Carousel of Progress Sign Change

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
. To me, the previous one looked like a big piece of plastic. The current one just looks like some bent bars with letters glued onto them. :lookaroun

Last edited:

Jerm

I still like the old old sign that had the changing decades where they stuck on the current year when it broke down to many times. This sign I am sure is just temp, but it is odd for them to pull out the whole old sign unless what ever needs to be done to it has to be done in the sign shop. I doubt it will be a new sign, if it was they would have just dropped it in and pulled the old one. Oh well we will see!

Hot4Hudgens

Yikes. That looks like something a fan would mock up to place in their front yard. Really hoping they just took the other one in for some maintenance and not replacing it with THAT.

Tomi-Rocket

huh?

When I first saw this thread I thought, "Come on, how bad could it be?" THEN I saw a photo someone posted. It IS AWFUL!! :eek:

Please, please tell me this is temporary! It's so difficult to read but I know if we see that then WDW sees it, too, and it must be something to fill in till the real sign is put up.

Jasonflz

???

This has to be temporary. There is no logical reason that Disney would remove a sign just to put wireframe in it's place.

Otherwise, it's not horrible looking, just a big downgrade.

aladdin2007

???

This has to be temporary. There is no logical reason that Disney would remove a sign just to put wireframe in it's place.

Otherwise, it's not horrible looking, just a big downgrade.

Why do I get the awful feeling this is not temporary, that they just havent finished landscape around it or something. Horrible horrible, :hurl:
Lets hope it is temporary but..... First they make the peoplemover bland with that boring narration and now we are reverting to cheap pvc pipe plastic signs hat can be made in your garage at home (just like the dhs parade) Sad days for Tomorrowland, I hope there is more than meets the eye here. Talk about a slap in the face for the 40th if its not temporary.

jt04

I rather like the new sign. :)

Of course it does not change my opinion that the CoP should be pried up put on a truck and shipped back to the place it actually belongs. That being Disneyland.

Then something that actually fits the theme of Tomorrowland could go in that space. Ideally a venue that is structured so that the TTA is made part of the "streetmosphere".

The Incredibles? Tron? Wall-E?

SirNim

You know if the wireforms and letterforms were neon-lit, it would actually be something quite cool. (rather than being lit from the front with a spotlight)

It's actually got a nice modern touch as it exists now, though.... very Web 2.0. Looks like a logo Google would come up with if tasked with the assignment. Weirdly enough I don't mind it. :D

Condorman

I rather like the new sign. :)

Of course it does not change my opinion that the CoP should be pried up put on a truck and shipped back to the place it actually belongs. That being Disneyland.

Then something that actually fits the theme of Tomorrowland could go in that space. Ideally a venue that is structured so that the TTA is made part of the "streetmosphere".

The Incredibles? Tron? Wall-E?

JT, you've already got enough enemies on these boards as it is. CoP is one of the originals. Don't be another "gimme a high-octane roller coaster that will melt my grandmother's face" kind of people. That's not something Disney has ever done, it's not what they currently do, it's not what they will ever do.

CoP belongs in Tomorrowland more than the Indy Speedway, Stitch's Great Escape, and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. Heck, it even has the lyrics "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" as its main theme. The Incredibles has no place being in Tomorrowland. Tron would require a massive plot to install a light cycle coaster. As for Wall-E, he belongs, but not as an attraction.

I know there are Disney haters on these boards. I laugh every time they waste their precious daylight hours going out of their way to post negative sentiments about an amusement park. Sometimes I wonder if you go out of your way to say the wrong thing. :shrug:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. This time only.

Neverland

The previous sign was added just 3 years ago.

This one?...

CarouselofProg.jpg

LaughingGravy

The wire sign looks like it belongs in the food court of a local mall.
You know, one of those generic looking "Sandwiches and Stuff" kind of signs where the food service place is an independent outfit, not part of a chain, but sticking out as cheap within the rest of the name brands.

Was there anything wrong with the other sign that anyone here noticed to warrant the change?

aladdin2007

The wire sign looks like it belongs in the food court of a local mall. You know, one of those generic looking "Sandwiches and Stuff" kind of signs where the food service place is an independent outfit, not part of a chain, but sticking out as cheap within the rest of the name brands.

Was there anything wrong with the other sign that anyone here noticed to warrant the change?

So true, You would think it was world war 2 all over again and we were in a deep depression by the looks of this new sign, it has got to go. I didnt see anything wrong with the past sign, unless it was taken out for repainting or something? This new one does not appear temporary I hate to say, if there were going to be a temporary sign wouldnt they just use board signs like the tiki closure sign?

MDenham

And...ew. What gives? I was there on April 30th and the normal gears sign was there. Why the change??
From the looks of the old sign, they could change the year on it. Maybe they'd only done the sign for 1995-2011, and it's down temporarily just to redo the year cylinder to handle another decade?

I dunno. Maybe I'm being too optimistic here. :rolleyes:

EDIT: correcting the first year thanks to the below post, which makes this seem even more likely. (Well, unless it's got independent cylinders for each digit. I don't know if anyone's got a look that close to the date.)

rct247

Original Poster
Thanks for posting the picture! I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates it. It really is very hard to read and it has already affected how a few guests locate it.

I hope it is temporary as well because it just doesn't work and looks out of place. I'd love for the entire attraction to be updated once again, but if all we get is bringing the old sign back, I am fine with that for a few more years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom