Captain Marvel spoiler thread

Mike S

The Skrulls are too big to not use again. There have to be some evil Skrulls out there that will pop up again sometime.

As for the Marvel name- it might be something that she’s taken on in space?
If she’s made a name for herself in space I think Thanos would already know about her and is expecting her.

I should stop building up all this drama in my head though but it’s hard to stop.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
If she’s made a name for herself in space I think Thanos would already know about her and is expecting her.

I should stop building up all this drama in my head though but it’s hard to stop.
I mean, he’s worked with the Kree before, there’s a chance he’s heard of her.

The universe is a big place though. It took him years to catch up to the Guardians and Tony (somehow he had heard of Tony). While Carol could have fought some of Thanos’s children at one point or another, it doesn’t mean that he went after her himself. It was kind of established at the end of AoU that he’d given up on letting others do his work, and that he was finally getting in on the legwork himself.

The events of Infinity War happened pretty fast. Probably over the course of what, 4 or 5 days? We don’t know how quickly Nova fell, but the Guardians were shocked about it. If Carol was in another corner of the galaxy, then it seems pretty realistic to believe that she didn’t know what was happening... until people started turning to ash around her.

Mike S

I mean, he’s worked with the Kree before, there’s a chance he’s heard of her.

The universe is a big place though. It took him years to catch up to the Guardians and Tony (somehow he had heard of Tony). While Carol could have fought some of Thanos’s children at one point or another, it doesn’t mean that he went after her himself. It was kind of established at the end of AoU that he’d given up on letting others do his work, and that he was finally getting in on the legwork himself.

The events of Infinity War happened pretty fast. Probably over the course of what, 4 or 5 days? We don’t know how quickly Nova fell, but the Guardians were shocked about it. If Carol was in another corner of the galaxy, then it seems pretty realistic to believe that she didn’t know what was happening... until people started turning to ash around her.
There’s a deleted line where when Tony asks Thanos if he knows him Thanos responds “I know your soul” implying the Soul Stone gives him knowledge of every being in the universe.

Cosmic Commando

Speaking of retcons,

Carol “Avenger” Danvers.

Seriously, I rolled my eyes about as much as I did with the Han Solo name origin reveal. Some things are better left alone.
While I don't know if anything in recent memory is even in the same league as the "Solo" reveal, I definitely rolled my eyes with "Avenger". It was weird how it was tacked on at the end, too. You had me at hello, Marvel. Just stop talking.

Mike S

While I don't know if anything in recent memory is even in the same league as the "Solo" reveal, I definitely rolled my eyes with "Avenger". It was weird how it was tacked on at the end, too. You had me at hello, Marvel. Just stop talking.
The whole movie’s plot is also a retcon. In Avengers when Fury is outed by Cap for creating weapons similar to the ones Hydra made Fury uses Thor’s arrival to Earth as an excuse.
Last year, Earth had a visit from another planet that had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned.
Wouldn’t he have already learned this in ‘95? ;)

This is really my only gripe. They did so much to make it seem like the whole MCU revolves around her, even Fury losing his eye.

Cosmic Commando

The whole movie’s plot is also a retcon. In Avengers when Fury is outed by Cap for creating weapons similar to the ones Hydra made Fury uses Thor’s arrival to Earth as an excuse.

Wouldn’t he have already learned this in ‘95? ;)

This is really my only gripe. They did so much to make it seem like the whole MCU revolves around her, even Fury losing his eye.
I don't blame you if it bothers you, but I can explain it away by saying that in secret spy operations, information is always compartmentalized. If he can explain it in terms of Thor, then that's probably the easiest thing to do.

Mike S

I don't blame you if it bothers you, but I can explain it away by saying that in secret spy operations, information is always compartmentalized. If he can explain it in terms of Thor, then that's probably the easiest thing to do.
I don’t mean the explaining. I mean making weapons to fight aliens. Wouldn’t they have already started something like that after the arrival of the Kree? Idk it’s just weird to me. Just the nature of retcons I guess that they bring up unnecessary questions.

Thankfully this isn’t anywhere near as bad as what Fantastic Beasts pulled 🤮

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

I don’t mean the explaining. I mean making weapons to fight aliens. Wouldn’t they have already started someone like that after the arrival of the Kree? Idk it’s just weird to me. Just the nature of retcons I guess that they bring up unnecessary questions.

Thankfully this isn’t anywhere near as bad as what Fantastic Beasts pulled 🤮
Depends on when the final post-credits scene occurred... it might have hindered their progress on that front.

sedati

Didn't bother me, and I find it weird how often that gets brought up, whereas I hear little mention about how Mar-Vell is bastardized into Marvel because Nick Fury fancied the Marvelettes and their rendition of Mr. Postman. Why no outcry that the name that will eventually stick came about as a corny joke? (I also didn't mind this- in fact, now that I've sat on it a whole day, the only thing I didn't like was Nick Fury not at least splashing some Bactine on his festering wounds.)

Mike S

Didn't bother me, and I find it weird how often that gets brought up, whereas I hear little mention about how Mar-Vell is bastardized into Marvel because Nick Fury fancied the Marvelettes and their rendition of Mr. Postman. Why no outcry that the name that will eventually stick came about as a corny joke? (I also didn't mind this- in fact, now that I've sat on it a whole day, the only thing I didn't like was Nick Fury not at least splashing some Bactine on his festering wounds.)
I think it’s because anything else would’ve been too on the nose. The name gets bastardized either way as anyone who knows the history of the character is aware of. The true life reason is that Marvel wanted a hero with their companies name. In universe it’ll just be played off as a joke or mispronunciation. I like using a joke more.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I think it’s because anything else would’ve been too on the nose. The name gets bastardized either way as anyone who knows the history of the character is aware of. The true life reason is that Marvel wanted a hero with their companies name. In universe it’ll just be played off as a joke or mispronunciation. I like using a joke more.
They also jumped on it when DC’s Captain Marvel was out of circulation, forcing them to change their Captain Marvel series to Shazam.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
That was the only thing I liked when it came to ret-conning the series. Then again, I’m surprised that used that.

Mike S

The “Marvelettes” joke is kind weird though because as anybody whose anybody knows it is an objective fact that the best version of any song is when’s it’s sung by The Beatles ;)

sedati

That was the only thing I liked when it came to ret-conning the series. Then again, I’m surprised that used that.
What was ret-conned exactly? We hadn’t heard the origin of the Avengers Initiative name before, nor heard how Fury’s eye was damaged.

Mike S

What was ret-conned exactly? We hadn’t heard the origin of the Avengers Initiative name before, nor heard how Fury’s eye was damaged.
I think it’s the idea of going back and making everything about her. Before then it was assumed the Avengers initiative was because of Captain America “The First Avenger.”

For me as I’ve explained before it’s like Han Solo. Did we really need to know why “Solo” was his last name?

BrianLo

The way Ben Mendelson reacts when Goose scratches Nick Fury's Eye was suspicious to me. But no one really talks about that reaction...

I just wonder with the whole Flerken dimensional travel thing doesn't somehow tie into Endgame.

I still predominantly believe the dusted folks exist in a different reality. Can Nick Fury see between realities? Was it really just a completely meaningless exchange?

TBD April

sedati

I think it’s the idea of going back and making everything about her. Before then it was assumed the Avengers initiative was because of Captain America “The First Avenger.”

For me as I’ve explained before it’s like Han Solo. Did we really need to know why “Solo” was his last name?
I mean, Fury was looking for the right word and found it. Was it really all about her? They're not called Carol Danvers and the Danverettes.
Outside of marketing, when in film is Captain America called The First Avenger? And does this effect that anyway? Avenger is a common word. Her plane didn't declare her Carol "The First/Only/Prime Avenger" Danvers.

I think a lot is being made out of very little. And if you really want to go deep, again, why aren't people more upset then at what Fury gets away with? He takes her cat- that's supposed to be her Flerken isn't it?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom