Captain EO final show on 12/6 - Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival to be the replacement

ABQ

Captain EO was a special case of wasted talent though. With so many talented people involved from Francis Coppola, George Lucas and renowned choreographer Jeffery Hornaday to Michael Jackson and Anjelica Huston. The score was even done by James Horner!

Yet even with all of that high-profile talent on-board, the project still somehow turned out to be a trainwreck.
Not just the talent was high profile, wasn't the budget equally as ludicrous?

FerretAfros

Not just the talent was high profile, wasn't the budget equally as ludicrous?
Yes, it was. I believe it was $17 million for a 17-minute film, making it frame-for-frame the most expensive film ever created at the time (though I would hope some of that budget went to building DL's theater and upgrading Epcot's)

But compared to how Disney throws hundreds of millions at box office flops these days, that's really nothing in comparison

DisneyDebRob

Glad to see this finally happening. IMO it should have never been brought back. With all the brilliant imaginears there it's a wonder why something amazing hasn't replaced it.
At this point I would be in favor of them turning it into a permanent craft beer area.:rolleyes:

Prince Thomas

Glad to see this finally happening. IMO it should have never been brought back. With all the brilliant imaginears there it's a wonder why something amazing hasn't replaced it.
At this point I would be in favor of them turning it into a permanent craft beer area.:rolleyes:
It was brought back cause the legend MJ died the previous year

wdwfan4ver

I am happy, but cautious in this case. Captain EO shouldn't been brought back based on how dated the attraction was despite how the fanbase wanted the attraction back after Michael died.

Captain EO brought back from my view as a quick cash grab since Disney decided to sell Captain EO merchandise after they opened the attraction and took advance Michael Jackson's rise of popularity after his death.

I could see Disney add a Inside out attraction where Captain EO is, but Epcot is also known to have stuff close and never use the spot year round again.

Haymarket2008

But in all seriousness, what's the plan for this space/pavilion? They've got quite a bit of company funding recently, correct? Im assuming something must be coming if they're closing down another attraction so close to Soarin's refurbishment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hopefully something as revolutionary and as cutting edge as Eo was when it opened will replace it.

Track records say otherwise but we live In hope.

THIS - In the 80's it was truly groundbreaking decent 3D synchronized to motion effects and the Geiger inspired queen was also quite amazing (and got recycled in ST 'First Contact'), Now it seems cheesy but at the time it was before it's time, 3D camera tech did not really evolve till Cameron and Avatar.

Yes it's time for it to fade into Yesterland but it leaves a gaping hole which we all assume Disney will NOT fill

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom