News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

trainplane3

Fake news!!! I was told the pirate ship never actually runs!

Also… it’s very selfish of anyone to ride those rides - they are the reason the cost of admission is so high!

Sorry haha 🙈
I know you're joking but the Columbia is running today.
Meanwhile, at Disneyland... :rolleyes:

It's a shock how busy it really is. Today the both boats were pretty busy and rafts were packed. As a first time DL'er, it's so awesome to all of that.

erasure fan1

MK, being the most visited theme park on the planet, has to expand its capacity in order to ensure a decent guest experience for future generations.
There's one big problem with expanding the magic kingdom. Unless they are going to do a whole heck of a lot more than villains and cars, you're not really helping. New stuff will bring more people in. The biggest relief for the magic kingdom, Is the 3 other parks to be full. They need to draw people away from the magic kingdom, not bring them to it. The magic kingdom will always be the flagship park and need to be the biggest. But it's so far ahead of all the other parks right now, it's not even funny. That's why I think cars should be for a different park. The studios and animal kingdom have much more of a need.

Stripes

Premium Member
There's one big problem with expanding the magic kingdom. Unless they are going to do a whole heck of a lot more than villains and cars, you're not really helping. New stuff will bring more people in. The biggest relief for the magic kingdom, Is the 3 other parks to be full. They need to draw people away from the magic kingdom, not bring them to it. The magic kingdom will always be the flagship park and need to be the biggest. But it's so far ahead of all the other parks right now, it's not even funny. That's why I think cars should be for a different park. The studios and animal kingdom have much more of a need.
Mmm…I think expansions at other WDW parks probably strain MK more at this point than an MK capacity expansion.

Nobody skips MK. So if they book a trip to go see Encanto at DAK, they’re gonna go to MK too, but unlike DAK, MK hasn’t expanded its capacity thereby making it feel more crowded.

James Alucobond

Nobody skips MK. So if they book a trip to go see Encanto at DAK, they’re gonna go to MK too, but unlike DAK, MK hasn’t expanded its capacity thereby making it feel more crowded.
MK also has entertainment must-sees like Happily Ever After that make capacity even worse because everyone wants to squeeze into one land at once. Here's hoping Villains tries doing the Galaxy's Edge thing with an alternate evil version of the show projected onto Maleficent's castle.

Stripes

Premium Member
MK also has entertainment must-sees like Happily Ever After that make capacity even worse because everyone wants to squeeze into one land at once. Here's hoping Villains tries doing the Galaxy's Edge thing with an alternate evil version of the show projected onto Maleficent's castle.
Given its location, it would be perfect for viewing the fireworks!

TP2000

InAs someone that lives in the PNW, I’m very excited to see that region of our country represented in the parks for the first time.

Good news! Disneyland already represents the Great Pacific Northwest, and has for many decades.

The Sailing Ship Columbia, one of the "hard facts that created America" from Walt's opening day speech made its fame from the multiple daring exploration and trading trips to the Pacific Northwest, en route from Boston to the Orient and then on to Europe and back to Boston. It was on its second exploration of what is now coastal Oregon in 1792 that Captain Gray sailed the Columbia over a sandbar and discovered a mighty river that travelled hundreds of miles inland. That river now bears the name of his ship, and the Disneyland attraction; the Columbia River.

The Columbia flagship, with its two smaller companion ships, was the first vessel to circle the globe flying the American flag in 1787-1790, long before our nation had a Navy, and that's why Admiral Fowler suggested it to Walt when Walt and Dick Nunis were wanting a second big boat for Disneyland's river in 1957. The Columbia was added to Disneyland in 1958.

PA010029-1000x1500-58f64da93df78ca159f46fd8.jpg

During the big 2016-17 rehab the Rivers of America received, they plussed up the pre-existing "four rivers" show concept that Tony Baxter created earlier in the 2000's. As part of that work, a segment of the Rivers of America now uses the extremely unique hexagonal basalt rock formations found only along the Columbia River, a geographic marvel created by the massive floods that swept across the Pacific Northwest at the end of the last Ice Age.

The hexagon rocks beneath the Indian Chief were created by WDI to mimick the same rocks along the Columbia River basin; one of those things you can only find in the Pacific Northwest, or at Disneyland! There's a few other Pacific Northwest callouts in Disneyland, but those are the two off the top of my head without going to Google, and just before the Friday Cocktail Hour begins. 🍸🥳 I'll see if I can remember some more.

But it's almost 6pm here in San Diego, so in about half an hour I will raise my Friday martini to you and the other Disneyland fans from the Great Pacific Northwest! Don't worry, Walt and WDI didn't forget about us!

Rivers-of-America-07_2017_DL.019.jpg

Who do we think did hexagonal basalt from the Columbia basin best? WDI as seen above, or Mother Nature as seen below?

2014spring-basalt9.jpg

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Yes, I do agree to a point. But here's my issue. Why do they go see Encanto or monsters inc. then go to the magic kingdom? If they're like my family, there's just not enough to do in in either park. I'm not saying MK doesn't need more capacity, it most certainly does. But you have to get people like me, to not always end up in the magic kingdom. I know we can't be the only ones who have that problem.

RosR9

I’m not trying to invalidate your feelings, but I don't think it’s a "flashy" IP anymore. I’m Gen Z, and Cars definitely gives me nostalgia; it takes me back to my childhood. It’s not really a new product—it’s almost 20 years old. I don't agree with its placement, but I think a lot of people from my generation are going to feel pretty nostalgic about it.
I agree with this! I’m almost 30 and Cars is very nostalgic for me and yet my 5 year old nephew also LOVES it

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes, I do agree to a point. But here's my issue. Why do they go see Encanto or monsters inc. then go to the magic kingdom? If they're like my family, there's just not enough to do in in either park. I'm not saying MK doesn't need more capacity, it most certainly does. But you have to get people like me, to not always end up in the magic kingdom. I know we can't be the only ones who have that problem.
Typically, if we’re running out of things to do at another park, we don’t park hop to MK. Honestly, right now, MK is at the bottom of my family’s list. But we still go every trip because it’s the quintessential Disney park. You just can’t skip it.

But that’s just my family. I’m sure other families and folks have different perspectives. I’m glad MK is getting an expansion that will hopefully make it a more worthwhile park for my family to visit.

phillip9698

Growing up the Disney Parks were built on nostalgia. All of that was pushed to way side for flashy IP. It's really sad how Iger and friends view the parks.

At least the Japanese parks understand that still.

The thing about nostalgia is that it changes as generations go by. Inside Out 2 rode the nostalgia wave of people who saw the original when they were in their teens. Soon there won’t be people left who are nostalgic for properties like Tom Sawyer, Muppets, etc….. I’m well into my 40s and the frontier was way beyond my time when I was a kid, I have no warm fuzzy feelings about any of that stuff. I’m planning a trip to a Nick resort so we can get slimed and see the Ninja Turtles, that’s nostalgic for me!

Cars, Lion King, Monsters Inc, etc…… that’s how you real in the families pining for a sniff of their childhood now. Hell I’m still waiting on a proper Aladdin ride!!!!

Last edited:

erasure fan1

But that’s just my family. I’m sure other families and folks have different perspectives. I’m glad MK is getting an expansion that will hopefully make it a more worthwhile park for my family to visit.
Oh I'm glad too. I'm just worried the other parks aren't expanding enough and we're going to be in the same issue we've been in for the last couple decades. But I guess that's the bigger issue. They've neglected all 4 parks SOOOOOOOO much, they now need a 5th gate worth of attractions added to the parks on top of what is already there. And we all know that's not happening anytime soon.

JoeCamel

Good news! Disneyland already represents the Great Pacific Northwest, and has for many decades.

The Sailing Ship Columbia, one of the "hard facts that created America" from Walt's opening day speech made its fame from the multiple daring exploration and trading trips to the Pacific Northwest, en route from Boston to the Orient and then on to Europe and back to Boston. It was on its second exploration of what is now coastal Oregon in 1792 that Captain Gray sailed the Columbia over a sandbar and discovered a mighty river that travelled hundreds of miles inland. That river now bears the name of his ship, and the Disneyland attraction; the Columbia River.

The Columbia flagship, with its two smaller companion ships, was the first vessel to circle the globe flying the American flag in 1787-1790, long before our nation had a Navy, and that's why Admiral Fowler suggested it to Walt when Walt and Dick Nunis were wanting a second big boat for Disneyland's river in 1957. The Columbia was added to Disneyland in 1958.

PA010029-1000x1500-58f64da93df78ca159f46fd8.jpg

During the big 2016-17 rehab the Rivers of America received, they plussed up the pre-existing "four rivers" show concept that Tony Baxter created earlier in the 2000's. As part of that work, a segment of the Rivers of America now uses the extremely unique hexagonal basalt rock formations found only along the Columbia River, a geographic marvel created by the massive floods that swept across the Pacific Northwest at the end of the last Ice Age.

The hexagon rocks beneath the Indian Chief were created by WDI to mimick the same rocks along the Columbia River basin; one of those things you can only find in the Pacific Northwest, or at Disneyland! There's a few other Pacific Northwest callouts in Disneyland, but those are the two off the top of my head without going to Google, and just before the Friday Cocktail Hour begins. 🍸🥳 I'll see if I can remember some more.

But it's almost 6pm here in San Diego, so in about half an hour I will raise my Friday martini to you and the other Disneyland fans from the Great Pacific Northwest! Don't worry, Walt and WDI didn't forget about us!

Rivers-of-America-07_2017_DL.019.jpg

Who do we think did hexagonal basalt from the Columbia basin best? WDI as seen above, or Mother Nature as seen below?

2014spring-basalt9.jpg
These

post.jpg

Or if you expand the world then here

steps.jpg

Dizknee_Phreek

You just can’t skip it.
You can. My husband and I skip it regularly. But Epcot is a must every trip, and sometimes it's the only park we do. MK is too crowded and it's a pain of a park to deal with. And that's without the stuff they're planning to add.
Now...I know we're the outliers and I do totally get your point. For most regular folks MK *is* Disney. But you absolutely can skip it and there are people who do.

lazyboy97o

MK, being the most visited theme park on the planet, has to expand its capacity in order to ensure a decent guest experience for future generations. It has to make sacrifices that other parks don’t have to make.
A smaller Disneyland crams in more capacity. It hasn’t properly expanded or been managed and even has abandoned space within its borders. This isn’t about some strenuous unique challenges, it’s a statement piece that’s been kicked around forever.

lazyboy97o

Mmm…I think expansions at other WDW parks probably strain MK more at this point than an MK capacity expansion.

All the more reason to have readily available capacity expanded and not induce even more demand. The Magic Kingdom needs A - C tickets.

DarkMetroid567

A smaller Disneyland crams in more capacity. It hasn’t properly expanded or been managed and even has abandoned space within its borders. This isn’t about some strenuous unique challenges, it’s a statement piece that’s been kicked around forever.
Once went to Disneyland on an at-capacity day in 2019 and it was one of my worst theme park experiences ever.

Project Stardust only made marginal improvements but it did make improvements

BuzzedPotatoHead89

So because it’s “not as aesthetically pleasing” as Disneyland’s, that means it has to go? If Disney wanted to save the river, they could. Aren’t the imagineers supposed to be the best in the business? Are we really supposed to believe they couldn’t come up with some sort of solution, even to preserve the front part of the river along the walkway?
In fairness I really don’t think this is on the Imagineers. They’re being dealt a hand from execs that is a corporate mandate that says ROA is a proverbial money suck that needs to go. If Jeff Vahle, Josh D’Amaro and TDO leadership views WDW guests as walking semi-sentient ATM machines, ROA is the virus in his mind that freezes the money flow for 1-2 hours everyday and needlessly diverts the constant flow of cash.

So the imagineers trying to make the best of it. And make something that’s still true to the area while also producing “revenue positive” impact. That’s the mandate

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom