Carousel of Progress closing for refurbishment in late summer

Thrill

I'm gonna miss it...

Kidding. I expect it to re-open on schedule (to my dismay -- that's quite a short time for a refurbishment. It could use a couple months).

I say restore the original final scene. Accept that Disney will not keep that last scene ahead-of-date, and make the Carousel of Progress a nostalgic look at how the world progressed in the early 20th century. It's a Spaceship Earth-style look into our future, if you will. Until then, it would not take more than a few thousand to get things looking slightly modern (with the exception of the video game). At the bare minimum, new outfits for everyone (Grandpa doesn't even need a new one), a new laptop, some pairs of Google Glass to, re-dub "car phones" as "smartphones" and "Laserdiscs" to "Blu-ray Discs." Boom. Fairly modern, and ridiculously cheap (especially for Disney).

DisneyGentleman

Just do this and call it the Mad Men update.

ge_progress_5-jpg.51356

rct247

First off, Carousel of Progress isn't closing in the foreseeable future and certainly not with this refurbishment.

Secondly, this refurbishment will not see any changes to the script or show scenes.

This refurbishment will primarily be general cleaning, minor maintenance work, carpet/chair cushion replacement, some exterior paint, and some safety related additions/upgrades for the Cast.

216bruce

New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the family sitting around in updated 2014 clothing at Christmas in a state of the art living room/kitchen. They are all looking down at their smartphones. Music stops. Silence..........(Rover barks, family looks up for a moment)........Silence
Music starts and theater rotates to exit scene.
'There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...."
Crowd leaves looking down at their smartphones.
Beautiful!

sporadic

They should do a post apocalyptic theme for the last scene during Halloween and call it Carousel of Decline. Was thinking zombies, but that's getting a little old already.

jessfriends

I love COP.
A bit disappointing that nothing is being done to acknowledge it's 50th Anniversary this year, but understandable to some degree.

So, It's a Small World gets a huge celebration for its 50th anniversary, and CoP doesn't even get a mention. At least this renovation is showing Disney still cares.

At least they will have a shirt for it but it is only available online from April 22-27: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...g-to-disney-parks-online-store-in-april-2014/

I hope they fix the sound as the background music is too loud and it's hard to hear them talk. If they can do that along with an update to the last scene and new carpet and chairs I will be happy!

DisneyGentleman

New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the family sitting around in updated 2014 clothing at Christmas in a state of the art living room/kitchen. They are all looking down at their smartphones. Music stops. Silence..........(Rover barks, family looks up for a moment)........Silence
Music starts and theater rotates to exit scene.
Crowd leaves looking down at their smartphones.
Beautiful!
New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the now grossly overweight family sitting around in shorts and sandals, with loud t-shirts having some inane ads printed on them.
It's Christmas with a Charlie-Brown Christmas twig in a beat up living room/kitchen in a trailer park.
They are all wearing Magic Bands. Music stops. Silence...(Junior touches Magic Band to Rover and he barks on command.)...
Father touches his Magic Band to a beer and the cap pops off.
Mom touches Magic Band to TV and gets 5 more minutes of Honey Boo Boo.
Cousin Orville is heard over sound of flushing toilet "Can't use the facilities without a Magic Band anymore."
Daughter touches Magic Band to microwave oven and out pops a smoking pizza, and she exclaims "My Magic Band is pink!"
Grandma says "I can't imagine how anyone survived before the Magic Band" and everyone laughs.
The theater begins to turn as a haunted mansionesque funeral dirge begins to play...
Crowd leaves as the whole family holds up their Magic Bands in eerie robotic silence.

Last edited:
The video you see while waiting to enter the theater could use an update as well. When I was there last week I noticed that when the voice of Grandpa comes on he says "I had the honor of performing in the first showing of COP, some 30 years ago." As COP is celebrating 50 years, might be time to remove that line.

Communicore

New final scene: Theater rotates, music plays and we see the now grossly overweight family sitting around in shorts and sandals, with loud t-shirts having some inane ads printed on them.
It's Christmas with a Charlie-Brown Christmas twig in a beat up living room/kitchen in a trailer park.
They are all wearing Magic Bands. Music stops. Silence...(Junior touches Magic Band to Rover and he barks on command.)...
Father touches his Magic Band to a beer and the cap pops off.
Mom touches Magic Band to TV and gets 5 more minutes of Honey Boo Boo.
Cousin Orville is heard over sound of flushing toilet "Can't use the facilities without a Magic Band anymore."
Daughter touches Magic Band to microwave oven and out pops a smoking pizza, and she exclaims "My Magic Band is pink!"
Grandma says "I can't imagine how anyone survived before the Magic Band" and everyone laughs.
The theater begins to turn as a haunted mansionesque funeral dirge begins to play...
Crowd leaves as the whole family holds up their Magic Bands in eerie robotic silence.
Dad should be sitting in his scooter too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom