Captain EO is coming back to EPCOT in the end the year!

Figment632

While closing down WoL was not the best way to procure this extra space, as a guest who has been partaking in specifically the Food and Wine festival for the past 8 years in a row, I can tell you that they were busting at the seams in the hallways of Innoventions.

You can blame the implementation of the festival expansion, but the need for more space, at least to the casual observer that I am, was a legitimate concern.

To my knowledge other areas of Epcot are also being used as well (Odyssey for various chef demonstrations, Millenium Villiage for Party for the Senses).

To be completely honest, now that WoL has no hope of coming back, I wish they would do more with the building to make it fit the themes of the festival center it is. Right now it is very obvious that it use to be something else neither related to food or wine.

So have it in WOL clear out the center and shut down minor attractions while the festival goes on keep open BW and CC, TDO was cheap when it comes to WOL there is no other way to look at it.

jakeman

So have it in WOL clear out the center and shut down minor attractions while the festival goes on keep open BW and CC, TDO was cheap when it comes to WOL there is no other way to look at it.
I'm sure it was a multilayer decision that ultimately had to do with cost that lead to the converstion of WoL to a Festival Center.

However, WoL was extremely dated in almost every aspect. Body Wars was ridiculously inaccurate. Craninum Command, which I loved, was an early 90s pop culture lesson. Not to mention the overall athetics of the building were something out of DJ Tanner's bedroom from Full House. Other than a complete gutting of the pavilion, I don't see how the problems could be addressed.

So you have two immensely popular festivals busting at the seams for more room and you have a hopelessly outdated pavilion with no sponsor that would take at the minimum The Land level refurbishment to make it remotely viable again.

It may be cheap, and it may be unpopular with fans that are clearly a small minority, but from a business perspective, it is hard to argue with the logic.

I'm not defending the decisions. I would personally have like to see another multipurpose space built somewhere and WoL updated, but I can completely understand why it was made.

However, to simply say "TDO was cheap" is a sophmoric analysis and precludes any real understanding of why a decision may have been made.

Besides, I'm fine with it because I don't want Martin Short explaining the birds and the bees to my 11 year old. :p

Figment632

I'm sure it was a multilayer decision that ultimately had to do with cost that lead to the converstion of WoL to a Festival Center.

However, WoL was extremely dated in almost every aspect. Body Wars was ridiculously inaccurate. Craninum Command, which I loved, was an early 90s pop culture lesson. Not to mention the overall athetics of the building were something out of DJ Tanner's bedroom from Full House. Other than a complete gutting of the pavilion, I don't see how the problems could be addressed.

So you have two immensely popular festivals busting at the seams for more room and you have a hopelessly outdated pavilion with no sponsor that would take at the minimum The Land level refurbishment to make it remotely viable again.

It may be cheap, and it may be unpopular with fans that are clearly a small minority, but from a business perspective, it is hard to argue with the logic.

I'm not defending the decisions. I would personally have like to see another multipurpose space built somewhere and WoL updated, but I can completely understand why it was made.

However, to simply say "TDO was cheap" is a sophmoric analysis and precludes any real understanding of why a decision may have been made.

Besides, I'm fine with it because I don't want Martin Short explaining the birds and the bees to my 11 year old. :p

I agree with everything you say but to type all that out everytime is to much work.

jakeman

I agree with everything you say but to type all that out everytime is to much work.
"TDO is cheap" is just a shallow catch-all that paints an entire management system with the same brush. It also make is very easy to dismiss such criticism as stereotypical fanboy posturing (I'm not saying that was your intent, just that is how it could be received).

In this particular case I don't think they were cheap, they just took the easy way out, which is completely different, but in some ways equally disappointing.

Not family entertainment

I remember EO from when I was a kid. I was terrified of the "electrifying" scene. This film is much more violent than HISTA. Has anyone mentioned this? I won't take my kids to see it, although I might have taken them to HISTA. I also think MJ has not lived a life up to Disney's family-oriented standards. Disney is really selling out their values here with this decision.

Hrudey3032

I remember EO from when I was a kid. I was terrified of the "electrifying" scene. This film is much more violent than HISTA. Has anyone mentioned this? I won't take my kids to see it, although I might have taken them to HISTA. I also think MJ has not lived a life up to Disney's family-oriented standards. Disney is really selling out their values here with this decision.

Would you let your kids watch Star Wars?

imagineer boy

What "electrifying scene"? I don't recall that. :confused: And I certainly wouldn't call it more violent than HISTA. Neither ones are violent. :lol:

What "electrifying scene"? I don't recall that. :confused: And I certainly wouldn't call it more violent than HISTA. Neither ones are violent. :lol:

About 10 min in. Much scarier when I was a kid. :lookaroun MJ is surrounded by the Supreme Leader's soldiers. I kept thinking she was going to zap him, but he zaps all of them... Maybe more horror/scary than violent I guess. You are right about that.

I would certainly call it more scary than HISTA. Do you have a Supreme Leader evil queen with long nails hooked up to electrical cords in HISTA?

imagineer boy

About 10 min in. Much scarier when I was a kid. :lookaroun MJ is surrounded by the Supreme Leader's soldiers. I kept thinking she was going to zap him, but he zaps all of them... Maybe more horror/scary than violent I guess. You are right about that.

Ah I see.

I would certainly call it more scary than HISTA. Do you have a Supreme Leader evil queen with long nails hooked up to electrical cords in HISTA?

I have to admit, as cheesy and 80's the rest of Captain Eo is, the supreme leader is so friggin cool! I mean, she is seriously one of the coolest characters ever. And yes, she is scary too. Some say she was the inspiration for the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact.

Schindler's list is a classic too.

I would definitely have them view that too, if they wanted to, and when the time is right. Are you suggesting including Schindler's List somehow into the Disney experience? Do you envision the GMR with a corpse room complete with decomposing body scent? Of course not! That would not be appropriate for children. Right?:lookaroun

My point is that Walt intended the parks to be family-friendly. EO and specifically MJ are not friendly for my family.

PhantomX

Can't wait for the Micheal Jackson Monorail overlay. I want it to look like he is moonwalking all over future world.

oh man that would be awsome.

Is this the first time in Epcot Center History (WDW history?) that an attraction was resurrected?? This will be a positive improvement over HISTA (the attraction that led the downfall of Future World and the EC name). It also destroys the imagination institute theme which many people have been wanting.

and remember if Captain EO can come back so can Dreamfinder :animwink:

RobGraves

Man... if you all want to hate on MJ for the accusations against him, and how its not Disney Family Freindly and "what walt wanted"....

Maybe you should check out some of Kenneth Anger's stories about Walt himself...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Man... if you all want to hate on MJ for the accusations against him, and how its not Disney Family Freindly and "what walt wanted"....

Maybe you should check out some of Kenneth Anger's stories about Walt himself...

Yeah, because he's a reliable and objective source....

RobGraves

Yeah, because he's a reliable and objective source....

As opposed to? Greedy money hungry families who see dollar signs in their eyes?

Why be more apt to believe one accuser over the other.

Anger never tried to blackmail Disney over it, and in fact, never mentioned it in his books... just a topic he discussed when the name came up. so since Anger never attempted to profit from it, and the families who accused MJ did... who should be believed more?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As opposed to? Greedy money hungry families who see dollar signs in their eyes?

Why be more apt to believe one accuser over the other.

Anger never tried to blackmail Disney over it, and in fact, never mentioned it in his books... just a topic he discussed when the name came up. so since Anger never attempted to profit from it, and the families who accused MJ did... who should be believed more?

No, Anger just made sensational accusations in interviews against Walt Disney to help promote his works. Anything to get his name in print and help sell his wares, I suppose. Projecting his personal beliefs and lifestyle on someone dead for 40 years doesn't exactly make him a paradigm of virtue and honesty.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom