captain eo broken

Tigger1988

His influence even reached the hard rock and metal world.

From an article titled:
Alice in Chains Say Michael Jackson Influenced Everybody - Even Slipknot

"He had an influence on everybody," Kinney says. "How could you be alive for the last 30 years and not know about Michael Jackson, or heard some of his songs? Even if you're some death metaller guy, don't feel like you can't tell your friends you liked [Jackson's 1979 LP] 'Off The Wall.'"

"(Slipknot vocalist) Corey Taylor has a tattoo of 'Off the Wall' on his back," points out Cantrell, laughing. "So, even Slipknot were fans, I guess."

In case you're unfamiliar with Slipknot, they're these guys.
bcvbc.jpg

Far from your typical "pop tarts".

stlbobby

From an article titled:

"He had an influence on everybody," Kinney says. "How could you be alive for the last 30 years and not know about Michael Jackson, or heard some of his songs? Even if you're some death metaller guy, don't feel like you can't tell your friends you liked [Jackson's 1979 LP] 'Off The Wall.'"

"(Slipknot vocalist) Corey Taylor has a tattoo of 'Off the Wall' on his back," points out Cantrell, laughing. "So, even Slipknot were fans, I guess."

bcvbc.jpg

I said you would find a handful of artists in metal and other genres, but no matter what Cantrell says most metal heads are not into MJ.

I also know for a fact that some artists jumped on the MJ bandwagon after his death just to get their name in the press. I know this because I was working on a music video with a major label artist at the time of MJ's death and he was laughing at all the musicians jumping on the MJ bandwagon to look cool and diverse.

Again I'm not saying he had no influence. He was huge, but I think you are just overstating it a bit.

Tigger1988

Posts about working about major label artists without offering details are useless, anyone on the internet can claim they work with big name people so that "fact" is pointless in this discussion.

I don't think I'm overstating a thing, I didn't say everyone ever was influenced by him. Most artists who followed him were influenced by him in one way, shape, or form. I even provided you with the most unlikely of examples, who would think the men in those gory masks enjoyed the gloved one?

stlbobby

Posts about working about major label artists without offering details are useless, anyone on the internet can claim they work with big name people so that "fact" is pointless in this discussion.

I don't think I'm overstating a thing, I didn't say everyone ever was influenced by him. Most artists who followed him were influenced by him in one way, shape, or form. I even provided you with the most unlikely of examples, who would think the men in those gory masks enjoyed the gloved one?

I have worked for almost fifteen years in film and video production as a freelancer--working project to project--in St. Louis. I now live in Greensboro, North Carolina and I'm starting a new full-time job at UNC School of the Arts film department on Monday.

I worked grip/electric mostly, but also PA and art department. I also worked in above the line roles on independent projects. I'm not claiming to be a Hollywood mover and shaker. I mostly lifted heavy stuff on corporate videos and local commercials, but occasionally a big music video, national spot, or movie would come through and I would lift heavy stuff on that.

The artist was one of the guys from Wilco, I'm not saying who because it was a private conversation, which is why I didn't say so at first. I was on a small video shoot getting b-roll and general interview stuff in rural Illinois that was used in conjunction with the band's Wilco album.

If you want pm me and I will send you my resume and IMDB link.

Tigger1988

No, I don't really care enough to know more. Just saying, sometimes if you can't elaborate, don't mention anything at all. The whole "I worked with someone, but I won't say who" is offputting.

I'm heading to bed, night.

David S.

Rock? Michael Jackson? Oh really? Don't recall any of that.

Beat it, Dirty Diana, Black or White.

Those were the same songs I was going to say! "Give In To Me" is another. There was definitely an electric guitar/rock feel to some of his songs. Not the majority, but some.

Personally, I've always enjoyed Michael's music, going back all the way to the Jacksons and his first major solo album, Off The Wall. My favorite era of his career is the three Quincy Jones-produced solo albums - Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad. I think the production, writing, arrangements, rhythms, and melodies are all very well done on these.

I'll leave it to everyone else to debate who is the "most culturally influential" between MJ, Elvis, the Beatles, etc. Personally, I'm a HUGE Beatles fan - more of their colorful, "psychadelic", later years of studio experimentation (Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road) than the early, simple, "Hold Your Hand" stuff.

But I will say I remember the impact Thriller had in the 80's. Michael crossed racial and generational barriers in a way I had never seen before. Blacks and whites at school were all talking about and listening to the SAME music - his music. People one and even TWO generations older than me who hadn't followed pop music in years were buying and enjoying his albums. I think that's a pretty impressive achievement that at least places him in the discussion of "most influential" when you consider the longevity of his career going back to his childhood.

Getting back to the topic of Captain Eo, I am looking forward to the chance to see it again in a few weeks. It's not often you get a chance to experience a Disney park attraction after it closes the first time.

As a HISTA fan, I'd like that to come back eventually, as well!

stlbobby

No, I don't really care enough to know more. Just saying, sometimes if you can't elaborate, don't mention anything at all. The whole "I worked with someone, but I won't say who" is offputting.

I'm heading to bed, night.

I understand what you are saying. I didn't think it was a big enough or radical enough insider statement when I typed it, but I guess it could be read as such.

And again I'm not saying MJ wasn't huge, he was a cultural phenomenon. I just didn't like him.

Grizzly Hall 71

From an article titled:

bcvbc.jpg

Well Tater, he did influence some rock.

Thanks Tigger :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom