News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

EPCOTCenterLover

Well, in all this, I'm still a huge fan of Imagineering. Of course I'll go see the Magic Kingdom's transformation. But I'll be at Epic Universe and Universal Orlando Resort too now. Because they are proving they can create attractions every bit as good with theming just as great. If Disney keeps lowering the bar on their side, so be it. It's just too bad.

Animaniac93-98

Well, in all this, I'm still a huge fan of Imagineering. Of course I'll go see the Magic Kingdom's transformation. But I'll be at Epic Universe and Universal Orlando Resort too now. Because they are proving they can create attractions every bit as good with theming just as great. If Disney keeps lowering the bar on their side, so be it. It's just too bad.

I find Universal is becoming more like Disney and Disney more like Universal.

It's Disney's loss IMO.

Yellow Strap

Clearly not enough. The version of the guardians that’s in Epcot will never be a thing again it was just a moment in time like Back to the future. In 5 years the theme of the attraction will be as dated as Captain EO is now

And you completely misunderstood what I wrote about Star Wars.
I'll take that bet on Guardians...

Quietmouse

Universal obtaining the Nintendo ip for rides is truly the secret sauce. My kids don’t really care about much of universal stuff aside from maybe dr.suess and minions and a few other things…but Nintendo they love Mario, and princess peach and donkey Kong.

They don’t care about Harry Potter but man do they love Mario.

It’s really something that can rival many of Disney famous ips and appeals to both little children and adults and why I’m excited to visit universal again.

EeyoreFan#24

That makes total sense. I worry what will happen when/if Chevy pulls their sponsorship. Funny how Disney used to feel more "Disney" when other companies sponsored attractions 🤔 Too bad that didn't work out as well with Cirque du Soleil though.

Since Chevy continued to sponsor test track, Disney couldn’t install IP at will. So Disney at least had the idea/capability to put cars in TT if Chevy pulled their investment.

Chevys continued support of an attraction refresh sounds like the problem.

Chevy killed the ROAs.

JK - just in case.

radiorae

I’ll reserve judgement until I see more concept art. I think it’s very easy to get wound up using the images they’ve given us so far because they’re so busy. They look loud. The Birds Eye view is straight up chaos. But i think from the ground, on the perimeter by liberty square or CBJ looking in, it’ll be much more peaceful and fitting than people are expecting. With the mountains and trees and water, it’ll be really pretty to walk up to. People forget that half of the point of Cars 1 and 3 was about going back to a quiet time and enjoying the slow life, taking it easy to enjoy the beauty around you. I suspect they’re going to try very hard to preserve that sense of peace a lot of us are afraid of losing with the river/liberty belle/TSI gone.

And I’ll bet money now that the car noises and “ka-chows” will be from in-car speakers that can’t be heard elsewhere, so anyone fretting about Mater extolling the virtues of quality mud flaps while they’re trying to enjoy their turkey leg in peace need not worry.

dmc493

The only point I want to drop in is - a water feature is not the same as a body of water. While a stunning waterfall might work all the time, there's also times when it'll break or be shut off. A body of water (tied to larger stormwater management systems) will always provide the same level of kinetics.

Would not mind if they converted ROA to even a babbling brook among this Grizzly Peak-esque new landscape but I guess that's wishful thinking.

phillip9698

Totally agree The Chatbox Ghost.

I think some of the potential political reasoning questions stem from trying to understand the logic beyond TDO trying to fill up as much land as possible in the MK to make more profit.

I will really miss the view from BTM looking over ROA to the castle!

Also, the riverboat was such a gem. Where can you ride a working riverboat even if it went along a rail. So relaxing. I did not go for years and the in 2017 for my parents 50th anniversary we all went on and it was a blast. My wife who never went on before loved it more than anybody.

Pretty much any southern city with access to a large body of water.

Seriously just pick one, Memphis, Montgomery, Nashville, Charleston, New Orleans, Chattanooga, St. Louis, Savannah, etc……. Those boats are everywhere.

DisneyRoxMySox

Since Chevy continued to sponsor test track, Disney couldn’t install IP at will. So Disney at least had the idea/capability to put cars in TT if Chevy pulled their investment.

Chevys continued support of an attraction refresh sounds like the problem.

Chevy killed the ROAs.

JK - just in case.
That’s it. You’ll never see me buy a Chevy.

radiorae

I also wonder if Villains land had to have that pathway cutting across the river by BTMR and then up the side of HM, necessitating the removal of RoA regardless. At that point what would be preferable— a giant pond? Or an additional land?

erasure fan1

Does having attractions based on movies really add that much to the bottom line? Like if that Cars ride opens tomorrow what percentage increase would they see over sales of cars plushies and blu-rays or whatever?
That's a great question. Will adding cars sell more merch? I'm not really too sure if I really think about it. It's sold just fine without a ride. Little boys will probably always want toy cars. It's kind of like imagination. If they spend the money to fix it, will the line for a figment popcorn bucket be 3hrs instead of 2? I don't know. People just like figment and it sells great with one of the worst rides on property.

RobbinsDad

I'm in a weird camp here. Cars Land in DCA is great. Radiator Springs Racers is an amazing attraction, the backdrop is beautiful and I even like Junkyard Jamboree. I'm not a fan of Rollicking Roadsters, but it's not meant for me anyways.

I think Cars is a bit of an odd fit for this area, but we're also not getting new additions that are free of IP. I like that this is potentially a new ride system for the anchor attraction and that it's not a clone of RSR, even if it's an inferior attraction (we don't know whether or not it will be).

What I actually do like is the placement. This is very valuable real estate that was remarkably under utilized. Don't get me wrong, water has a place in Disney Parks and that aesthetic will be missed, but I actually like this choice.

For me, the Rivers of America weren't sacred. I couldn't tell you the last time I went to Tom Sawyer Island or went on the Liberty Square Riverboat. There is ALWAYS outrage if Disney removes anything, they know this and it's why they didn't reveal this on Saturday night. I'm sure (as evident by a 136 page thread) that TSI and the Riverboat carried with them precious family memories and you're probably just as upset as I was when Reflections of Earth went away.

For me, Cars is a weird choice that I don't love but I'm taking a wait and see approach. However, expansion in to this area is something that I fully support.
I mostly agree, although I do wish they would keep the portion of the river by HM and permanently dock the riverboat. Especially if one could walk on and off the boat at leisure. TSI is no big loss. What will tick me off is a Cars mini land with little or none of the mountain forest landscape shown in the rendering.

Last edited:

jason976

I also wonder if Villains land had to have that pathway cutting across the river by BTMR and then up the side of HM, necessitating the removal of RoA regardless. At that point what would be preferable— a giant pond? Or an additional land?
That’s what I was thinking. That Cars is just going in a space but Villains is the real reason this choice was made. I’m a fan of the choice regardless but I get why some don’t like it.

MDB407

If they are going to do this...wouldn't something more thematically appropriate like a stagecoach being pulled by bullseye through a toy story woody themed Old West make more sense? You could have stinky Pete being the great villain he is and trying to interrupt the tour thru the Old West. Instead cars in frontier land....makes 0 sense no matter how much the parks blog tries to spin it.

TrainsOfDisney

Pretty much any southern city with access to a large body of water.

Seriously just pick one, Memphis, Montgomery, Nashville, Charleston, New Orleans, Chattanooga, St. Louis, Savannah, etc……. Those boats are everywhere.
That’s not correct - New Orleans and Louisville are the only ones I’m aware of, but there may be a couple more, that have an actual steam powered, paddle wheel driven, riverboat.

RobbinsDad

My main gripe with all of this is the Cars IP.

In my opinion, everything in Magic Kingdom should be whimsical (fun, not too serious), and removed from the modern real world. So I don’t think Star Wars or Marvel fit, as they are too serious, real-world, and/or political.

Cars is fairly whimsical, but it’s essentially set in a version of the modern real world. I really love the first Cars film, and the land in California looks great, it would just be better to have it in Hollywood Studios.

If it were a more suitable property, I’d be much more in favour. For example, it could be a Pocahontas themed river rapids.
Tbh I always thought that if they filled this area it would be with a river rapids ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom