News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Yellow Strap

Neither ROTR or Ratatouille impressed me, especially when considering how under utilized the track less system is on both. Plus, Ratatouille is screen based, which I can't stand (but that's a personal preference). I can't speak to the other two yet. But Ratatouille and ROTR existed in other parks before coming to WDW.

But to each their own, I guess.
You asked what they've done well lately and I told you...

Its all opinion at the end of the day.

WDW1995

Thank you to Jack and the DSNY Newscast for this potential layout.

It could be very big. Villains Land could even be bigger. Like massively bigger...
Plus this saves the railroad from shutting down again for a long time.

View attachment 809055

As was discussed earlier, the entire acreage of the Cars area here is less than JUST the RSR attraction at DCA, and this is supposed to contain two rides. The main Jeep ride is either going to be very short or go much slower than would be expected for a thrilling E-ticket.

doctornick

As was discussed earlier, the entire acreage of the Cars area here is less than JUST the RSR attraction at DCA, and this is supposed to contain two rides. The main Jeep ride is either going to be very short or go much slower than would be expected for a thrilling E-ticket.

I think that is an even bigger irony is that the main Cars attraction is likely going to be more like a D ticket and underwhelming (especially to those who have ridden RSR) which will make this location decision even worse.

And, more ironically, they probably could have had more land and been able to do a more robust offering by using a different location without the constaints of the RoA plot.

J4546

it could be slow rock crowling and a couple fast parts, maybe even a couple indoor cavern spots as well, still a lot to learn, but I also do get what your saying, the space is pretty small, but Im cautiously optimistic

KDM31091

It doesn’t have to be huge, just popular enough to generate fresh buzz - and thus new merchandise and lightning lane revenue. Increasing the per customer spend. While I realize gender roles are taboo, it’s also a valuable “boy-centric” franchise to coexist alongside Tiana.

Today’s kids aren’t buying coonskin caps anymore or reading long-form books in general, but certainly not the likes of Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn.

This is the end result of TDO’s poor planning both in terms of its reliance of upselling Lightning Lanes as a core function of the WDW property business model and it’s inability to properly maintain TSL/RoA for years. Unlike DL there is no financial incentive (like Fantasmic) tied to keeping the rivers operational. Nor is there an incentive to tug in the nostalgia heartstrings, in part because the MK does have the benefit of the sheer number of E-tickets that DL has, but also because the audience is wholly different.

The business model for the WDW is to fill each park with a moderate selection of fresh E-tickets, and crowd them as much as possible creating an artificial scarcity necessitate requiring the upcharging of LL to ensure your once a decade or once a lifetime tourist “maximize their day”. When you view it through that lens it makes sense why land expansion and “free” (non-LL) C-ticket or even D-ticket rides are a waste of space.
Yup. If they cannot sell a LL for it, if they cannot make the waits appear ridiculous, if they cannot monetize the ride and milk it dry… it’s at risk of being considered a waste of space and eliminated. So sad.

Lou Filerman

No I'm not. It's a well-established principle of design with loads of evidence.

It has nothing to do with individual thoughts about what's being done.

That doesn't mean Disney can't redesign other existing areas to make it work (and it seems like that may be the plan with dumping Liberty Square), though.
You literally wrote “people are going to dislike it”. You have no idea what people will and will not like. You are forcing your own feelings into other people and assuming everyone thinks like you.

Raineman

I've read much of this and my additions ultimately don't mean very much, but a few thoughts:
1) I've gone to Disneyland and DCA over WDW in recent years because of things like Radiator Springs, so this is a welcome addition to the resort
2) I think the theming arguments here are overblown and it feels like an issue to a very small, but very vocal, number of fanatics. The rock work of RSR (I know it's not a complete copy) feels like an extension of BTMRR to me even if it's just "west" and not "old west"
3) I'm shocked that ROA, TSI and the Liberty Belle are that popular on here. It's always seemed like a huge waste of space to me. I think I went to TSI once in the 80s, never rode the keelboats, finally rode the Liberty Belle on the most recent trip and don't really need to do again. It seems like an obvious place to me to reclaim land for more popular attractions.

So, another vote from me for this one. The recently announced additions in total may bring me back to WDW when I would've been content going west for the foreseeable future. I'm excited for this and Villains, for Encanto, and for the Monsters Inc land.

Now if we can add another actual live animal attraction to AK, that would be amazing, but I don't know that will ever happen.
You're another person here that completely misses the point. "Theming arguments are over blown"? Seriously? They are taking a focal point of an entire 25% of the park and drastically changing it. Theming is what Disney theme parks have always been built on. The entirety of Liberty Square and Frontierland are designed to face the river and the island-it's integral to the atmosphere and pacing of both lands. And, if you read through this whole thread, most people are not denying the fact that it would be great to have this Cars area and attractions-I would love to see it. But not at the expense of something classic. Why does every inch of the parks have to be reclaimed or used to shove thousands of people through? Believe it or not, there are still some people that aren't park commandos and only go to WDW for the rides-some of us like atmosphere and theming, and like to slow down and take everything in, and the ROA is one of the best areas on property to be able to do this. WDW property is the same size as the city of San Francisco, and most of it is unused-alot of room to work without destroying something current. And where does this stop? Do you consider World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot to be unused space? Would you be ok if it was filled in and covered with IP based attractions? If this is the way WDW is changing, so be it, but it seems like they are pandering more and more to the younger, casual guest and not the long time guests who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over many years there, and appreciate the history. Alot of us will be moving on, and everyone that wants this to happen can have WDW all for themselves.

KDM31091

Poseidon Entertainment just did a video on Disney resorts, really lauding the best it has to offer but ending with disappointment at the current trend of blander looking ones they're making, or the choices to do things like slap The Incredibles everywhere on the Contemporary, that sort of thing. It's a pretty great launching off point for discussions of "what IS Disney?" to most people - like, to me Disney is a series of design choices and styles. Ergo, something like the Yacht and Beach Club is interesting because it's that Disney style's take on those very things, the Wilderness Lodge is the Disney style's take on a mountain resort, etc. You get some characters here and there, mostly around the gift shops, but it's not overbearing.

The newer stuff is pretty much generic hotel towers, but with Disney characters drawn on some surfaces or what have you, and now it's bleeding over into the previously built hotels (e.g. "throw Beauty and the Beast into our 'Florida in the Victorian Era' themed resort because...reasons!"). I suppose to some that makes it "more Disney", but I think a stronger case can be made that it's abandoning a lot of Disney design principles, thus making it less Disney than it was before, even if that feels strange since it involves an increase in the number of visible Disney characters.
I saw that video and I totally agreed. All the unique Disney touches are vanishing and at that point you may as well stay off site, which is really sad.

Quietmouse

couldn’t the ride still be long if there we’re elevation shifts? My head is thinking mountain trail, climbing up the mountain and looping down…which would result in a longer ride right?

UNCgolf

You literally wrote “people are going to dislike it”. You have no idea what people will and will not like. You are forcing your own feelings into other people and assuming everyone thinks like you.

No I'm not. You're just not understanding what I wrote, although I'm not sure how to put it any clearer.

Go back and re-read the full comment instead of latching onto random excerpts. I didn't imply that people are going to dislike Cars, or dislike literally everything. It's a very specific concept, and one with tremendous amounts of backing evidence. It has nothing to do with individual feelings.

This isn't really the same thing, but it's vaguely similar and it might work as an example. Imagine two restaurants, one of which has big windows with outdoor views full of natural light, and the other which has no windows at all. People are generally going to prefer the former as a setting. Not every single person will, but as a general principle, people will find the first a more pleasant place even if they don't really notice why.

Last edited:

Wall-e

IMO high speed areas of RSR would take up more track distance. I doubt this “off road” adventure will have the large banked turns and straights that RSR has thus less space/track needed.

Edit: rereading your post I see your point more clearly. All conjecture at this point but I see areas that show undulations, possible simulated jumps, and thrills and spills 😁. If it’s new, exciting and technological it’ll be considered an E ticket for years.

Last edited:

Centauri Space Station

Wdw has tons of lagoons

IMG_3473.jpeg
IMG_3470.jpeg
IMG_3469.jpeg
IMG_3472.jpeg
IMG_3471.png

IMG_3467.jpeg
IMG_3474.jpeg

There making more lagoons and water features, moping up what Disney has abandoned and I think it’s a great move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom