Captain America 4

Phroobar

How do you measure success v the other movies ?
By world wide grosses:

Captain America: The first Avenger made $370,569,744
Captain America: The Winter Solider made $714,421,503
Captain America: Civil War made $1,153,337,496

Success to Hollywood means Captain America: New World Order needs to make somewhere in these numbers and three times it budget to break even. Hopefully it can do as well as Winter Solider considering it's budget.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder how the public will react when they show up for a Captain America movie expecting Chris Evans and ends up with Anthony Mackie.
Old Cap gave Sam the shield in the second highest worldwide grossing movie ever.

So who expects Steve Rogers to be Captain America in CA4?

_caleb

By world wide grosses:

Success to Hollywood means Captain America: New World Order needs to make somewhere in these numbers and three times it budget to break even. Hopefully it can do as well as Winter Solider considering it's budget.
So you're saying that unless Cap 4 does at least as well as the two previous movies (CA:TWS and CA:CW) it will be a failure?

Both were helped immensely by what was happening with the rest of the MCU (CW was basically an Avengers movie), with momentum the franchise doesn't seem to have now at the tail end of phase 4.

erasure fan1

Oh. I hope it's good, too.

Do you not think race could be a factor in some fans' reluctance to accept Mackie in the role?
I don't think race will matter at all. Overall people loved Mackie as Falcon. The reluctance, if it happens, would most likely come from recasting Cap so soon. If you look at the most iconic castings in comic book movie history. Evans Cap is right at the top along with Downey, and Jackman as wolverine. This isn't passing the torch on a second tier hero. I love Paul Rudd as antman. But I wouldn't really care if someone takes the mantle after him. I personally think this transition would have worked better with a bit more time between.

Phroobar

So you're saying that unless Cap 4 does at least as well as the two previous movies (CA:TWS and CA:CW) it will be a failure?

Both were helped immensely by what was happening with the rest of the MCU (CW was basically an Avengers movie), with momentum the franchise doesn't seem to have now at the tail end of phase 4.
Yes. The movie must have been at least 200 million to make. That means they need 600 to turn a profit. It will be seen by Disney as the worst money maker of the Cap movies if it doesn't hit certain returns. They are starting from scratch with the character. We don't know how it will turn out. I really hope it is good but looking at Black Widow and the Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I'm worried.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
By world wide grosses:

A direct comparison is grossly unfair considering these numbers are for pre pandemic films. I think it is difficult to put a measure of success on a modern day film considering how much streaming has changed the landscape in the last few years.

MickeyMouse10

Educated guess based on the fact that Evans was done with the role which was then given to Mackie. He will not wanted to cone right back to the same movie franchise and possibly upstage Mackie in his first movie as Cap. Ain't never going to happen.

I assume you have some proof for saying that he is going to be in the movie??

Yes, I actually said I heard it somewhere. I didn't present it as a fact like you did in your very brief post.

Prince-1

Yes, I actually said I heard it somewhere. I didn't present it as a fact like you did in your very brief post.

Sorry, but I just don’t post nonsense I heard online and if I did I would post the link. I mean it makes absolutely no sense that Evans would be back in the first Captain America movie since Mackie took over. It would overshadow his MCU debut.

Last edited:

Phroobar

A direct comparison is grossly unfair considering these numbers are for pre pandemic films. I think it is difficult to put a measure of success on a modern day film considering how much streaming has changed the landscape in the last few years.
That is a mute point considering that Top Gun Maverick did $1,482,805,552 post pandemic and Spiderman No Way Home did $1,920,544,470.

CaptainAmerica

Sorry, but I just don’t post nonsense I heard online and if I did I would post the link. I mean it makes absolutely no sense that Evans would be back in the first Captain America movie since Mackie took over. It would overshadow his MCU debut.
The whole thing is just a giant marketing failure. They assume way too many people have kept up with the Disney+ shows religiously. The normal casual moviegoer has no clue that Captain America is anyone other than Chris Evans as Steve Rogers.

They should have called this movie "The Falcon."

GimpYancIent

The whole thing is just a giant marketing failure. They assume way too many people have kept up with the Disney+ shows religiously. The normal casual moviegoer has no clue that Captain America is anyone other than Chris Evans as Steve Rogers.

Absolutely correct Cap!

King Racoon 77

Premium Member

They retired Cap at the end of the last film . Don't need to keep up with D + to know that.

CaptainAmerica

They retired Cap at the end of the last film . Don't need to keep up with D + to know that.
Again, put your "casual moviegoer" hat on. They "retired Cap" but they're making Captain America 4. A casual moviegoer is confused by this.

And I have zero problem with Mackie being the new Cap. I would have been fine with them retiring the name entirely, I would have been fine with Bucky, and I'm fine with Sam. I just think it was a mistake to give it to Sam on Disney+.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Again, put your "casual moviegoer" hat on. They "retired Cap" but they're making Captain America 4. A casual moviegoer is confused by this.

And I have zero problem with Mackie being the new Cap. I would have been fine with them retiring the name entirely, I would have been fine with Bucky, and I'm fine with Sam. I just think it was a mistake to give it to Sam on Disney+.
To your "casual moviegoer" Steve handed over the shield to The Falcon at the end of Endgame. It doesn't require a Harvard degree to figure out that Steve is gone and Cap is someone else.

Phicinfan

Educated guess based on the fact that Evans was done with the role which was then given to Mackie. He will not wanted to cone right back to the same movie franchise and possibly upstage Mackie in his first movie as Cap. Ain't never going to happen.

I assume you have some proof for saying that he is going to be in the movie??
I will add per reports it won't be until the next Avengers movie that he is expected back. But those are all suppositions as well

Phroobar

To your "casual moviegoer" Steve handed over the shield to The Falcon at the end of Endgame. It doesn't require a Harvard degree to figure out that Steve is gone and Cap is someone else.
He could have come back considering all the multiverse crap they are pulling. It could have been a movie happening in the middle of the Infinity Stones storyline like they did with Black Widow. It could be anything to the casual moviegoer.

CaptainAmerica

It may be worth pointing out that if you put any stock in what WDW Pro says, it sounds like the toy companies have been taking it in the shorts with a lot of these character changes as well. Steve-as-Cap sells better than Sam-as-Cap, which isn't entirely surprising, but what I found interesting is that Sam-as-Falcon also apparently outsells Sam-as-Cap.

Phicinfan

It may be worth pointing out that if you put any stock in what WDW Pro says, it sounds like the toy companies have been taking it in the shorts with a lot of these character changes as well. Steve-as-Cap sells better than Sam-as-Cap, which isn't entirely surprising, but what I found interesting is that Sam-as-Falcon also apparently outsells Sam-as-Cap.
I bet that changes post Capt. America 4. To you previous point, if you are not tied into Disney +, then you don't know why Captain America suddenly is black, and not Steve Rogers.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I bet that changes post Capt. America 4. To you previous point, if you are not tied into Disney +, then you don't know why Captain America suddenly is black, and not Steve Rogers.
Other than anyone who saw old man Steve hand Sam the the shield at the end of the infinity saga. Seem to remember that was quite a lot of people 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom