News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Disney Analyst

For Villains Land? That’s not going to be open in 5 years - they may start building it in 5 years haha.

This is the slate of projects over the next 5 years, although I don’t know if that means they’ll all open in that 5 years? I guess if they started villains in 2025 or 2026 it could open by 2027-2028? Unless we think it more than a 2 year build… maybe 2029
Opening?

GenChi

Since it seems people are placing a franchise's relevancy on revenue generated. If we're going by the Wikipedia stats that have been posted by a few here. Pokemon kicks the snot out of ANYTHING Disney. Even Mickey is about 40bil away. So for everyone who seems to discount epic, and it won't impact Disney. If we're talking about relevancy based on dollars earned, hold on to your butts because Pokemon is the king. I know it's not going to epic, but it's part of the Nintendo expansions. And it will disrupt Disney.

This is the one that scares them, and the one thing they need to realize while they plan these projects. They can't out-IP Pokemon and Mario in scale. The former is the biggest media series on the planet after only 25 years and no singular thing they have is as strong, even if they had unrestricted Marvel rights which they don't. And they might also throw out Zelda or a number of other massive IP they own, really Nintendo could make their own resort themselves and go toe to toe but Universal then has even more.

Disney obviously has massive IP, and more IP overall, and they are going to need to use it against Nintendo. So I get why Cars is coming here. But they also need to consider that their strength is the image of impeccable theming, that it's considered the best themed resorts in the world, and that the vibes are happy. All far more then Universal. The more they neglect the parks, the more theming is considered less important, the more they cut, the more stressful and pricey it gets the more the public will see that image decline and make Disney vs Universal solely a battle of which IP is more enticing to a potential guest. And if they are going against Mario and Pokemon Disney is losing that battle.

UNCgolf

Epcot is too big for the number of attractions. Every country should have something.

I definitely agree that they need more attractions in the World Showcase, but it's also an issue that they've dramatically cut back on what there is to do in the former Future World. In the past most of the pavilions had several activities etc. beyond just the main ride, but now that's basically only the Seas and the Land. The rides themselves are also generally much shorter than what previously existed, which also has an effect, albeit a smaller one. They've reduced capacity over the years.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

This is the slate of projects over the next 5 years, although I don’t know if that means they’ll all open in that 5 years? I guess if they started villains in 2025 or 2026 it could open by 2027-2028? Unless we think it more than a 2 year build… maybe 2029
Opening?
they are starting DAK this fall and it opens in 2027. The physical ride system and show building are already in place. The restaurant is already in place. And the area for the most likely simple dark ride and carousel is flat and has housed attractions before.

From what we’ve heard (obviously nobody knows for sure) Villians is still pretty much blue sky - cleared for landing and on approach but still in the sky. With all the work they have to do and seeing how Epcot went I don’t expect cars to be opening until 2029.

DAK 2027 ( this one we know)
Monsters 2028
Cars 2029

That’s my guess.

RobbinsDad

they are starting DAK this fall and it opens in 2027. The physical ride system and show building are already in place. The restaurant is already in place. And the area for the most likely simple dark ride and carousel is flat and has housed attractions before.

From what we’ve heard (obviously nobody knows for sure) Villians is still pretty much blue sky - cleared for landing and on approach but still in the sky. With all the work they have to do and seeing how Epcot went I don’t expect cars to be opening until 2029.

DAK 2027 ( this one we know)
Monsters 2028
Cars 2029

That’s my guess.
I’d also push Monsters to 29. That’s a lot of demo work to do, no matter where it goes.

BrianLo

Anyone else concerned this ride won’t have a significant dark ride portion? It’s such a key part of what makes RSR work, but the art makes it looks like this is almost entirely outdoors.

IMG_9385.jpeg

This is the track I can see to the best of my ability. There appears to be a non insignificant amount of tunnels and the bottom right portion of the ride is traveling below grade a few times. What I find a bit puzzling is that there doesn’t seem to be any infrastructure to the piston mountain. It’s not covering a show building. But I guess Grizzly Gulch is the same.

I think this will have a better outdoor and a worse dark ride than RSR. Probably the better point of comparison might oddly be Hagrid’s coaster, big thunder and grizzly gulch? I don’t think on spec it looks like it will be received worse by the general public, but it’s going to be a very different vibe than RSR, which will certainly work against its perception around here.

The Chatbox Ghost

Cars land could be a great replacement for Tom Sawyer island if they make the surroundings realistic and not like a cartoon but I think the river has to stay, they could make a bridge to cars land. Not only does that river make the area it would also greatly benefit cars land.
The area NEEDS the river at the very least. I can live without TSI. But that water adds so much to the park you can’t make up for with a thrill ride. I hope they also make the geography more realistic- seeing a piston shaped mountain while standing in the Wild West street would be bizarre.

TomboyJanet

What I am sensing is a lot of people dislike the modern capitalistic society we find ourselves in, and I am waiting for someone to share the path onto a new and better system for us all.
We need capicomusocialanarchoism where we take the best ideas and leave the rest! but in all seriousness they have come up with some good ideas recently like the avatar and coco things even hinting the avatar ride will finally have what new rides are missing ....a plot! God forbid! But I knew they just had to ruin something in the wake it's like yes yes!!!! Àaaaand nooooo

PizzaPlanet

View attachment 809175

This is the track I can see to the best of my ability. There appears to be a non insignificant amount of tunnels and the bottom right portion of the ride is traveling below grade a few times. What I find a bit puzzling is that there doesn’t seem to be any infrastructure to the piston mountain. It’s not covering a show building. But I guess Grizzly Gulch is the same.

I think this will have a better outdoor and a worse dark ride than RSR. Probably the better point of comparison might oddly be Hagrid’s coaster, big thunder and grizzly gulch? I don’t think on spec it looks like it will be received worse by the general public, but it’s going to be a very different vibe than RSR, which will certainly work against its perception around here.
Well hopefully they can still find a number of places to put AAs. If the budget’s runs low at least they have one at DHS to start with lol

WDW1995

View attachment 809175

I think you're including the flat ride in your layout (top right where you have the blue loop going through)

BrianLo

I think you're including the flat ride in your layout (top right where you have the blue loop going through)

I thought so too, but they have two cars racing on a bridge there in the upper right corner. It gets confusing back there because I think they are below grade (behind the flat ride) . The flat ride seems only approached internally from the plaza that also leads to the ride entrance. Which from a design perspective, wouldn’t really make sense unless the ride track was again cutting it off.

And if you look at the upper left of my blue loop, you can make out another set of cars racing through a geyser scene. Meanwhile the finish line is approached from that gulley.

IMG_9516.jpeg

But you are right the top of the loop is odd. I was trying to trace the cars below and behind what Looks like stands rather than actually on top of that ridge line.

Edit - this is probably a bit better drawn. Doing this on my phone haphazardly.

IMG_9385.jpeg

Last edited:

psherman42

If epic universe drives attendance away from Disney then will have to expedite construction imo.
And this is one of the things that terrifies me. If attendance drops because of EU, revenue likely drops too. That’ll lead to budget cuts and this project that “they put a lot of thought into” according to a tweet from Bill Zanetti earlier will be slashed. Then we lose the river for nothing.

Last edited:

DarkMetroid567

And this is one of the things that terrifies me. If attendance drops because of EU, revenue likely drops too. That’ll lead to budget cut and this project that “they put a lot of thought into” according to a tweet from Bill Zanetti earlier will be slashed. Then we lose the river for nothing.
Any potentially damaging attendance drop is likely going to be in the long-term. EU will not take off with skyhigh attendance numbers (no park does) and I imagine detrimental effects wouldn’t kick in until 2027.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom