News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

haveyoumetmark

So does anyone think they'll attempt to explain why there are modern all-terrain vehicles next to a bayou from the 1920's sitting next to a town from the 19th century? Or is it just a given that Disney has given up on making things make sense?
Only after they explain why there’s a fairy tale castle at the end of an early 20th century American small town street…. And why there are flying magic carpets in the middle of a remote jungle… and why there’s a noisy and smelly gas-powered raceway in the future where cars go 7 mph…. I can go on and on and on.

Sir_Cliff

Only after they explain why there’s a fairy tale castle at the end of an early 20th century American small town street…. And why there are flying magic carpets in the middle of a remote jungle… and why there’s a noisy and smelly gas-powered raceway in the future where cars go 7 mph…. I can go on and on and on.
Now that this has come up twice, has anyone ever argued that the carpets were anything other than a thematic disaster for very little (if any) benefit? It's also a particularly strange one to bring up, as it's not exactly like Walt decreed an Aladdin Dumbo clone for Adventureland at the MK.

The Tomorrowland Speedway is also an odd one to bring up as I think it's the attraction that people most often mention they'd be happy to see replaced. Yet, that survives while Frontierland becomes, ironically, Carsland.

haveyoumetmark

The hypocrisy is ironic. The committee obviously exists.
Yeah it’s their characterization and perceived influence that are questionable. This “committee” is far and away the biggest boogeyman around here…

The disdain seems wildly misplaced by people who just need someone to blame. It appears to me like Disney is just trying to do right by their customers and cast members, while being responsible with their power and evolving their product to meet modern standards.

sndral

Echo Lake, really?? It’s a retention pond. MK will have more water than Echo Lake when all is said and done, and that’s not including the castle moat and Jungle Cruise. People are reaching so far to tear this decision down.
WDW is built on a swamp, having water isn’t the issue, good design is the issue, specifically using expanses of water as part of an overall park design & the fact that the current group at Disney doesn’t inspire confidence that they’re capable of designing & executing a decent large scale redesign.

haveyoumetmark

Now that this has come up twice, has anyone ever argued that the carpets were anything other than a thematic disaster for very little (if any) benefit? It's also a particularly strange one to bring up, as it's not exactly like Walt decreed an Aladdin Dumbo clone for Adventureland at the MK.

The Tomorrowland Speedway is also an odd one to bring up as I think it's the attraction that people most often mention they'd be happy to see replaced. Yet, that survives while Frontierland becomes, ironically, Carsland.
Well it doesn’t change what exists and has been the case for decades. Themes are directional and expansive. This has always been the case for Magic Kingdom. People’s understanding of theming can be far too literal and rigid, and thus restrictive for a park at the scale and success of Magic Kingdom.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Yeah it’s their characterization and perceived influence that are questionable. This “committee” is far and away the biggest boogeyman around here…
I agree here. As I’ve stated over multiple threads I don’t think this has much (if anything) to do with the “committee” in question, unless it’s a financial committee. This decision is seemingly specific to the way the WDW business model is structured.

The disdain seems wildly misplaced by people who just need someone to blame. It appears to me like Disney is just trying to do right by their customers and cast members, while being responsible with their power and evolving their product to meet modern standards.
The blame should rest with TDO and the execs since likely the primary motive here is likely a financial not an altruistic one, to replace aging and under-maintained attractions over regularly upgrading them and simultaneously expanding the footprint of the parks.

We’re seeing the same “addition by subtraction” happen at AK and DHS too as a way to maintain artificial scarcity and regularly rotate in new IP-laden attractions as a means of revenue maximization. Contrast this to the physical land expansions at other international Disney parks and the original Disneyland.

Though I have no doubt Cars will be hugely popular with the general public, it’s clear that pure park expansion - in terms of added acreage - would ultimately be in the best interest of both cast members (increasing the size of the labor force) and customers (by increasing the overall value of the product).

Tha Realest

What “problematic” attraction or experience purportedly targeted by them hasn’t been materially changed?

Why do some attractions and parts of attractions languish, while these problematic aspects get “plussed up”?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom