Carousel of Progress - NEW Rumor...

What should be done with Carousel of Progress?

• The attraction should stay open as is.

Votes: 89 21.0%
  • The attraction should be made seasonal again.

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • The attraction should be given an It's a Small World-style rehab.

Votes: 210 49.5%
  • The script should be rewritten and the show should be updated featuring new technology.

Votes: 153 36.1%
  • The attraction should be refreshed and moved to Epcot.

Votes: 80 18.9%
  • The attraction should shut down forever.

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • The attraction should move back to Disneyland.

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Other: Discuss!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SirGoofy

I would love to see CoP stay, but at Epcot. It's location is horrible now. Many people couldn't find it when I was there in December. It should have a perminant place in Innoventions.

Epcot82Guy

Count me in as one who would be outraged at its closing. I think the only thing worse is letting it run with all the problems it is having. It is just bad show, pure and simple.

I personally would love to see this move to Epcot and have it turn into the original concept of show and then showcase of future technology. Innov. West has never had high attendance, and the best showcases there could be moved into Innov East. I think a prominent position in Epcot, a well defined show of "Progress in the 20th century" and a hands-on post show about progress.

I actually like the idea of turning this into more of a ride than show. Use a horizon's like facing-out omnimover to showcase the scenes of the show and do it in a whimsical way like WoM had. Unfortunately, this would have the same maintenance problems all the other Epcot attractions fell victim to.

BRER STITCH

I'd love to see a healthy re-work of this attraction! The animatronics, music and theater experience make it a special attraction that the "non-riders" really appreaicate!

Imagine an all new show with new scenes, better lighting, and a more fluid cast of characters!

One way to keep it alive at a much smaller cost would be to put it into a theater where a ride vehicle (similar to ones used in the Great Movie Ride or Energy Adventure) does all the moving instead of the theater building itself.

A new surround sound system and improved lighting, along with a new final scene would make it a great attraction again!

"Now is the time....Now is the Best Time!"

KaliSplash

Other than the Monorail and the Wedway Peoplemover, CoP was the first WDW attraction I ever saw. I would hate to see anything other than a IaSW rehab. And I shall NOT be happy if this latest rumor is true!

Brent

Like I said on my topic COP & Timekeeper are not listed at all in the new 50th info you can send away for. But I still have my fingers crossed this is still just a rumor.

Lionking

so what it may be a little out of date COP is one of my favorite rides at wdw I would really hate to see it go it is a classic it just needs a little TLC and it would be like new again. Please don't get rid of COP!

Fantasmic!329

The script should be rewritten and the show should be updated featuring new technology. - This got my vote.

I love the CoP. They just really, really have got to do something with the Christmas scene. Pretty much of all the 'futuristic' elements of that scene are no longer futuristic.

tk421-sw

Maybe it's just the facade and mechanics that need an upgrade. Now, I like the ride the way it was, if we "moved up" the ages through the ride, we would lose the whole twentyth centry part. I DO like the whole, Lets add an LCD flat screen to the computer desk, and small fixed like that, because As far as I know, that's about as far as we are right now. Sure, fix rover i nthe last scene, (See one of out last posts, it was so sad only his tail moved the whole scene:cry: ) But keep the years, even if its a big gap fro mthe 40's to the "90's, correct me if im wrong on that last part, but Really who wants to see the father in bell bottoms and so on. Though I do like the Mickey Nutcracker on the fireplace in the last scene. ! IT's a nice touch. Look for it if you haven't seen it, it's dark over there so it's a little hard to see. Anyway, fix the AA's, but keep it the same and keep it there!
The facade is kind of not inviting..if you know what I mean... It's so bland.
Dont touch the script!

General Grizz

Original Poster
Rover has been fixed. Great comments! Now write Disney with your thoughts and concerns on the matter - address available on the first post, page one of this thread.

So far we're at 96% of 207 polled favoring the preservation of this classic...

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
So far we're at 96% of 207 polled favoring the preservation of this classic...

Very true. I wonder what the "Change Patrol" has to say about that :lol:

Just teasing everyone :wave:

Expo_Seeker40

I've imagineered my own progress pavilion...lol

I dunno I just fell if the CoP can be saved and if it does stay in tomorrowland or Epcot...4 acts is not gonna do it. We will have such a gap between 1940 and...I dunno twenty ten or twenty twenty that it would be crazy...phycadelic. :hammer:

I still have a soft spot for restoring the original ending. LOL I miss just mother and father and rover in their suburban living room. God that ending was so neat, it turly showed how upbeat the space age *cough* and Genera Electric could make one's home.

I personally would like to see more of the orignal script restored. So much of the 1994 can not compare to the first three acts of the 1964 version. I also miss the orchestra and chorus that would sing "beautiful tomorrow"...the kaleidohponic screens were alot more interesting than a silver curtain. :cry:

Save the CoP!!! I gotta write my email soon.

prberk

Laura22 said:
Something I really loved about Disney as a kid were all the "progress" rides....Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, and Carousel of Progress. The Carousel of Progress was great about 10 years ago, but now it's rather outdated. I would love a new script and some updates with new technology, but I bet it won't happen.

I don't believe COP fits in the Magic Kingdom at all. It would have fit in great at Epcot before they removed WOM and Horizons. Now the only "progress" ride left is SSE and there's already talk about renovating that as well. That just makes me sad. Ever since I was a kid I've loved seeing the way technology has changed over the years on these Disney attractions. It's a shame that all the rides with educational value are disappearing.

I don't think that you are the only one who was affected or impressed by the theme of progress when you were a child. I think many of us were. What's more, I think many young people today who have ridden the ride still say the same thing. They love it. The big difference today, of course, is the fact that there is so much more out there competing, and most of the other stuff highly advertised. But when young people have ridden this ride, they remember it. It makes an impression still, even though they know (from the preshow or from their parents), that it is from another time.

I still think that the philosophy of doing things differently, like rotating the audience instead of the stage, also impresses people. "Thinking outside of the box," they call it. MBAs pay thousands of dollars to learn how to do that, but Walt Disney World subtly taught me that years ago, as a child.

Examples of "thinking outside of the box" at WDW that impressed me and still exist today:

- The monorail itself. Why use buses or regular trains (boring), when you can be cool like that and make a "highway in the sky"?

- The water bridge next to the Contemporary. Why build a normal old auto bridge over the water (like everyone else), when you can make the water go over the bridge, and keep the placid view of the lake? Where else can you ride a boat over traffic?

- Epcot itself. Still inspiring, despite the changes.

And it all started with the rotating theatre. Just how cool was it to think that we can spin the audience, instead of rotating the stage?!

That idea alone is still inspirational to me! And who knows how many other people have felt that way in some small but significant way through the years?

Paul

General Grizz

Original Poster
prberk said:
I don't think that you are the only one who was affected or impressed by the theme of progress when you were a child. I think many of us were. What's more, I think many young people today who have ridden the ride still say the same thing. They love it. The big difference today, of course, is the fact that there is so much more out there competing, and most of the other stuff highly advertised. But when young people have ridden this ride, they remember it. It makes an impression still, even though they know (from the preshow or from their parents), that it is from another time.

I still think that the philosophy of doing things differently, like rotating the audience instead of the stage, also impresses people. "Thinking outside of the box," they call it. MBAs pay thousands of dollars to learn how to do that, but Walt Disney World subtly taught me that years ago, as a child.

Examples of "thinking outside of the box" at WDW that impressed me and still exist today:

- The monorail itself. Why use buses or regular trains (boring), when you can be cool like that and make a "highway in the sky"?

- The water bridge next to the Contemporary. Why build a normal old auto bridge over the water (like everyone else), when you can make the water go over the bridge, and keep the placid view of the lake? Where else can you ride a boat over traffic?

- Epcot itself. Still inspiring, despite the changes.

And it all started with the rotating theatre. Just how cool was it to think that we can spin the audience, instead of rotating the stage?!

That idea alone is still inspirational to me! And who knows how many other people have felt that way in some small but significant way through the years?

Paul
Paul, you typed what is perhaps my favorite post on WDWMagic. What a great way to look at Disney magic!

prberk

General Grizz said:
Paul, you typed what is perhaps my favorite post on WDWMagic. What a great way to look at Disney magic!

Wow! That's impressive! Thanks!

I have to say, I wrote what I believe. And I really think that Walt Disney World had its biggest impression on me in just the way that I said: learning to think outside of the box. Those things that I mentioned showed how the planners and Walt himself made the difference with "that one little twist" on many of the things that they designed. They took the mundane and made it stand out (while still accomplishing it mundane task -- like getting people or a show moved forward!).

Anyhow, thanks Griz. And thanks to Laura22 for making me think about what inspired me at WDW in the first place. It is for reasons like this that we need to keep the spark of inspiration glowing at WDW.

Paul

Save the CoP

Ever since my first trip to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom the Carousel of Progress had always facinated me. The ride is a true Walt disney Classic and taking it away would be like ripping the last little bit of Walt left in the Park. If this news is true then I will go to MK in october and take my last ride and pay respect to the man who made all of his dreams come true.

General Grizz

Original Poster
maelstrom said:
i will just start crying now.
Do not cry!

Fight the good fight. :D

"Discontent is the first necessity of progress!" - Susan B. Anthony, The American Adventure

"Somehow I can't believe there are many heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true." -- Walt Disney

"A single grain of rice can tip the scale." -- The Emperor, from "Mulan"

"You don't have time to be timid - you must be bold, daring!" -- Lumiere, from "Beauty and the Beast"

"Whatever we accomplish is due to the combined effort." -- Walt Disney

"Get a good idea, and stay with it. Dog it, and work at it until it's done, and done right." -- Walt Disney

"Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling thru." -- Cinderella, "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom