Captain EO Soft Open To Public Today

dxwwf3

I remember talking to Eric Jacobson in 2003; around the time Alien Encounter was getting ready to close. He told me something like "we have other ideas for that show". I wonder if they would even consider bringing it back in another setting. I loved Alien Encounter and wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

That would be nice, but I would think the "other ideas" turned into SGE. I'd love for them to bring back either the characters or show ideas, but I wouldn't want to see them butchered into a show with the quality of SGE.

EpcotServo

The idea that Disney will have "egg on their face" for this one is absurd. When HISTA Closed it was running in 30 Min. intervals. (Meaning after one 17 Minute show, and empty 17 block would remain empty, then fill up the next one.) This artificial packing undercuts the actual capacity of the attraction and doubles the attendence for each show. It's a big favorite of Disney World, and you can see it in action at Impressions De France, which pretty much runs full houses now every night.

Captain EO is back running at it's actual capacity with shows every 17 Mins. And if they are also packed 3/4ths in there like HISTA for EVERY show, that means instantly Eo on the first day had double the attendance.

There won't be any huge lines with people pouring out into the streets (Except for merch) because the theater holds nearly 2,000 people, with the ability to hold another 2 in the preshow EVERY 17 Mins. Not 30. And in the end, if Eo has a nice steady attendance, it's already topped HISTA because it isn't packing.

And also if it means anything I did the first show and one around 3:00, and the audience reception both times were pretty great. It's really still a fun show.

dxwwf3

The idea that Disney will have "egg on their face" for this one is absurd. When HISTA Closed it was running in 30 Min. intervals. (Meaning after one 17 Minute show, and empty 17 block would remain empty, then fill up the next one.) This artificial packing undercuts the actual capacity of the attraction and doubles the attendence for each show. It's a big favorite of Disney World, and you can see it in action at Impressions De France, which pretty much runs full houses now every night.

Captain EO is back running at it's actual capacity with shows every 17 Mins. And if they are also packed 3/4ths in there like HISTA for EVERY show, that means instantly Eo on the first day had double the attendance.

There won't be any huge lines with people pouring out into the streets (Except for merch) because the theater holds nearly 2,000 people, with the ability to hold another 2 in the preshow EVERY 17 Mins. Not 30. And in the end, if Eo has a nice steady attendance, it's already topped HISTA because it isn't packing.

And also if it means anything I did the first show and one around 3:00, and the audience reception both times were pretty great. It's really still a fun show.

Couldn't have said it any better myself :sohappy:

misterID

Since I made the comment I guess I should say that I wasn't jumping for joy that it was being reported there were no lines for it. I said that thinking that it would be funny in TDO being a Johnny come lately to EO in a desperate cash grab moment, that it wasn't being considered a big deal in Orlando (is it?) and there were no lines. If its actually packed for every show, good for them. I was just going on what was being reported.

It was just a joke. Nothing too absurd about it :lookaroun

RogueHabit

Interesting to see that any of the Captain EO Signs and Merch do not say TRIBUTE on them as DL's Version does.
That's because the WDW Engineering Services kept the original signs in thier offices after the attraction closed originally.

Only WDW have the original signs.

MythBuster

That's because the WDW Engineering Services kept the original signs in thier offices after the attraction closed originally.

Only WDW have the original signs.

Yes, they were kept as souvenirs originally, but most people didn't know about it, so when Captain EO came back. They decided to just repaint them and re use them, another cost cutting move.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, they were kept as souvenirs originally, but most people didn't know about it, so when Captain EO came back. They decided to just repaint them and re use them, another cost cutting move.

Sometimes restoration of an original costs more than commissioning a new piece of art work.

DisneyNut2007

I remember talking to Eric Jacobson in 2003; around the time Alien Encounter was getting ready to close. He told me something like "we have other ideas for that show". I wonder if they would even consider bringing it back in another setting. I loved Alien Encounter and wouldn't mind seeing it come back.

But you know that it's not going to. AE was just not suitable for the MK.

It had to go. It's for the best.

tecowdw

I didn't read through this whole thread, so I may have missed that information, but how long were the lines?

Saturday they were non-existent around the 10 am hour. We walked right in and the theater was only half full, if that.

I had never seen Captain EO before so I looked forward to seeing it Saturday. While it was good to see (and remember MJ at his best), it was a bit cheesy in today's world. Walked away with a "very 80's" vibe in my head.

I would say alot of the younger families coming to Epcot these days are most familiar with MJ from his bad 90's decade. They probably don't much desire to see an old movie from someone they know from those days. I hear Caption EO is very popular in Disneyland but I don't think it is going to play the same in Florida. It will be interesting to see how long it plays at Epcot.
Perhaps it's time to demolish the whole darn pavilion and start with a fresh new idea!
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say that as generations go by, MJ will become quite unfamiliar to most. Many I'm sure are now disgusted by him also. Sadly, his music won't matter to many.
:(

tecowdw

Have people forgotten about The Beatles and Elvis too?

Not forgotten, just not remembered for the glory they had once.

Besides, I don't think the Beatles or Elvis were involved in child molestation charges/trial as young adults now will remember about MJ. They won't likely understand his Thriller glory days.

dxwwf3

Besides, I don't think the Beatles or Elvis were involved in child molestation charges/trial as young adults now will remember about MJ. They won't likely understand his Thriller glory days.

Young people remember MJ's music. I taught 8th grade last year and most of the kids knew all of the songs and would ask for me to play them while they were working in class. I was kind of surprised myself and I know I'm just talking about one small area, but if it was like that in my class, I would assume it would be like that all around the country.

tecowdw

Young people remember MJ's music. I taught 8th grade last year and most of the kids knew all of the songs and would ask for me to play them while they were working in class. I was kind of surprised myself and I know I'm just talking about one small area, but if it was like that in my class, I would assume it would be like that all around the country.

Kind of like people know Beatles & Elvis music, I'd say. They know the music, they don't know the true artists for what they were.

wizards8507

As a 21-year old college student, my experience has been that Elvis is acknowledged but not particularly enjoyed, MJ is neither acknowledged NOR enjoyed, save one or two songs, and the Beatles remain more popular than any crap they throw on top-40 radio these days.

TinkerBell9988

True, no child molestation charges for either musical legends, but lets not forget... Elvis's personal life was far from squeaky clean and some members of the Beatles had scandalous escapades of their own, including political protests and drug use... (I'm a young adult at 21 years old and I know this about these artists... :lol: )

Can we get this thread back on track and discuss Captain EO, the attraction, and not Michael Jackson, the person? Yes, they are related, but they are two different subjects. Are we going to begin criticizing other celebrities that have a presence in Disney theme parks, such as Robin Williams or Ellen Degeneres? Actors' personal lives should have no reflection on success of attractions or their enjoyability.

:D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
True, no child molestation charges for either musical legends, but lets not forget... Elvis's personal life was far from squeaky clean and some members of the Beatles had scandalous escapades of their own, including political protests and drug use... (I'm a young adult at 21 years old and I know this about these artists... :lol: )

Can we get this thread back on track and discuss Captain EO, the attraction, and not Michael Jackson, the person? Yes, they are related, but they are two different subjects. Are we going to begin criticizing other celebrities that have a presence in Disney theme parks, such as Robin Williams or Ellen Degeneres? Actors' personal lives should have no reflection on success of attractions or their enjoyability.

:D

Disney sure distanced themselves quickly when Jeffrey Jones was convicted of being a sexual predator by immediately shuttering Alien Encounter.

dxwwf3

I really don't think Jones is a big enough name or is recognizable enough in the AE films for that to have ever been an issue. I think illiterate parents are a lot more to blame than Jones.

wizards8507

I really don't think Jones is a big enough name or is recognizable enough in the AE films for that to have ever been an issue. I think illiterate parents are a lot more to blame than Jones.

This thread has been off topic since page two, so what the hell?

What do you mean "illiterate parents?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom