Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans - Riverside

MMCoffman

In September we are going to The World. Last year we stayed at Coronado Springs and LOVED it, but want to try something new. Things we liked/loved about Coronado Springs: the pools, the rooms (size and decor). Things we didn't like: the food court! We didn't think Coronado Springs was too spread out and we were in the building the farthest from El Centro, walking doesn't bother us, you expect it at The World :)

Things that are important to us: the pool!!, room decor, having a beach area!

We don't care how far we are from anything, we'll have a car. We don't care about the food on site too much, as we'll eat other places. We don't care about activities at the resort, we will only be visiting the pool and beach area.

So . . . . which one would you stay at and what are the pros and cons of each, if you've stayed at either one or both!!

THANKS!

erasure fan1

We love the food court at riverside, we eat there more than any other quick service at the resorts. CB has a good food court as well and I think the pool is better at CB.

Upvote 0

pop lover

we have stayed at Pop Century twice and Caribbean Beach once and loved Pop Century over Caribbean Beach. The food in the food court was fantastic at Pop Century and at Caribbean Beach there wasn't alot to pick from, the pool at Pop Century was more fun and the transportation was outstanding at Pop Century and at Caribbean Beach we waited over a half an hr one day for a magic kingdom bus. Caribbean Beach was very quiet but i believe was more aimed to adults then children beside the pool area.:)

Upvote 0

SallyShine

Have you considered French Quarter? They have a great pool and food court. The biggest draw for us is the size. No long walks to the room and only one bus stop. I think Riverside has 4. We've stayed at both and prefer French Quarter, hands down.

Upvote 0

DisneyWeather!

We did CB 4 yrs ago, RS 2 years ago, and are headed back to RS in August. Liked the food court at RS as well as or better than CB. Preferred the main pool at RS as well as the overall theme. Down side for you would be no beach area.

Upvote 0

durangojim

We disliked almost everything about riverside, especially the bus service. We much prefer pop to it, but of course prefer wl or bc tomjust about everything else.

Upvote 0

MMCoffman

Original Poster
Have you considered French Quarter? They have a great pool and food court. The biggest draw for us is the size. No long walks to the room and only one bus stop. I think Riverside has 4. We've stayed at both and prefer French Quarter, hands down.

Have not considered FQ, just read less favorable reviews on it. I guess it is smaller, but we don't mind walking. Also, we have our car, so bus stops aren't an issue. What are the theme(s) at FQ? Also what is the main pool like?

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

POFQ is themed like New Orleans, the food court is great! They just refurbished all the rooms and now have two queen beds in the rooms. Its right next to Riverside so you can hop a boat there or take the boat to downtown disney. You could also walk to Riverside along the river. The pool is great and has a dragon slide. Its our favorite resort and we have stayed at many. Some nights they have a jazz musician playing at the small bar, and he is not to be missed! Everyone there is the best.

Upvote 0

goofysgurl

I'm also going in September and have stayed at both PO resorts in the past. I really wanted to stay at POFQ but they didn't have any rooms available for the dates I chose. They have an amazing food court and pool - and they are small - which is a big win over PORS. We stayed at PORS last year and the bus service was awful - by the end of our trip Disney had called in Meers shuttles to help with the bus service to parks. The grounds are beautiful but the resort is really large and I didn't think the pool theme really catered to young children. This year we are trying the CBR for the first time. I have read extremely polarizing reviews of CBR and I am nervous but we could either have the BWI deluxe room for 7 days or 2 rooms at CBR for 10 (we're a family of 6) and I decided the pool at CBR and the extra days were worth the risk.

IMHO, if you can get a room at POFQ take it. There's no beach at either PO resort but - it's just sand...you can't swim at CBR beaches and the NO theme at POFQ is great! But if your choices are RS and CB - I would try CB...

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

If the pool is important to you, CBR has a nice pool, plenty of beach area and the rooms have been rehabbed recently. POR is just starting their rehab.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Neither PO Riverside or French Quarter have a beach type of area at all. CB does and based on that should be the one you go for. If you can move into the Deluxes, the Yacht and Beach Club is spectacular as far as a beach type atmosphere. Marie

Upvote 0

JillC LI

We're CBR lovers. If you want beach, that's the way to go, especially if you have a car like we usually do. Then the complaints about bus waits are irrelevant. Request a room in Aruba or Jamaica near the footbridge. It's a 5 minute walk to breakfast from three, and you get a beautiful view of the whole resort and beaches from the footbridge.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

as others have said, neither of the Port Orleans resorts has a beach area. Personally, Riverside is my favorite moderate. I also love their food court (used to be better back in the Dixie Landings days when they had real fried chicken as opposed to the same chicken strips you could get anywhere, I used to dream of that chicken and was really disappointed when I went back to see it gone). The pool is amongst WDW's best of any of the older resorts; WDW has really stepped up the game of late when it comes to themed pools and water play areas, but for a while Ol' Man Island tended to be ranked second only to Stormalong Bay at Y&BC as the best on property. The grounds are lovely, plenty of onsite amenities and the water launch to DTD is nice, too. I know, you have a car, but a night where, maybe, your whole party would like to have a few drinks with dinner and not have to worry about getting home, a night in the DTD area, maybe at Raglan Road, followed by a nice boat ride back to your resort is quite pleasant.

Upvote 0

CaptainJackNO

I have stayed at both and both are gorgeous resorts. However, a few things should be considered.
1. CBR is VERY spread out. If walking bothers you, this may not be your resort.
2. CBR has beautiful beaches, Riverside, to my knowledge, has none.
3. The food at Riverside is better.
4. The pool at CBR is amazing. Pirate themeing and such.
5. Totally different design. CBR is totally beautiful, island themes. POR is styled after plantations of the south, namely south Louisiana.

Both are beautiful. If I had to pick, I would take POR. Only by a hair. Not an easy decision.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom