News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

I'm in a weird camp here. Cars Land in DCA is great. Radiator Springs Racers is an amazing attraction, the backdrop is beautiful and I even like Junkyard Jamboree. I'm not a fan of Rollicking Roadsters, but it's not meant for me anyways.

I think Cars is a bit of an odd fit for this area, but we're also not getting new additions that are free of IP. I like that this is potentially a new ride system for the anchor attraction and that it's not a clone of RSR, even if it's an inferior attraction (we don't know whether or not it will be).

What I actually do like is the placement. This is very valuable real estate that was remarkably under utilized. Don't get me wrong, water has a place in Disney Parks and that aesthetic will be missed, but I actually like this choice.

For me, the Rivers of America weren't sacred. I couldn't tell you the last time I went to Tom Sawyer Island or went on the Liberty Square Riverboat. There is ALWAYS outrage if Disney removes anything, they know this and it's why they didn't reveal this on Saturday night. I'm sure (as evident by a 136 page thread) that TSI and the Riverboat carried with them precious family memories and you're probably just as upset as I was when Reflections of Earth went away.

For me, Cars is a weird choice that I don't love but I'm taking a wait and see approach. However, expansion in to this area is something that I fully support.

phillip9698

At Disneyland they're always slammed (which I loooove)

Which is a perfect reason to keep the attractions at DL.

People have been asking more and more for work to make MK something other than DL Lite, this is a start. If people have demonstrated they don’t want to experience something over the last 20 years, then give them something they do want.

Captain Neo

Does having attractions based on movies really add that much to the bottom line? Like if that Cars ride opens tomorrow what percentage increase would they see over sales of cars plushies and blu-rays or whatever?

To me it’s a really backward way of thinking about things that’s stuck in the 80s. Like by the time The guardians of the galaxy attraction opened the series was done and James Gunn has gone on to greener pastures. In a few years it’s just going to be “that coaster based on an old movie” and will just end up dated like the Ellen adventure every passing year.

Same with Star Wars land they tied it so heavily to the sequel trilogy which A) No one was all that crazy about and B)was already OVER by the time the land opened and now they have this land junking up the property that they really don’t know what to do with. It’s telling that the Star Wars hotel was closed and the galaxy’s edge for Paris was quietly cancelled and replaced with lion king.

TrainsOfDisney

It's not over in the sense of "there's still a chance the rivers may stay in some form" or "it's going to get a lot worse and we're going to lose more iconic attractions"?
I’m honestly worried about mansion…. It’s gonna be smack in the middle of this. It COULD be an anchor / portal to villains land but it’s also a huge show building……..

Tha Realest

The bright side about the Cars characters not being super integral to the ride means that perhaps someday if the Cars IP is no longer popular, the ride itself can just be reskinned to something else/something original.
1723579395503.jpeg

KDM31091

There is outrage because there is no need to rip out anything. They could conceivably add the Cars land and Villains land and maintain the ROA/TSI, or at the very most, shrink it a bit. No one loses in that scenario. They constantly boast about the "blessing of size", but we almost always have to give up at least one attraction to get something new.

TomboyJanet

There is outrage because there is no need to rip out anything. They could conceivably add the Cars land and Villains land and maintain the ROA/TSI, or at the very most, shrink it a bit. No one loses in that scenario. They constantly boast about the "blessing of size", but we almost always have to give up at least one attraction to get something new.
Exactly this it's not about the rides even it's about the shrinking setting

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

I’m thinking after this gets built. The show building could be reused for villains.

Obviously that’s not what I want but I have to think it’s been considered at this point.
I think there's a near (but not) zero chance that the Mansion gets replaced. It moves too much merchandise, and if you thought people were upset about RoA/TSI or Muppets...

Yellow Strap

Does having attractions based on movies really add that much to the bottom line? Like if that Cars ride opens tomorrow what percentage increase would they see over sales of cars plushies and blu-rays or whatever?

To me it’s a really backward way of thinking about things that’s stuck in the 80s. Like by the time The guardians of the galaxy attraction opened the series was done and James Gunn has gone on to greener pastures. In a few years it’s just going to be “that coaster based on an old movie” and will just end up dated like the Ellen adventure every passing year.

Same with Star Wars land they tied it so heavily to the sequel trilogy which A) No one was all that crazy about and B)was already OVER by the time the land opened and now they have this land junking up the property that they really don’t know what to do with. It’s telling that the Star Wars hotel was closed and the galaxy’s edge for Paris was quietly cancelled and replaced with lion king.
So...everyone complains that Disney needs to be more like Universal.
They are in the same IP business. Epic U, except for the central coaster, is ALL IPs.

Cars, as a franchise, is still making lots of money for Disney. Carsland is the most popular land in DCA.
The original film made 10 billion in merch sales and they are still releasing new lines of Cars in toy stores.

Guardians is considered the best Marvel Trilogy and a classic. Its not going away.

Star Wars has been around since 1977 and the land can be easily converted to any timeline, which you can see the beginnings of with the Mandalorian added to MF:SR

Disney does a LOT of research and crunches a lot of numbers before choosing the IPs to put in their parks.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom