Carousel of Progress Sign Change

Buzzforprez

Theres a little crappy metallic sign tomorrow...
So enjoy what you have here for today...
Theres a wire meshy mall thingy sign tomorrow...
And the old one just went up on ebay...

Man had a dream and that was the start...
To build us a sign that lacks of art...
And once it became our reality...
We think it crude, and oh so cheesey...

If theres a great big beautiful tomorrow...
Then TDO start listening to what we say...
Please fix only what needs fixin...
And let the other stuff stay another day...

Sorry. Had to do it. Lack of sleep, allergies, long period of time between trips and a fondness of Weird Al all caught up with me. Forgive me.

Skipper Dan

Okay, yes, I think it's a downgrade, no, I do not like it, and it is exactly what I had imagined when I read the OP's description, but, the only problem I have with it, is that it's just to d--n hard to read. I like the idea, but maybe if there was another piece behind the actual words, 'Carousel of Progress,' and as previously mentioned, backlit, it wouldn't be so bad. Ah, well... just my two copper pieces of American money.

Also, I do feel that this is a permanent replacement. :brick:

FutureWorld1982

Sadly, the rolling year numbers haven't been used since 2008.

Carousel of Progress by Chester òÒÓó, on Flickr

Good point, but the cylinder was changed just this year, and it was brand-new. I took these pictures back in January 2011:

dsc01517j.jpg

dsc01518mh.jpg

GymLeaderPhil

Good point, but the cylinder was changed just this year:, and it was brand-new. I took these pictures back in January 2011
The 2011 plate still was just a static sign, but they placed it on the inside versus stuck on the outside. I'm sure it will be back soon and hopefully with the flipping years effect returned.

DisneyFan 2000

Am I the only one that thinks -this being a temporary sign- doesn't look too bad at all? Sure the actual sign is better but as a temp setup it's not half bad.

TestTrack

Am I the only one that thinks -this being a temporary sign- doesn't look too bad at all? Sure the actual sign is better but as a temp setup it's not half bad.

Agreed, I don't think its THAT bad. A lot of permanent signs recently have been very flat, cheap looking and simply paint. This has dimension still and isn't just a flat poster of paint.

Yes, its tough to read but figuring that it's temporary I think its rather nice. If its permanent...well...I don't get why they would replace it unless it were made of neon tubing so it could be lit up at night.

janoimagine

I rather like the new sign. :)

Of course it does not change my opinion that the CoP should be pried up put on a truck and shipped back to the place it actually belongs. That being Disneyland.

Then something that actually fits the theme of Tomorrowland could go in that space. Ideally a venue that is structured so that the TTA is made part of the "streetmosphere".

The Incredibles? Tron? Wall-E?

Shocking. Of course you would like it. :ROFLOL:

powlessfamily4

Stop Stop Stop - Put it back!! They have replaced a great sign with what appears to be the spray painted remains of an old iron head board ROFL

WDWFREAK53

I'm wondering if this is part of the "Next Gen" stuff. I'm not talking about an interactive queue like the HM got...but maybe something that is activated kinda like the Scavenger Hunt being tested.

Maybe actual rotating gears?

jessfriends

i will be there in about 2 weeks and I am bummed i won't be able to get my picture taken with the year :( oh well...maybe it will be back by then? If they are refurbishing it then that's great, but if it is not going to return I won't be happy...

FutureWorld1982

The 2011 plate still was just a static sign, but they placed it on the inside versus stuck on the outside. I'm sure it will be back soon and hopefully with the flipping years effect returned.

Interesting, thanks. It looked strange. I guess they're finally refurbishing it for good, then. And let me add, it's a good thing.

devoy1701

Agreed, I don't think its THAT bad. A lot of permanent signs recently have been very flat, cheap looking and simply paint. This has dimension still and isn't just a flat poster of paint.

Yes, its tough to read but figuring that it's temporary I think its rather nice. If its permanent...well...I don't get why they would replace it unless it were made of neon tubing so it could be lit up at night.

All the new sign needs is some Greenary behind it to serve as a backdrop to shade in the text...or some sort of curved metal background that could have lights cast upon it to give it depth and color. I mean obviously as is the sign is hard to read, but can none of you visualize more than just what is in the picture. If they do something along these lines then the sign will look pretty nice. Sleek and more modern looking.

pumpkin7

Good point, but the cylinder was changed just this year, and it was brand-new. I took these pictures back in January 2011:

dsc01517j.jpg

dsc01518mh.jpg

well, it must be for that then. they've obviously been sticking the dates on for so long, they've replaced the cylinder only to realise that all the cellotape and gaffatape used to stick the date on has ruined the paint job! maybe it's just being painted and refreshed. lets hope so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom