News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

WDW1995

couldn’t the ride still be long if there we’re elevation shifts? My head is thinking mountain trail, climbing up the mountain and looping down…which would result in a longer ride right?
We can see the rough track layout from the concept art, and there will be elevation changes and points where the track crosses under itself, but there is only so much you can do with a footprint basically the size of 7DMT, if not a bit smaller.

CSOM

You're another person here that completely misses the point. "Theming arguments are over blown"? Seriously? They are taking a focal point of an entire 25% of the park and drastically changing it. Theming is what Disney theme parks have always been built on. The entirety of Liberty Square and Frontierland are designed to face the river and the island-it's integral to the atmosphere and pacing of both lands. And, if you read through this whole thread, most people are not denying the fact that it would be great to have this Cars area and attractions-I would love to see it. But not at the expense of something classic. Why does every inch of the parks have to be reclaimed or used to shove thousands of people through? Believe it or not, there are still some people that aren't park commandos and only go to WDW for the rides-some of us like atmosphere and theming, and like to slow down and take everything in, and the ROA is one of the best areas on property to be able to do this. WDW property is the same size as the city of San Francisco, and most of it is unused-alot of room to work without destroying something current. And where does this stop? Do you consider World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot to be unused space? Would you be ok if it was filled in and covered with IP based attractions? If this is the way WDW is changing, so be it, but it seems like they are pandering more and more to the younger, casual guest and not the long time guests who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over many years there, and appreciate the history. Alot of us will be moving on, and everyone that wants this to happen can have WDW all for themselves.
I completely agree with you that theming is what sets Disney parks apart from others, and one of the reasons I was underwhelmed by the Studios Park in France.

I also understand that LS/FL were built with the waterfront in mind, no debate from me.

I'm also a long time guest, going regularly for 40 years and appreciate the history (long live Horizons!). This was just my opinion that the river never mattered to me. The Epcot lagoon is used for night shows and doesn't impede guest flow.

It's felt underutilized to ME (again YMMV), the TSI was never appealing, the boat was never appealing, and I always found that the river constrained the walk way and it was a PITA to get from HM to BTMRR.

For those that enjoy the area, I'm sorry that you'll feel the loss. I'm just completely baffled by the response on here, because I honestly didn't realize the area had that many fans.

Raineman

Dizknee_Phreek

But can you see any of those while standing in Frontierland?

I feel like the people trying to make the argument that Disney still has water features, or appear to be adding water features in the Cars area are missing what others are saying. Yes - there are OTHER water features on property. Yes - they will supposedly be adding a waterfall and puddles to the new area. But the point is RoA is a respite INSIDE MK. To see the other bodies of water pictured you have to go outside of the park which defeats the purpose. And I'm sorry, but waterfalls and puddles do NOT have the same relaxing ambience of a river. Now, hopefully they will keep at least some small parts of the river, as evidenced by some bridges in the artist rendering. But it's hard to tell how large those areas will be...IF they even make the cut. Certainly won't be the same as sitting on the edge of the river watching the LB glide by.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
We can all write a 100 pages on this thread in 30 hours but no one will sign the petition below? Speaks volumes here…

Just have to be honest with yourself, petitions don't move the needle. The boat has sailed on this one as well, layyards are being built and permits being filed. We lost another one...

el_super

Yes - they will supposedly be adding a waterfall and puddles to the new area. But the point is RoA is a respite INSIDE MK. To see the other bodies of water pictured you have to go outside of the park which defeats the purpose.

What is the effective range of the "see water" hack?

Are we willing to write off Fantasyland and Tomorrowland because they don't have any water features we can see? What about Main Street? What about Hollywood Studios? Is there a requirement to how big the water has to be in order for the brain hack to work? Is the hub too small to fill this need? Or Echo Lake? And just so we're clear... Bay Lake and SSL absolutely do not work because the water has to be inside a gate to work... right?

Jrb1979

I completely agree with you that theming is what sets Disney parks apart from others, and one of the reasons I was underwhelmed by the Studios Park in France.

I also understand that LS/FL were built with the waterfront in mind, no debate from me.

I'm also a long time guest, going regularly for 40 years and appreciate the history (long live Horizons!). This was just my opinion that the river never mattered to me. The Epcot lagoon is used for night shows and doesn't impede guest flow.

It's felt underutilized to ME (again YMMV), the TSI was never appealing, the boat was never appealing, and I always found that the river constrained the walk way and it was a PITA to get from HM to BTMRR.

For those that enjoy the area, I'm sorry that you'll feel the loss. I'm just completely baffled by the response on here, because I honestly didn't realize the area had that many fans.
I think for many, especially me it's not so much TSI or ROA going away or Cars coming in. It's how they continue to move away from the unique theming each park had. It's what made Disney different. It wasn't just how themed the attractions were but how they fit the park they are in.

The hard part for me is how little many seem to care about park theming now.

KDM31091

I feel like the people trying to make the argument that Disney still has water features, or appear to be adding water features in the Cars area are missing what others are saying. Yes - there are OTHER water features on property. Yes - they will supposedly be adding a waterfall and puddles to the new area. But the point is RoA is a respite INSIDE MK. To see the other bodies of water pictured you have to go outside of the park which defeats the purpose. And I'm sorry, but waterfalls and puddles do NOT have the same relaxing ambience of a river. Now, hopefully they will keep at least some small parts of the river, as evidenced by some bridges in the artist rendering. But it's hard to tell how large those areas will be...IF they even make the cut. Certainly won't be the same as sitting on the edge of the river watching the LB glide by.
Exactly. Not sure what people aren’t getting. Of course there’s still water around the resort. It doesn’t mean this is not a huge loss.

As stated well upthread I believe the current water area at ROA is approx 8 acres and going down to about 3/4 of one acre. Essentially a puddle may remain, that’s about it, and it’s probably the bare minimum needed for drainage and whatnot. Plus, just because it remains doesn’t mean it will be highly visible or incorporated in the new area.

montyz81

How much land does Disney own in Florida? 26,000 acres. How much land is not been built up? About 13,000 acres most of it very usable. There is plenty of land to build on, why continue to remove classic attraction that cost comparably nothing to run! It just es me off how much the standards at Disney aren’t very high while the standards at Universal are rising!

KDM31091

E
I think for many, especially me it's not so much TSI or ROA going away or Cars coming in. It's how they continue to move away from the unique theming each park had. It's what made Disney different. It wasn't just how themed the attractions were but how they fit the park they are in.

The hard part for me is how little many seem to care about park theming now.
Exactly. The lines among all the parks are becoming super blurry. Even within the parks the themed lands are becoming essentially meaningless or devoted to a single IP.

The Chatbox Ghost

We can all write a 100 pages on this thread in 30 hours but no one will sign the petition below? Speaks volumes here…

Look, as much as I agree with you (and I even signed the petition), it's not going to do anything. It's too late. This isn't a blue sky idea, this is something finalized. At this point, all we can hope for is that some of the river/water is kept and maybe the Liberty Belle is docked somewhere permanently to be used for seating space/snack stands. There's no saving the entirety of the RoA/TSI.

TheRealSkull

Look, as much as I agree with you (and I even signed the petition), it's not going to do anything. It's too late. This isn't a blue sky idea, this is something finalized. At this point, all we can hope for is that some of the river/water is kept and maybe the Liberty Belle is docked somewhere permanently to be used for seating space/snack stands. There's no saving the entirety of the RoA/TSI.
Well that's what I was saying earlier too. Maybe the top portion of the river will be preserved?
GUzuvuObgAAcmIy.jpeg

Wall-e

This may be a more welcome respite to others (hopefully children because my kids do not share the same view on the current area as I do). I say this with an empathetic heart, I acknowledge they are taking something away but I believe we need to let them see this vision through without trying to mix elements of what is currently there (to appease those who want the waterfront to stay) with their vision for what this area can become.

We haven’t seen what this will look like from the BTM viewpoint yet. Perhaps more to come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom