the east bank. If you look in the bottom left corner of the image, you can see the boardwalk in front of the Diamond Horseshoe still intact, with water running under it that flows down from the peak. Whether it will be built as shown and the physical extent of it remains to be seen, but a few sources have said significant water features remain. Hopefully we’ll get art from different angles at some point.

JD80

I interpreted your post to be saying that they're going to spend a lot of money to make it look good. However, recent history indicates that they haven't done that. Heck, even the views of Galaxy's Edge from Slinky are bad, not to mention outside the park. So, I think it's reasonable to be skeptical that Disney will get this right. If you were expressing that same skepticism, then I agree.

Every park has some spots with some issues with seeing backstage. TBA, Tree House, the old gondolas in MK etc.

JD80

That’s accurate on the east bank. If you look in the bottom left corner of the image, you can see the boardwalk in front of the Diamond Horseshoe still intact, with water running under it that flows down from the peak. Whether it will be built as shown and the physical extent of it remains to be seen, but a few sources have said significant water features remain. Hopefully we’ll get art from different angles at some point.

There's a giant waterfall in all the concept art. That's pretty significant.

I think a lot of people are underplaying the "scenery" of this new addition. If they do it right, and I think they will, it'll look wonderful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom