Candelight Processional warning

luv

We saw the show on Saturday night with whoopi. They have changed the narration a little- no longer talks about Jesus not going to college, ....all the things we define as great.....single most influential man.... They also don't do as much singing as the mass choir is exiting.
I knew things were missing and that it wasn't as moving, but couldn't remember what all was gone. They did take that out. I think they took some horn stuff out, too.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Not that I don't agree with you but ironic that we're talking about trees being IN the way when I'd give a million bucks to have tree back IN the hub at the MK. At least those weren't blocking the view of the fireworks.

Shade, glorious shade.

200px-Cinderella_castle_day.jpg
220px-Mainstreetflorida.jpg
magic-kingdom.jpg

images
images
images
Walt-Disney-Park.png

images
I'll take the shade.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I knew things were missing and that it wasn't as moving, but couldn't remember what all was gone. They did take that out. I think they took some horn stuff out, too.

From what I've been told, some narrators were taking far too many liberties with the printed script during these segments. Jim Cavaziel plugged his own movie (and hasn't been back since). You can watch that one on YouTube. Steven Curtis Chapman routinely changed "is considered by many to be the central figure of the human race" to "is the central figure of the human race".

I don't mind the cuts- the last part of the show always felt too preachy. The only thing I don't like is the current finale. It's non-musical and extremely anticlimactic. I miss the music swelling to We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

luv

From what I've been told, some narrators were taking far too many liberties with the printed script during these segments. Jim Cavaziel plugged his own movie (and hasn't been back since). You can watch that one on YouTube. Steven Curtis Chapman routinely changed "is considered by many to be the central figure of the human race" to "is the central figure of the human race".

I don't mind the cuts- the last part of the show always felt too preachy. The only thing I don't like us the current finale. It's non-musical and extremely anticlimactic. I miss the music swelling to We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
I don't really mind the guy plugging his movie or Chapman changing the words a little. It's a religious ceremony (or was), so no big deal. If they're going to sing the Hallelujah Chorus, they might as well do the poem. The chorus is far more Jesusy. I VERY MUCH liked Gary Sinise asking vets to stand and be applauded. Couldn't have clapped harder - hurt my hands. I hope they don't make him stop that.

Like so many things, I think the changes are for the worse...but that's Disney. Take something people love and New & Improve it until it's something people like (or even don't like.)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I don't really mind the guy plugging his movie or Chapman changing the words a little. It's a religious ceremony (or was), so no big deal. If they're going to sing the Hallelujah Chorus, they might as well do the poem. The chorus is far more Jesusy. I VERY MUCH liked Gary Sinise asking vets to stand and be applauded. Couldn't have clapped harder - hurt my hands. I hope they don't make him stop that.

Like so many things, I think the changes are for the worse...but that's Disney. Take something people love and New & Improve it until it's something people like (or even don't like.)

I'm sure Disney's problem with Cavaziel was that he was plugging a (very controversial) film that wasn't made by their studio, more than anything. Lol.

I missed Sinise this year (he's usually later in the season, this year he was the opener), so I have no idea if that bit has been cut. I can't imagine it has, though. I wouldn't worry. There was never anything remotely controversial about it.

Last edited:

SagamoreBeach

we were there during NPH...we created our own "candlelight dinner package". :) We grabbed quick service meals and two glasses of wine from the American Pavillion, dragged a couple of chairs closer towards the front of the entrance and heard almost the entire performance...without the hassles or lost vacation time of lining up hours in advance. There's really not that much to see and it was actually quite nice to relax under the open sky and not be jammed in with tons of other people in the theater. The only downside is the occasional loud talker that passes by, but it wasn't too bad. (I also found a full length version from last year's 2012 processional on YouTube...vs this year's shorter program...so I think I'll start a brand new WDW tradition by watching the full Candlelight Processional on Christmas Eve in my living room. (A little reminder of my vacation, since I miss it already.)

I've done this many times. And it's much more comfortable!
-T

Timekeeper

I missed Sinise this year (he's usually later in the season, this year he was the opener), so I have no idea if that bit has been cut. I can't imagine it has, though. I wouldn't worry. There was never anything remotely controversial about it.

Sinise has had his controversial moments...

437gary_senise_1.jpg

jensenrick

Yes, I was so happy when this made its way from Disneyland. Now, it is still amazing but an amazing bankroll for Disney. Fans fault.

While I agree that it was wonderful when it was free, I don't see how it's "fans fault" that Disney decided to charge for certain shows and entertainment.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I agree that it was wonderful when it was free, I don't see how it's "fans fault" that Disney decided to charge for certain shows and entertainment.
"Fans fault" is a bit of a stretch, but had people not purchased the CP dining package Disney would have discontinued it. The sad reality is it was something that enough people wanted and now it has come to a point where having it is almost required.

jensenrick

"Fans fault" is a bit of a stretch, but had people not purchased the CP dining package Disney would have discontinued it. The sad reality is it was something that enough people wanted and now it has come to a point where having it is almost required.

I'd say that's a bit more than a stretch, although I understand the sentiment. I'll agree that it is a reality that lots of people want to buy dinner packages, but disagree that it's sad.
Lots of people want to buy annual passes too, that's why they keep raising the prices.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'd say that's a bit more than a stretch, although I understand the sentiment. I'll agree that it is a reality that lots of people want to buy dinner packages, but disagree that it's sad.
Lots of people want to buy annual passes too, that's why they keep raising the prices.
Correct. The free market and the rules that go with it kind of stink if you end up on the wrong side of the equation.

fillerup

This is a worthwhile discussion of seating at Candlelight. I'm a pretty religious guy but this isn't the place for discussing a war on Christmas or Beck. You're gonna get it locked if you keep it up.

luv

It isn't just the religious stuff that they've cut. They've just cut back on everything Christmas like crazy.

dvitali

the same lines of text that was cut from the candlelight procession is also use in the Radio City Xmas Show in NYC before it was cut from it. Even the Nativity portion of the show was shortend not to offend anyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom