Captain Marvel

erasure fan1

Based on her very public statements I don’t blame them. I can look past it to see if the movie ends up good anyway which is all I care about but other people are different.
Agreed, her public comments are not helping this movies case. If the movie doesn't do as well as it should, you can look no further than her comments. I'll admit, it's turned me off to this movie a bit.

LSLS

Agreed, her public comments are not helping this movies case. If the movie doesn't do as well as it should, you can look no further than her comments. I'll admit, it's turned me off to this movie a bit.

What did I miss? I have no idea what she said.

Mike S

What did I miss? I have no idea what she said.
She doesn’t care about the opinions of white men and doesn’t want to be interviewed by “overwhelmingly” white men.

Like I said before these same statements made by a dude but about any other group of people would cause a revolt. She’s lucky all that’s happening is “yeah, I just won’t go to the movie and I’ll say I’m not going online.”

Last edited:

LSLS

She doesn’t care about the opinions of white men and doesn’t want to be interviewed by “overwhelmingly” white men.

Like I said before these same statements made by a dude but about any other group of people would cause a revolt. She’s lucky all that’s happening is “yeah, I just won’t go to the movie and I’ll say I’m not going online.”

Was it twitter? All I have found is that she said it seems the press tours are always white males, and she is going to try to bring some diversity to it. Whatever, this is why I don't keep up with the stupid tabloids and press tours. I don't need to hear an actor/actress tell me how great their movie is.

mary2013

But what was the context of what she said? Was she responding to a question about the opinions of white men?

Was it twitter? All I have found is that she said it seems the press tours are always white males, and she is going to try to bring some diversity to it. Whatever, this is why I don't keep up with the stupid tabloids and press tours. I don't need to hear an actor/actress tell me how great their movie is.

The call for diversity among movie critics has been made by many people. The haters leave out the context of what she says to make her look like a nutjob.

This isn't directed at you Mike S. I've seen a couple of rants about her online, and just stopped reading them. So I don't know everything that's been said.

Tick Tock

I said the same thing in another thread about Brie's inappropriate comments, but was berated by a (go figure) armchair moderator penguin.

I feel no celebrity who, especially has a character serving as a role model to small children, should go on record saying I want less of (XYZ) solely due to race. It's 2019. We're bigger than this. Just my two cents.

As for the movie, it looks pretty darn good, and I plan to see it on opening weekend (hopefully), if not soon after. I'm curious as to who Captain Marvel is, where she was during events of Infinity War, and how it all comes together in Avengers 4.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Brie's remarks were in response to some of the guys pre-complaining about the girlification of super heroes by catering to a female lead. (The same crew complaining about a female lead in Star Wars.) Brie basically said, "fine, don't watch." Then with that heightened situation, she's confronted with an almost all male phalanx of interviewers and commented on it.

I think we know who the real snowflakes are.

Mike S

But what was the context of what she said? Was she responding to a question about the opinions of white men?

The call for diversity among movie critics has been made by many people. The haters leave out the context of what she says to make her look like a nutjob.

This isn't directed at you Mike S. I've seen a couple of rants about her online, and just stopped reading them. So I don't know everything that's been said.
Would context matter if the same sentiments were said about other groups? No, people would just grab their pitchforks. Absolutely everyone on social media is lightning fast to put out reactions and try to bury people into the ground and it drives me nuts. It’s why I don’t use it.

This is the point I’m making. If this were flipped, no one would care about context.

champdisney

Brie’s comments alone are enough for me not to go out and support Captain Marvel when released.

And if the film happens to flop... who on Earth do you think she’ll blame?

White men.

erasure fan1

Presales for CM have bypassed those for Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Opening weekend is expected to be $120 million.

Fantasies of failure are fantasies.
While I don't think it will be a failure just because of its ties to endgame. There still is a chance of it under performing. I don't put a lot of stock into pre-sale numbers. Heck, the Solo presale numbers doubled black panther in the first 24hrs, and look how that turned out. The numbers I see still have right about 100 million. The key is repeat viewers. As long as Brie keeps her trap shut, and the movie delivers, it will be fine. But if she continues to poke the bear, you could see that repeat viewership drop off. But either way I just don't see it failing as most will see it once just to prepare for endgame.

Princess Leia

I think it’ll hit $600-$700 million. Some people thought it would be a Black Panther level of success but I just don’t see it.
Took me a second to realize you mean Worldwide and not Domestic (BP hit $700M domestically)

I think you’re probably right, we’ll probably see Ant-Man & the Wasp numbers- over $600M. It’s the first film with Carol, but there’s an Infinity War/Endgame tie in, so that’ll help it do better than other first editions (not including Black Panther).

Mike S

Her attitude from the beginning was what turned many people away. Funny how both men and women welcomed with open arms the female lead of Gal Gadots Wonder Woman --yes, with "Woman" included in the title-- :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: in 2017.
Men and women were excited about Rey and fascination was high about who she was and where she came from. I get why some complained about her being all powerful with no training or background, but at the start the hype was real from both genders.
What about Katniss Everdeen from Hunger Games movie series? Not only one of the strongest female characters, but one of the strongest characters period in a popular franchise. Imo, of course.
Mulan? Men and women loved her.
Ripley from Aliens? Right up there with Katniss as one of Hollywoods greatest heros.
The same can be said about Sarah Connor.
Princess Leia. Jyn Erso.
Alita - Battle Angel --Great movie!! BTW
The list goes on of great female leads who were and still are loved by men and women. This imaginary war on women in powerful roles is just that -- imaginary -- minus a small fringe which you will find hating on anything in life. Captain America and Brie Larson would be on the above list too if she had not said some of the things she said. I still want the movie to succeed, because that is good for Marvel moving forward.
I believe you meant Captain Marvel.

And you forgot Hermione Granger.

erasure fan1

The list goes on of great female leads who were and still are loved by men and women. This imaginary war on women in powerful roles is just that -- imaginary --
Agree, agree, agree. I can't speak for all adult white males, but for myself, I have no male friends/cowoorkers/acquaintances
that have any issue with strong female characters. You start to have issues when you try forcing people to see how strong your character is. A great character is a great character regardless of gender.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom