Carousel of Progress - NEW Rumor...

What should be done with Carousel of Progress?

• The attraction should stay open as is.

Votes: 89 21.0%
  • The attraction should be made seasonal again.

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • The attraction should be given an It's a Small World-style rehab.

Votes: 210 49.5%
  • The script should be rewritten and the show should be updated featuring new technology.

Votes: 153 36.1%
  • The attraction should be refreshed and moved to Epcot.

Votes: 80 18.9%
  • The attraction should shut down forever.

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • The attraction should move back to Disneyland.

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Other: Discuss!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aimster

This has probably been said (I'm too lazy to wade thru all the posts today), but demolishing the building would be tricky since the PeopleMover (well, TTA) goes through it. And getting rid of PeopleMover would be a cardinal sin in my book.

Expo_Seeker40

It just sickens and sadens me right to the core that somebody...anybody...could colaberate with others to destroy a ride that a great man made with great people to entertain, amaze, and enlighten.

Sure it's just a ride, it's still a 20 minute GE comercial...even if they are long gone...but it's UNIQUE and SPECIAL. There is something about this ride for whatever reason...amazes me...and so many other out there.

It is historic and is of value. The reason in 2005 it is not of great value is due to the fact that "they"...not all of them..but those with financial power...have allowed a ride with such a respected past to crumble apart....piece by piece...broken curtain....unfuntional television of the 1940s...dusty theaters....old AA's...and fading audio...every little piece is gradually failing...

I can only hope and pray that truly someone out there in power can save this ride. It's not human, but it deserves to be around. It deserves an upgrade that doesn't make an audience spin in a theater with 3d screens at 80 mph...but a CoP that can make people so wowed like they were 41 years ago. Today audiences either reflect on what the CoP could be or once was...or zzzzzzz [which I can't blame them....I don't like the 1993/94 version too much.]

FYI....The Carousel of Progress "turned" ;) 41 years old on April 22, 2005

packwingfn

Heres my email I sent to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

After I read the article on D-Troops.com

Hello,

My name is Derek and I love Carousel of Progress.

I have been going to Walt Disney World 10 times in the 20 years that I have been around and Carousel of Progress is one of my favorite attractions in the Magic Kingdom. Everytime I go on that ride, it brings back nostagic feelings of when I was a little kid and I love that feeling and thats why I love Walt Disney World.

The past few times that I have been down there, It has been on "seasonal" operation, and I remember what happened to Horizons back in 1999 during "seasonal" operation.

Yes I am all for change but please do not get rid of the Carousel Of Progress, It is one of Walt's own creation that he used in the World's Fair and it would be unfair to Walt himself, may he rest in peace, that a great ride would be gone.

Thank you for your time,
A believer in the magic!
Derek

BwanaBob

General Grizz said:
AGAIN: this is only a rumor.

Discuss - and contact Disney showing your support for the attraction, if you please!
Ever get the feeling that our beloved General is beginning to take on a certain quality of a certain person who loves to start conversations that end in utter turmoil?!@?

Just call 555-4444.No Big whoop!

mickhyperion

As much as I hate to see classic attractions removed and sometimes replaced with lesser ones, I can't help but think that Walt Disney would be absolutely horrified to see this very dated, over 40 year old attraction sitting in Tomorrowland. Other nearby attractions may be nearly as old, but they still offer a worthwhile and imaginative look at the future. CoP almost belongs on Main Street USA now as it's so out of date and out of sync with the times. Even refreshing the final scene wouldn't make the attraction as a whole fit any better in Tomorrowland. It is pure nostalgia for the Disney diehards, like myself, but it has more than had its day.

A move to Epcot's Future World makes absolutely no sense either. It is a museum piece at this point. If they want to preserve it, they should move it to Disney-MGM Studios for lack of a better place.

ScrapIron

I rode the CoP in DL when I was seven. Don't remember much of my thoughts, but they were probably similar to the ones I had at the Lincoln show- "This isn't a ride, why are we even here?" This summer I'm hoping to see it again in WDW. I will be mildly disappointed if it's not open, but able to cope. I also welcome change IF the Imagineers are given the resources to do the job properly, and even if it means I can never again ride Adventure Through Inner Space.

I can't help but think that when some people (not you of course) talk about preserving Disney history, they're actually talking about preserving their own personal nostalgia. I think this a lot in reading the various CoP threads.

I don't doubt that Uncle Walt made the statement about having this attraction always in the park, and I'm certainly not going to try to read his mind. But I am capable of logical thought. Walt died in what, 1966 or 1967? The MK opened in 1971. The CoP at WDW opened in 1974 (and it's an original attraction?). Therefore, logic would suggest that he was talking about the CoP in DisneyLAND.

Well folks, it closed decades ago to become America Sings, which closed to become Innoventions. So, naturally, all the self-professed Disney preservationists are clamoring to return it to it's rightful [sic] place in Anaheim, right? There it is in the poll results, a whopping 3.07%!

Preserving Disney history, or preserving personal nostalgia? You decide.

Cheers.

Computer Magic

Only about 7% of the voters want to see CoP removed from WDW. Although not a scientific survery, it's nice to see so many people wanting it to stay in some form.

DisneySam

I love the COP its just part of the Magic Kingdom. I can see the point about updating with technology etc. but in some form, its such a classic. I just hope it is left somewhere. Maybe its me, but tearing out the classics could just be a horrible pattern to start.

DrWhat

Well, if it is true, I'll be bummed. I've usually gone to WDW off season and have never been able to catch the attraction.

no2apprentice

Lee said:
Where exactly did this quote come from? I have heard it passed around for years but I've never found any documentation for it.
General Grizz has alluded that it is recorded in the Disney Archives. Since the Disney Archives (from what I can determine...could be wrong) are only available to researchers, authors, historians, and certain employees of Disney, it makes it kind of hard to verify.

dox

I'd like to see it move to Epcot, but it needs some major re-working (although i seriously doubt Disney would spend the money transferring this attraction to Epcot). Sad to say, but COP no longer has the same appeal and there is a huge gap in time between the last two scenes. As a kid in the 70s and 80s it wasn't as noticeable as it is now. But truth be told, I miss the original Walt Disney World version that existed prior to the changes made in the 1990s. "Now is the Time" was a much better song and the altered (or original, I guess) scenes are a bit on the boring side. After the changes were made i think i've only been on COP, maybe twice. Even my family members have remarked that COP doesn't seem as entertaining. Personally, Disney has sabotaged this ride, not only by making unnecessary changes, but then making this a seasonal attraction. At this point, I hate to say it, but other than Disney fans like ourselves, no one would really miss this attraction.

Personally, I will miss it as I have so many fond memories of this attraction. I don't know why, but my family always tended to visit Tomorrowland only at night. We were rarely in that part of the park during the day. I always associated COP as one of the last things I did in the park. And it always seemed like a nice way to end a busy day. I remember often my brothers and I humming that tune as we left the park. Ahh well, at least i have my memories for now.

General Grizz

Original Poster
no2apprentice said:
General Grizz has alluded that it is recorded in the Disney Archives. Since the Disney Archives (from what I can determine...could be wrong) are only available to researchers, authors, historians, and certain employees of Disney, it makes it kind of hard to verify.
I'm trying to find a way to make some form of evidence available... and will put it up on this thread when I can do so. :)

IDreamOfDisney

An original

The CoP at WDW opened in 1974 (and it's an original attraction?). Therefore, logic would suggest that he was talking about the CoP in DisneyLAND.

Yes. It is an original ride. It first appeared at the 1964-65 Worlds Fair in New York. Was taken apart and moved to DL. It was taken apart again and moved to WDW in 1974. There is only one. While my memories are fading I did have the oppertunity to ride it in all three locations.

Jay

Save the COP

SpenceMan01

I LOVE COP!

Even my GF, who was at WDW for the first time in Jan., liked it. It's so nostalgic and is just plain classic. I can agree that some fixes need to be made. If COP is ever moved from it's current location, it would HAVE to retain the rotating theater feature though. It's a staple of the attraction (Hello: CAROUSEL of Progress). I think it would fit in nicely at Epcot.

Say, isn't the Odyssey building ROUND? :lookaroun

General Grizz

Original Poster
SpenceMan01 said:
I LOVE COP!

Even my GF, who was at WDW for the first time in Jan., liked it. It's so nostalgic and is just plain classic. I can agree that some fixes need to be made. If COP is ever moved from it's current location, it would HAVE to retain the rotating theater feature though. It's a staple of the attraction (Hello: CAROUSEL of Progress). I think it would fit in nicely at Epcot.

Say, isn't the Odyssey building ROUND? :lookaroun
Nope...but Wonders of Life is... :lookaroun

diddy_mouse

given that this is a new rumor (i know, i arrived late to the party on this one), i'm not too concerned for the time being. however, i do feel that CoP deserves a rehab, it seems to be the trend with older attractions. i'd say either give it a fresh rehab - or - send it to Epcot complete with fresh rehab. that only poses the question as to which Epcot attraction would leave if CoP were to find a new home over there. :lookaroun

Expo_Seeker40

Come on...the reason the CoP left Disneyland was due to General Electric getting concerned at how 80% of visitors to the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland USA were Californians. Even though the 1967 version was mildly upgraded more than updated still they would see the same show over and over again.

Yes...Walt said that the CoP would find a permanent home in Disneyland. So even after his death I guess one of his wishes...or assumptions was cancelled. GE knew the ride would do better back on the east coast. Not only could it serve as a substitute to Space Mtn, it would help complete tomorrowland, and most "importantly"
would use a new theme song and ending with the first three act's altered to make a more family friendly and less comercialized ride.

I wonder if they can make a new theater. God they've made three of them already in the past 41 years...I assume they can make solid theater walls, and only the actual theater moving so the building doesnt get as stressed...and to think the CoP originally started out as being on the second floor of a building...but that was NYC soil nor florida soil.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom