captain eo broken

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There's nothing to get over, as the facts are there. All I said was if you really don't think MJ had a huge impact on music, and put people like lady gaga in the same breath as him, then this is a wasteful argument. Elvis was well established, but he didn't have the impact that MJ had.

And I'm not a huge MJ fan either, but even a casual person would tell you that MJ was one of the biggest stars in music. So maybe you are the one that needs to get over it. :cool:

Good God you are full of yourself. To say the MJ had more of an impact than Elvis is just crazy.

And to think that of all the people that I added to the list that were of questionable impact on the music industry you picked probably the number two artist that was legit. Obviously you have no idea what constitutes an impact and contribution to the industry.

End of conversation....bye-bye

Grizzly Hall 71

Good God you are full of yourself. To say the MJ had more of an impact than Elvis is just crazy.

And to think that of all the people that I added to the list that were of questionable impact on the music industry you picked probably the number two artist that was legit. Obviously you have no idea what constitutes an impact and contribution to the industry.

That's your opinion. Some people think Mile had a larger impact.

The King of Pop vs. The King of Rock

2 different genres. But mike not only pop but also r&b, rock, and some hip hop. While Elvis really only inspired rock.

Grizzly Hall 71

That groups outside of rock are in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Try a better argument....

Mike did rock that's my point you bringing up the supremes was just so off topic and not needed. I know you dislike me but you don't always have to pop up once in awhile to remind me.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Mike did rock that's my point you bringing up the supremes was just so off topic and not needed. I know you dislike me but you don't always have to pop up once in awhile to remind me.

No, actually you brought up the Jackson Five ("mike and his brothers"), who were not a "rock" group. Try to keep up with you own supposed pronouncements....

And truthfully, I don't give you enough thought to have an opinion one way or another. There's plenty of other people who have come to the realization of your true "self" however..........

the-reason14

No its not. To say MJ didn't have an impact is crazy. What rock were you living under in the 80s? I'm not even an 80s kid and I know MJ did more in the music scene then any other artist. MJ crossed color lines, what lines did Elvis cross? From what I heard, he was one of many artist who stole music from black artists.

This has nothing to do with being full of myself, I'm just pointing out the facts, mixed in with my opinion. Let me try and break it down for you, thriller a MJ album is the top selling album ever with over 106 million units sold. That is a fact. MJ had more of an impact than elvis, is my opinion. So you can crucify my opinion all you want, but until you try to convince me otherwise instead of saying I'm "full of myself" for thinking that, then the opinion still stands. So I'm just getting started so get ready to say "Hello."

Spreading the cool :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Tigger1988

While Elvis was (and still is) wildly popular and no doubt, an icon. He did nothing (musically) that hadn't been done before, he openly stole from black artists of the time and made a killing off it.

MJ just...changed things. He turned music videos from just stock footage of live performances to an artform, his videos were mini films. (Something we're now seeing again with Lady Gaga, love her or hate her).

The records he set for Thriller will likely never be topped.

When it comes to things like this you don't have to like an artist to recognize the impact they've had.

Tater48

Beat it, Dirty Diana, Black or White.
That's why he and his brothers were inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame. So yes I did say rock.
I could go on further.

Maybe you should go on further. There are record producers in the Rock and roll Hall of Fame, does that make them Rock Stars? Keep listing and I'll let you know when you list some Rock. Rock? Not hardly.

the-reason14

While Elvis was (and still is) wildly popular and no doubt, an icon. He did nothing (musically) that hadn't been done before, he openly stole from black artists of the time and made a killing off it.

MJ just...changed things. He turned music videos from just stock footage of live performances to an artform, his videos were mini films. (Something we're now seeing again with Lady Gaga, love her or hate her).

The records he set for Thriller will likely never be topped.

When it comes to things like this you don't have to like an artist to recognize the impact they've had.

Amen. And I agree.

stlbobby

That must be why he influenced nearly every artist who came after him.

The Beatles had plenty of songs full of "repetitive nonsense" but I'd never question their artistic value.

Every artists? Really? I admitted he was immensely popular and had a big influence but, I think you are overstating it a bit.

The difference between the Beatles' repetitive music and MJ's is the lyrics. Even at their worst the Beatles words were much deeper than MJ's. And I wouldn't put the Beatles at the apex of musical artistry.

For you to call his music repetitive shows you really didn't hear enough of his music, but maybe a few of his famous songs.

I own both Thriller and Off the Wall and ABC from The Jackson 5. I hate his music but I collect records and picked them up cheap. I also make it a practice to listen to every record at least once. Additionally I have heard a ton of his stuff over the years on the radio and my mother played the Thriller album at least 1000 times during my childhood, probably one of the reasons I hate him. Seriously.

As far as the Elvis vs MJ argument I think I can offer an objective opinion, because I hate them both. Both men took a simple pop music and mostly through charisma enthralled their respective generations. Both sold a ton of records and had a tremendous effect on banal insipid pop music. Neither wrote the bulk of their music, both relied heavily on their producers to craft their music, and both mixed genres and crossed racial lines. Both were way more about theater than the actual music. That is why Elvis relied on the jumpsuits, scarves, and shaking his hips, and MJ really made his name through videos. I think it is pretty much a wash as they were both pretty much the same guy.

Tigger1988

Every artists? Really? I admitted he was immensely popular and had a big influence but, I think you are overstating it a bit.

The difference between the Beatles' repetitive music and MJ's is the lyrics. Even at their worst the Beatles words were much deeper than MJ's. And I wouldn't put the Beatles at the apex of musical artistry.

1. funny how you chose to ignore the word "nearly". Look up interviews from just about every major popular artist (or even minor artists, if you care to dig) and when asked about their influences more often than not MJ is mentioned. He inspired not only musicians but dancers as well.

2. Yeah "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is really one deep record. As a Beatles lover I can admit that's a load of bull, they had plenty of songs that were nothing but pure fluff.

stlbobby

1. funny how you chose to ignore the word "nearly". Look up interviews from just about every major popular artist (or even minor artists, if you care to dig) and when asked about their influences more often than not MJ is mentioned. He inspired not only musicians but dancers as well.

2. Yeah "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is really one deep record. As a Beatles lover I can admit that's a load of bull, they had plenty of songs that were nothing but pure fluff.

I'm not defending the Beatles you brought them up. I still think you are way overestimating his influence. Even if you qualify it with nearly I think his influence is still relegated to the Brittaney Spears, Madonna, New Kids on the Block, Jonas Brothers, and other pop tart artists. With some reach into R&B, rap, and light rock and roll.

I doubt his reach extends very deeply into country, metal, blue grass, punk, and a dozen other genres. I'm sure there are a handful of artists in those arenas that will claim his influence, but by and large MJ isn't relevant to those genres.

As far as inspiring dancers I don't care. The ability to dance has nothing to do with music. That's the problem with pop music it's all about the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom