Carousel of Progress being evacuated

Frank Rizzo

Original Poster
Hi all I just got back from the world and to say I had a strange experience at Magic Kingdom would be an understatement. Everything went normal for the first couple sequences, and as the first full scene ended the music began to play. However, the the room did not begin to spin. People began to look around and wonder what was going on. Soon after an announcement was made that they were experiencing technical difficulties, and that we would be watching two shows in the first room. Everyone in the theatre chuckled a bit but nobody got up, as they said to remain seated. After another run through of the first scene, we moved right along to the second. After a few minutes of the second show, and mother got up to take her crying baby our of the room. This was a shock to me cause I have always believed that getting up during the show could mess with the motion lasers or something. After the room shifted to the third section, I thought we were back to normal however we weren't. Instead of moving to the Christmas scene that awaits in the next room, we were frozen again and this time people weren't being so patient. Families left and right were getting up as my mom looked to me to see a shake of the head no, as this was our last day and I wasn't going to let a little technical problem ruin the last view of Carousel I will have for a couple years. After the show restarted the 3rd scene, just about every other person in the room got up and left, leaving me and my mom all alone in there. It was quite a weird situation that I am sure I will never see again. A couple minutes later a CM came in and told us we had to evacuate as so many people leaving had made it seem like the show was a wasted effort. The only bright spot of the story was getting to be taken out of the room to the far right of Carousel, offstage, and getting to snap some quick pics. Thanks for listening to my story, and please respond if you have ever experienced anything like this at COP.

captainkidd

Yea, basically every time we watch it. I love the show, but a couple thoughts:

1.If Disney can't keep it running properly, close it until they can.
2.Disney needs to put up warning signs outside the attraction clearly stating that you can not stand up during the show, and if you do, it's cause for expulsion from the park.

Frank Rizzo

Original Poster
Yea, basically every time we watch it. I love the show, but a couple thoughts:

1.If Disney can't keep it running properly, close it until they can.
2.Disney needs to put up warning signs outside the attraction clearly stating that you can not stand up during the show, and if you do, it's cause for expulsion from the park.
Yes this was my first trip there in a couple years and I am hearing that it's becoming a problem the longer time goes on. And as long as people see a door that has EXIT over it, they are going to continue to take their crying kids and whatever reason they have to leave right out the door, no matter how many times the CM seating you tells you to please stay seated throughout the attraction. Its seriously 15 minutes long and if you can't devote that to sitting down and taking a little rest while enjoying Walt's favorite attraction, then don't enter in the first place.

KCheatle

That makes me sad! Who would ever want to leave COP! It's my all-time favorite attraction ever :rolleyes: It is in desperate need of some love though. I hope since it's one of Walt's original creations, they will find it in their budget to give it the tune-up it needs. Ahh...just hearing that story makes me wish I was there!

G00fyDad

Yes this was my first trip there in a couple years and I am hearing that it's becoming a problem the longer time goes on. And as long as people see a door that has EXIT over it, they are going to continue to take their crying kids and whatever reason they have to leave right out the door, no matter how many times the CM seating you tells you to please stay seated throughout the attraction. Its seriously 15 minutes long and if you can't devote that to sitting down and taking a little rest while enjoying Walt's favorite attraction, then don't enter in the first place.

It is the primary problem with this country today. Arrogance. "The rules are there for everyone EXCEPT me." I see this same type of person each day. "I can run the stop signs because what are you going to do, hit me??" Yes! That is exactly what is going to happen. People think that they can do whatever they want whenever they want and no one should be allowed to stop them or tell them what to do. I say warn them once, then remove them from the park if they do not listen.

TiggersPooh

every time someone leaves the show a CM must walk the entire attraction and if a rotation is missed the guests inside are to sit watching the same act...

Goofyernmost

What you probably experienced was someone leaving. You didn't see it because you weren't necessarily in the auditorium where it happened. You have to remember that there are 4 ahead of you and it could have happened in any one. Once the show stopped because of the first offense, others felt they could leave and were probably from a different audience so they didn't know why it stopped the first time either. And so on, and so on and so on. It will stop and have to be re-started every time those doors open.

If I remember correctly CM's used to ride the theater with you so the chances of that happening were much slimmer. Today you see a CM when you get on the ride and not again until you get off. I've ridden it many, many, many times and happily can say that stop/restart thing happened to me only once, but I know it's a common thing now with the "I haven't got time for this" generations.

Mrs. Jobson

We were there last month and this happened to us. Out of all the years I have been on this ride, it has never happened to me until this time. It was awful. One person decides to get up and leave and everyone else gets mad about seeing the same scenes and they decide to leave. At one point a large family of 30 decided to get up and leave and we all yelled at them to sit down. I think your right. Nobody has any patience anymore. It's sad.

I_heart_Tigger

I actually decided my last visit in April may be my last time on CoP. This has happened every single time in my last 11 times there. As far as I can tell it is always due to people leaving during the attraction as the announcements from the CM's tend to get more irrited as it continues.

On my last visit we had to sit through the first scene twice, the Halloween scene twice and the Christmas scene 3 times. The CM was telling everyone to thank the woman that was leaving for making them sit through the scene again. They also kept saying, "I guess you guys really enjoy this show since you keep standing up and making sure we can't move"

I just can't put myself through the torture of it anymore and can't waste 2 hours of my day to see it which is a shame since it used to be a favourite for my family.

EDIT: Ok I realize I was exaggerating a bit because of my major disappointment. It has only happened on my last 7 visits and I guess wouldn;t make it 2 hours wasted - maybe an extra 10 minutes or so, though which is enough to really annoy me when I just want to keep going to the next scene.

Bob Saget

Is there some sort of pre-show announcement along the lines of: "Once the show starts, you must stay seated the entire time..." similar to the one heard prior to Ellen's Energy Adventure? That seems to get the point across for Ellen's crowd (at least I've never seen anyone get up and try to leave during the middle of it...but nothing surprises me anymore).

rnese

I heard Rover got loose in the scene behind you and was running wild in the audience. For safety reasons, they had to evacuate!:)

Frank Rizzo

Original Poster
Is there some sort of pre-show announcement along the lines of: "Once the show starts, you must stay seated the entire time..." similar to the one heard prior to Ellen's Energy Adventure? That seems to get the point across for Ellen's crowd (at least I've never seen anyone get up and try to leave during the middle of it...but nothing surprises me anymore).
Maybe because on Ellen your actually seeing your movement. I guess on COP if people can't actually see themselves moving, they believe the inside of the theatre must be moving and they are free to go whenever they please.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What you probably experienced was someone leaving. You didn't see it because you weren't necessarily in the auditorium where it happened. You have to remember that there are 4 ahead of you and it could have happened in any one. Once the show stopped because of the first offense, others felt they could leave and were probably from a different audience so they didn't know why it stopped the first time either. And so on, and so on and so on. It will stop and have to be re-started every time those doors open.

If I remember correctly CM's used to ride the theater with you so the chances of that happening were much slimmer. Today you see a CM when you get on the ride and not again until you get off. I've ridden it many, many, many times and happily can say that stop/restart thing happened to me only once, but I know it's a common thing now with the "I haven't got time for this" generations.
See the solution is simple. A cast member in every theater to prevent people from doing as they please.

donaldtoo

See the solution is simple. A cast member in every theater to prevent people from doing as they please.

Nah, that would be too simple. What they REALLY need to do is install the same kinda' restraints they have in SGE. ;)

Honestly though, we've been on this attraction many times over the years and it has never stopped, even once. And, actually, I didn't even know this is how it worked in that situation, until I found this thread.

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, with all this talking, I've worked up quite a thirst. I think I'll take one of those newfangled trolleys down to the drug store soda fountain and meet the boys for a cold sarsaparilla. Oh...haha, I'm sorry, I forgot. We're drinking root beer now! Same kind of thing, different name. Well, that's progress for you. Speaking of progress...

Gt2BtheGoodLife

Well, with all this talking, I've worked up quite a thirst. I think I'll take one of those newfangled trolleys down to the drug store soda fountain and meet the boys for a cold sarsaparilla. Oh...haha, I'm sorry, I forgot. We're drinking root beer now! Same kind of thing, different name. Well, that's progress for you. Speaking of progress...

Thhherreee's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow is just a dream away! Man has a dream, and that's the start, he follows his dream, with mind at heart; and when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me! (sorry, I had to.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom