Canada Martin Short 360: worst film on property

Walt Disney1955

China's film was updated in 2003. Disney changed the name of the film from Wonders of China to Reflections of China even.

I know at 2017 D23 that it was announced that China is getting a new film.

France is the only pavilion in world Showcase that still has its complete original 1982 film.

Is that from 2003? Wow, it looks older. It's still fine, no problems. If there is anything they can change with this thing it is having seats. France does it well. The 360 thing doesn't do anything for me. With Epcot you are walking an awful lot so a seat is nice.

Paper straw fan

This has given me an idea. Everyone bear with me on this and keep an open mind, but what if Disney were to renovate the current 360 theater flooring, and replace it with a teacup attraction? Keep the movie and screen layout the same, but rather than guests standing idly and having to constantly turn their heads to see all angles of the show, they now spin whimsically during the film presentation...as the ride does all the necessary turning for them. This will eliminate achy neck issues, and allow guests to observe all key scenes that would otherwise be missed if they were standing. Of course, they'll most likely miss most of the show due to the speed in which they'll be spinning, and there will be issues with severe nausea, headache, and seizure occurrences upon ride's end... but at least no more having to turn slightly in order to enjoy all of the film's splendor.

It’s an interesting idea- not sure they’d want to put that kind of investment into it, but it’s creative. If I was someone in charge of innovating at WDW, that’s the kind of ideas I’d want to hear in discussions. (I would upgrade the film to HD first and foremost)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is that from 2003? Wow, it looks older..
A lot of it is yes. Some footage is from Wonders of China. However, O’Canada! 2007 recycled a lot more of its own previous version. It also took a “sneakyl option of adding more single screen footage duplicated nine times rather than every reshot scene being in CV360. 65% of the current Canada film was not seen in the original, but the majority is either none CV or unused footage from 1982.

ravensworth

I think it's time to say bye to the circle screen altogether and add a log ride. People love rides, they don't want to go see a documentary about any country (the Norway film-how many stayed for that after the ride?). If you look at the log ride they had at Ontario place (now closed) something similar could be adapted to the Canada area. Yes I know it has been suggested before, but we all know there is a massive amount of space to make one and it could start at the abandon stores on the top...

jt04

I think it's time to say bye to the circle screen altogether and add a log ride. People love rides, they don't want to go see a documentary about any country (the Norway film-how many stayed for that after the ride?). If you look at the log ride they had at Ontario place (now closed) something similar could be adapted to the Canada area. Yes I know it has been suggested before, but we all know there is a massive amount of space to make one and it could start at the abandon stores on the top...

I am putting this in a time capsule to be uncovered in 15 years or so.

jt04

A lot of it is yes. Some footage is from Wonders of China. However, O’Canada! 2007 recycled a lot more of its own previous version. It also took a “sneakyl option of adding more single screen footage duplicated nine times rather than every reshot scene being in CV360. 65% of the current Canada film was not seen in the original, but the majority is either none CV or unused footage from 1982.

Sneaky? You are much too kind.

jt04

Is that from 2003? Wow, it looks older. It's still fine, no problems. If there is anything they can change with this thing it is having seats. France does it well. The 360 thing doesn't do anything for me. With Epcot you are walking an awful lot so a seat is nice.

I'm hoping digital and seamless bring back some of the initial awe. Time will tell.

Lucky

This has given me an idea. Everyone bear with me on this and keep an open mind, but what if Disney were to renovate the current 360 theater flooring, and replace it with a teacup attraction? Keep the movie and screen layout the same, but rather than guests standing idly and having to constantly turn their heads to see all angles of the show, they now spin whimsically during the film presentation...as the ride does all the necessary turning for them. This will eliminate achy neck issues, and allow guests to observe all key scenes that would otherwise be missed if they were standing. Of course, they'll most likely miss most of the show due to the speed in which they'll be spinning, and there will be issues with severe nausea, headache, and seizure occurrences upon ride's end... but at least no more having to turn slightly in order to enjoy all of the film's splendor.
Or you can just watch it 12 straight times, 30 degrees at a time.

thomas998

Why not? I like narration, nothing wrong with some play by play on what we are looking at. Would some other Canadian be preferable.

I like Ryan Reynolds and Seth Rogan. lol how about Captain Kirk? the original one,he's pretty funny in the hotel.com commercials
Frankly I kind of agree with his point on narration being someone famous.. Who really cares if a famous person is narrating the show or some unknown.... I mean imagine it was narrated by the guy that used to do all the NFL highlight reals... or maybe if it was done by someone with a more serious sounding voice. His voice just doesn't really command your attention or make the show seem exciting, whenever I hear his voice I instantly think about Jack Frost from Santa Clause II... Maybe that's the best reason not to use a famous person, because some people will start thinking about the last role they saw them in and that isn't the point of a narration on a travel film.

Raineman

I have to say, I never thought I’d see an Ontario Place reference on here, but it makes me happy. I rode the Ontario Place Wilderness Adventure ride quite a few times as a kid, the first log ride type of attraction I ever experienced, and would love to see a similar attraction at the Canada pavilion. Come to think of it, Ontario Place was a bit of a mini-Epcot-the educational aspects, a few rides and a geodesic dome.

JohnD

I wouldn't say it's the worst film on property but it is dated. Apologies to Mr. Short, but when was the last time we saw him in anything? He was most famous when he was on SNL and starred in The Three Amigos.

Goofyernmost

I wouldn't say it's the worst film on property but it is dated. Apologies to Mr. Short, but when was the last time we saw him in anything? He was most famous when he was on SNL and starred in The Three Amigos.
After his wife died in 2010, he didn't do much. But, he had a very rapid and fruitful career up until then. He stopped doing movies but has been very active in the last few years, but, you would have had to go to Broadway to see him and later to the now famous teaming of he and Steve Martin in on the road touring shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom