Candelight Processional warning

jensenrick

Hi Tigger1988. I just wanted to say that you and I may have gotten off on the wrong foot, oh it must have been years ago now, and in the all the time since I've always appreciated the fact that you have been a bastion of rationality on these boards, yet I've never taken a moment to apologize to you for my initial harsh words.
So I do hereby sincerely apologize, and give voice to my appreciation of your contributions.

Mukta

But I'm so with him if he's saying that Disney has cut Christmas like crazy. It's so bad now, I don't even recommend that people come. I just today told a friend not to do it.

I have only been going to WDW during December for the past 3 years. Can you please tell me what they cut? I know about the LoW, but not much else.

Timekeeper

I have only been going to WDW during December for the past 3 years. Can you please tell me what they cut? I know about the LoW, but not much else.

Oh, the good ol' days...

4131137622_8fe8568aa7_z.jpg

luv

Oh, my gosh. They've cut so much I couldn't even remember all of it. The thing I miss most is the 'Twas the Night Before Christmas show during MVMCP. I also miss Lights of Winter a great deal...and the Christmas Country Bears.

There have been tons of cutbacks, but I miss those the most.

Goofnut1980

We went Monday night.. It was crazy how far back we were when we had the 645pm ressies... we were all the way to Morroco with the package tickets and we were 50 minutes early! But it was a great show.

NearTheEars

We were at tonight's 6:45 show. It was our first time. From the posts here I had expected a non religious show filled with basic holiday carols since many said they had removed references to Jesus.

To my surprise is was very much the classic telling of the Christmas story with plenty of religion. We loved it. I guess I shouldn't take posts so literal sometimes.

Mukta

I saw the 8:15 show on Friday night and it was still a beautiful show. It barely registered in my mind that it was shorter. It was still a long show and still a beautiful one. Dennis Haysbert did a great job.

Nicolle

We originally had the dinner package reservation and cancelled the day we got to Epcot and saw that line. During one visit we already saw a long line for the 8:15 reserved people as the 6:30 show was just starting!

NearTheEars

We originally had the dinner package reservation and cancelled the day we got to Epcot and saw that line. During one visit we already saw a long line for the 8:15 reserved people as the 6:30 show was just starting!

We did get in a line Saturday night that stretched to Morroco, but it moved quickly once the rope was dropped and we filed in to seats at about the halfway point of the theater. The line looks much longer than it actually is based on the open rows available even by the time we walked in. I don't, however, know how many standby folks made it in.

I know the line is long, but why did you cancel the package when it guaranteed you a seat? Just curious.

luv

Which makes you wonder why go that time of year and pay those kind of prices?
I used to tell people to visit then. Everything - all the hotels, even - was decorated so festively. There was so much to see and do. It was wonderful and festive and the Candlelight Processional was great, but just a nice part of it all.

Now the CP is the biggest thing they have going (other than the lights)...and they've made it less wonderful. I knew it wasn't as good when I saw it. I felt let-down, but couldn't put my finger on Why. I knew there were fewer horns, but something else was off, leaving a more Ho-hum feeling...just couldn't place it. Now I know.

It isn't worth paying Christmas prices and battling Christmas crowds. It just isn't. The CP, as it is now, isn't really worth the hassle. The lights are still great, but have been cut back over the years...as I understand it, will be cut further next year...

Sadly, I can no longer, in good conscience, advise people (friends, family, anyway) to visit WDW over Christmas.

Nicolle

It didn't seem worth it. I thought the whole point was to avoid the line. My 70 year old dad wasn't going to be able to stand in line for that long. My sister was the main one who really cared about the processional so she stood and watched it from the US area (I sat and listened, I don't really care if I can see the people.) Food was much more expensive than we remembered, so paying $70 something to stand in line for 2 hours didn't exactly seem like much of a value.

fillerup

I want to weigh in on the whole seating issue for CP since I believe there's a good deal of misunderstanding about this. Everything I post is based on my personal experience of attending 2 to 4 CPs per year, so you can mentally preface everything I type with "In my experience"... What I post is also based on numerous conversations I've had with CMs I know who have worked this event for many years, as well as conversations with two of the year round stage managers for the AG Theater.

To date, WDW doesn't sell this event out for packages. They might be able to if they wanted to but so far that hasn't happened. Standbys get into every performance, in fact hundreds get into every performance. Wife and I have gotten into every performance we've wanted to over the years and the only time we've queued for more than an hour (and less than 90 minutes) were for 2 Christmas Eve shows, including in 2011.

It's true that the package line frequently stretches to Morocco and beyond and while it seems impressive, it doesn't mean a lot in terms of filling the theater. That's a distance of about 800 feet which translates into around 800 to 1000 people. The theater capacity is around 1800 but for CP they routinely get closer to 2000 peope in.

I'm not dissing the package, but just making the point that standby is very doable for people who don't want or can't afford the price. Yes, people line up at ridiculously early times, but it doesn't have to be that way. This past Thanksgiving weekend, we lined up at 6:10 and were seated at 6:40. The standby line, after weaving in and out of the ropes, went back almost to Germany, but when all was said and done, 100 or fewer people didn't get in.

As with every other event in this theater, the third performance is the least busy. Something in the human condition that people want to be early or first or something. Or more likely, lots of folks want to stake out their fireworks viewing area.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they had a package and were loaded at the same time as standby and that it wasn't fair. In fact it was totally fair. Package holders are seated in front of the roped off standby and standby goes in behind the ropes.

Just one person's experience with this.

luv

If you have package tickets, there is no reason to line up so early the way they do. Just get in line fifteen minutes before show time. You'll get into the show.

Standby is a little different. If you get in line right before the show, you may or may not get in. Even if you get in, you may miss the first ten or fifteen minutes (but could always wait for the next show, if you like.)

Like others said, the later shows are easier to get into than the earlier ones. Tourists want to reserve fireworks spot and locals want to go home. :)

tribbleorlfl

Thanks to a helpful ambassador in GS (who reserved us seating to the 5:00 show this past Saturday to make up for missing the Sigourney Weaver narration earlier in the month), we got to enjoy CP this past Saturday with Blair Underwood (who did a wonderful job, I can see why they keep bringing him back).

Regarding what has been changed, we only noticed 3 things. 1) "Away in a Manger" had the same orchestration, but different choral parts. 2) "Let There be Peace on Earth" has been removed (though I'm OK w/ that as it was added after 9/11 and while a nice ssentiment, never seemed to fit). 3) As mentioned, the "One Solitary Life" narration has been replaced w/ the story of "Silent Night's" inception.

I agree w/ those who think it's a loss, however, I think it's less an example of the "war" on Christmas and more the publisher/owner of this passage exerting their copyright interests. Many think this is an anonymous poem (or from the Bible), however, it's actually an excerpt from a book of sermons. As ubiquitous as the passage is, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney (and others) started using it, not thinking they needed permission to do so.

fillerup

Regarding what has been changed, we only noticed 3 things. 1) "Away in a Manger" had the same orchestration, but different choral parts. 2) "Let There be Peace on Earth" has been removed (though I'm OK w/ that as it was added after 9/11 and while a nice ssentiment, never seemed to fit). 3) As mentioned, the "One Solitary Life" narration has been replaced w/ the story of "Silent Night's" inception.

I agree w/ those who think it's a loss, however, I think it's less an example of the "war" on Christmas and more the publisher/owner of this passage exerting their copyright interests. Many think this is an anonymous poem (or from the Bible), however, it's actually an excerpt from a book of sermons. As ubiquitous as the passage is, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney (and others) started using it, not thinking they needed permission to do so.

A couple of things. To my knowledge "Let There be Peace on Earth" has never been a part of CP. Rather, it's part of the Illuminations holiday tag. The song that was dropped was "Do You Hear What I Hear".

"One Solitary Life" wasn't replaced by the Silent Night story as both passages were included in 2012. "One Solitary Life" was simply dropped.

I don't believe the changes were due to copyright issues, but I also don't buy the war on Christmas idea. I think the reason for what was done is equally insidious. I think someone realized that they had 2000 people (with money in their pockets) just sitting around and enjoying the sounds of the season when they could have been off buying a boiled hot dog in a disintegrating bun instead.

With some of the orchestral music also being dropped at the end, I'm guessing they got the theater emptied ten or 15 minutes earlier than prior years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom