News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

October82

This Cars proposal doesn’t have a good recent expansion analogy. Unlike other park additions, guests will be able to completely walk around it 360, so they have to put extra effort into making it look good from all angles. They can’t build half a mountain like Everest nor do we need to be so pessimistic so as to expect they’d build that.

Ratatouille from inside the park isn’t visible, and Guardians / Tron though not ideal are more futuristic looking rides that can get away with it. Yes they’re ugly, but I don’t find them that problematic as I would a similar looking show building in the middle of the wilderness. There is no way they do that
My read of the concept art is a fairly small show building with rock work facing on-stage areas and primarily landscaping doing most of the remaining thematic work. I suspect many people are imaging a much more significant structure than will actually materialize. This is a D-ticket level investment. This is not The Cadillac Range in DCA or Mt Prometheus at TDS. The most optimistic case is something like Grizzly Peak, but that benefits from a much cheaper structure than would be required here.

In that sense, 7DMT is my best point of comparison.

Beacon Joe

Who wants to take bets that corporate will slap a couple of these bad boys around the new land, and some WDI flunky will wax poetic in a Youtube video about Walt's love of off-roading?

walt jeep 1.jpg

walt jeep.jpg

James Alucobond

Which would be great if “various regions of America” was the organizing design principle of Frontierland. Ironically, that’s more true of Disneyland - which doesn’t have a well defined and well publicized design principle.
It wasn’t the core principle, but the attractions always leapt from New York to Pennsylvania to Tennessee to Missouri to Utah, and later Georgia. Replacing Missouri with Wyoming and some Kentucky/Virginia buffer doesn’t necessarily make it immediately incoherent or unsolvable.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t know, if your example of a park building rides just as immersive and themed as Disney, I don’t see it, but never been just pictures and videos online.
Fire Chaser express at Dollywood beats out slinky dog any day for theming, storytelling, and practical effects. They are both very fun family coasters, but one cost a lot less.

If you go to Rise, Avatar, and Harry Potter - we are talking a different level still.

Quietmouse

Today, on TikTok, a few Disney vloggers were interpreting a tweet/X post and sharing that WDI may be revising the Cars concept in response to unexpected negative feedback from unofficial, Disney-friendly media sites and fans. Is this wishful thinking or has the social media response been noticed and is leading to a second look?

Can you share the tweet?

I highly doubt they would change their mind. My best guess if the economy turns south the project will be canceled along with villains lane …which would suck tbh.

Fire Chaser express at Dollywood beats out slinky dog any day for theming, storytelling, and practical effects. They are both very fun family coasters, but one cost a lot less.

If you go to Rise, Avatar, and Harry Potter - we are talking a different level still.
Understand what you are getting at now. Agreed, I do love slinky but a theme of overgrown backyard is lacking. Shoot cedar point could do that ;)

I just think this will be a step up from that yet not Rise level of immersion. I’m hoping for natural beauty in this ride which I think they can knock that put of the park. I’m thinking avatar level beauty but national parks. Who knows maybe I’ll be disappointed but they know they need to keep the beauty when replacing TSI and ROA.

KDM31091

Today, on TikTok, a few Disney vloggers were interpreting a tweet/X post and sharing that WDI may be revising the Cars concept in response to unexpected negative feedback from unofficial, Disney-friendly media sites and fans. Is this wishful thinking or has the social media response been noticed and is leading to a second look?
The backlash has been extreme. Hopefully they will at least amend the plans to include a small section of river with a docked boat. Or maybe the whole thing just gets cancelled, who knows.

JSouth25

Of course! Please find it below:

View attachment 810640

Again, some Disney TikTok vloggers are sharing it and stating it tracks with their understanding.
I hope this is the case. I live on the west coast and have only been to Disneyland, but this news still really bothered me that they’d rip out such a quintessential area of a Disney castle park. Hopefully, they go back to the drawing board and either scrap it or think of a way to salvage the river and also accommodate the new lands, kinda like how they rerouted the RoA to make room for Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland.

ednamodedarling

The backlash has been extreme. Hopefully they will at least amend the plans to include a small section of river with a docked boat. Or maybe the whole thing just gets cancelled, who knows.
sigh ... I would be very upset if they just cancel the whole thing. Something tells me they know it would be even worse to go back on their promise of upcoming projects. If anything they will save part of the river. If not they will move forward with the current plan. Truly don't understand why they can't find a solution similar to Disneyland's with Galaxy's Edge.

James Alucobond

Good. Keep a sliver of the River, keep the boat and dock it, turn it into a restaurant/live music venue and use the rest of the land for cars.

I think that would be a good trade off, if one had to be made.
Color me dubious to begin with, but if they do something else, it’s not going to be a slight trade off. It’s going to be something significantly less ambitious.

In my mind, it’s all or nothing with this project which also could mean villains impact. The company would not have such strong wording in the announcement and then release further very specific details 2 days later to then be scared by posts on a forum. If they did then they shouldn’t be running the company (which many of you think should be the case anyway). But what is the alternative? Leadership so afraid of online posts that they never do anything to grow or evolve the parks? And then what we come on here and complain they never do anything to grow and all these other parks are catch up to them?

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Bob Iger was in the room - the cars announcement got no reaction. Even if I’m 100% sure of a product if 12,000 people don’t react at all to a major announcement I’m at least going to have a meeting and question the project.

Especially when all other announcements except the Walt AA got very good reactions.
It got plenty of reaction. Positive initial reaction then the realization of where it was going set in and the crowd turned. It was a weird low point for sure. Between the "Nooooo!" scream and then the hushing of the crowd as Josh struggled to hype it up (wondering now if even he is against it) it was clearly a struggle for all. That said, I'd be shocked if they walk this back.

They'll either press forward or scale the attraction down but I don't anticipate a reversal. I don't doubt they're being bombarded with feedback.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom