Cancelled Trip Blues

sweetpee_1993

So here's the thread for those of us forced to cancel trips for whatever reason to get their whine out. We all need to vent, right?

Between the expense of 2 evacuations for Hurricanes Gustav and Ike and now all the damage to my home from the 2nd storm we were forced to cancel our upcoming December trip. Our vacation fund became our insurance deductible fund. LOL! When we told the kids my 10 yr old son looked at me with his mouth gaping and said, "But Mom, we haven't missed a year in 5 whole years." We explained the situation for what it was to our boys and both understood. It just blows. I know I'll miss being in my happy place. ***sigh*** We're shooting for December 2009. Hopefully just after the 1st of the year we'll be able to see far enough beyond this storm mess to make some reservations again.

Anyone else got the cancelled-trip-blues????

diddy_mouse

We had to cancel..actually, postpone our anniversary trip (which was supposed to happen two weeks from now) because of money. It was a shame and I'm still a little bummed about it, but after having a good think on it we decided to reschedule it for February for DH's birthday.

Oh that reminds me...i need to cancel the ADRs I had for our anniversary dinner...d'oh! :(

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the positive thoughts and good vibes. After the insurance adjustor was here today I can see that this whole mess is going to be a huge fight to get them to pay for the proper repairs rather than just a quick cosmetic job. I can't live with mold. Either way, the house has to get fixed quickly. I guess a lot of this will be coming out of my pocket directly. I hate all of this. It's been a crumby day. Sorry for the whining.

All in all, tho, I know this isn't that big a deal. I mean, cancelling a trip if a family member passed would be like waaaay worse in the grand scheme of things. Plus, who am I to complain or whine when the damage to my house is so much less than those who lost everything. Ya know? I try to keep it in perspective....which I guess is hard for any of us Disney Fan-atics to do when we crave the place so much. LOL!

Oh yeah, WDW will be there when all this is long behind us. In retrospect, I'm glad we did the big blow-out trip we did last December. We always have our memories of past trips and fun in planning for the future.

THanks, y'all. At least I'm not alone. :wave:

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Sweetpee, I'm so sorry for your pain. I'm glad that you are all alive and safe. Just pray for everything to work out and it will in God's time. I feel your pain with adjusters. My car got destroyed by a hail storm while I was in the World this past June. It had well over $4200 dollars damage to it. That's not as major as a house, I know. It took a while to get it processed. Hang in there and I'll pray for you and all of the hurricane victims.

KingStefan, I'm so sorry for your financial woes. My prayers are with you.

We never take insurance out on our trips, but I'm starting to reconsider that now. You never know what holds for you.

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

Here's hoping all of you soon have peace of mind and good health again! We're all thinking of you. :wave:

Trip insurance is beginning to look more and more like a must-have item. I've never bought it before, but I'll be seriously considering it for future trips. I'm leaving in about two weeks, but my job situation is looking more and more unstable. What to do? Hotels are paid for, tickets are bought and nonrefundable and nontransferable (HHN, in this case) and I already have the AP. So, we're sticking with our trip. It'll be a much needed break from all the insanity.

Good luck to all!

Upvote 0

dvcmooch

Hang in there Folks!

When I first saw this thread, I thought it would be full of whining. But I see how sincere and thoughtful everyone has been. This shows me the true character of everyone who loves their family trips to WDW. Actually, I believe that you all have "mickey ears" attached to your hearts!
Fortunately, we have never had to cancel a trip to WDW, but we have had to rearrange a trip or two.

Sweet-pea, I hope your day tomorrow is a lot better than today. I know the children are disappointed that they can't go on their WDW vacation. But, you know, children are very resilient. They can bounce back in a heart beat. Before you know it, they'll be writing down their plans for the next trip. In the mean time, maybe you can put together a kind-of scrap book of Disney goodies that points towards a possible trip date. Sort-of like a combination scrapbook and calendar. Hopefully, your personal items and Disney memorabilia weren't washed away in the storm. If so, you could download and print some items off of the internet.

Everyone's stories on this thread were very touching. Thank-you all for reminding me how very special our family WDW trips are. For all of us who are struggling, remember . . . we can do all things through Him who strengthens us.

Upvote 0

Kerby626

It does suck having to cancel the trip. We were all excited for the trip in March. With cooking two babies now that is def off esp with them being due in late March early April. Hopefully we will be able to see you guys in Oct.

If nothing else maybe you guys can do a short trip or something to come see us and still see Disney

Upvote 0

jtced

Hurricane Memories

:(I'm sorry to hear about your stressors! I remember Hugo 19 years ago, I was young then but my parents too had to cancel a vacation because of cost to repairs and being out of work. I'm glad to hear that no one in your family was harmed and your home isn't a total loss.

We always go to Disney on our Anniversary. This year we choose to go to the mountains and save some money in the process and take a long weekend in Decemeber. Well that's changed too. We just cancelled that weekend. I'm 21 weeks pregnant and just been told to take it easy with complete previa (Yuck!) They kinda frowned when I asked about walking around the world.

Best of luck to you!

Soooo I'm looking to August next year.. How is it to take a 9 month old to Disney?:shrug:

Upvote 0

smk

I'm so sorry for everyone who can't go. Especially those who have real tragedies. It makes my problems seem small in comparison, and I am ashamed for feeling so sorry for myself. My prayers go out to all of you.

We were on the fence about planning a trip for Aug 2008, and we decided we couldn't really afford it, and that it would be best to wait. Then my wife lost her job. So we would have had to cancel anyway. Now I'm worried about how to pay for the kids activities (dance, karate, youth theater, etc.) and repairs on the house, etc. If we didn't have all that stuff, and ate fish sticks every night, we might just break even. As it is, I'm having to borrow against the house each month to keep my head above water. That can't go on forever; I'm almost at my limit. And you know how tight money is now.

If DW gets a job, and some other things happen, and all the stars line up, we might go next year. It will be a real shame if we can't, as younger DD will be 12 at the end of next year, and she really wants to visit the kids clubs she hasn't been to. The older one is a freshman in high school, and though I know they will always love WDW, pretty soon, they'll be too old for us to enjoy it as a family with younger kids. I may have to take another job or find some other way to make a few bucks.

Maybe I'll hit the mega tonight (yeah, right)!:lol:

I am so sorry that you all are going thru all you are. I know I don't "know" you but I know what you are feeling, I think. We have had some really scary things happen too, DH is in the housing industry so I don't need to say more than that, but I have a good job, and we own rental properties so we are getting by. Despite all of that I have had a nagging sense of uneasyness for the past year. I have the good fortune to be going to WDW next month for a work related conference and DH is going too, so we do get to go. Last year we had to cancel a trip at the last minute due to DH having emergency open heart surgery (all is well). This year, a year to the day he had his surgery we are leaving to go on our trip. So we feel blessed. Stay positve and keep your chin up, things always look darkest before the dawn....and keep playing the lottery cause someones gotta win, might as well be you! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom